I'm dating a JW, and need some advice!

by changtech 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• changtech
    changtech

I just want to thank everyone again! This has really reinforced my free-minded beliefs that this relationship could never work out. I know if I show him information, he will most likely dismiss it. It is just very sad to see that such good people get trapped in this organization. I'm happy there is some outreach (such as this forum), that has real people who have gone through real issues within the organization. You all are very strong people, and it's nice to see that many did have a chance to get out, although I can't imagine the hardships you guys had to endure. Thanks again for all of the advice!

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

Blondie's advice is invaluable. You've already experienced the attempt of Jehovah's Witnesses to control your life. It will be a hundred times worse if you become one. The young man may have many wonderful attributes. But he sees you only in the context of his religious leanings. This alone should be an alert.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    My boyfriend has basically told me (in a nice way, however), that the only way we can remain together in the future, is if I eventually convert to his faith. This tears me apart, as we are very much in love, and I don't seem to be the top priority in his life, as he is in mine.

I don't think so - I would say that you are - it doesn't make for a marriage, and it's likely to be much more worse in the future - at least now you currently still have yourself, don't lose that too - can you not see that his self is not his, to be himself.

Imagine a young boy who is scolded and told by his parents that he's not to be you friend, and he does what they tell him, and becomes something else, and not the person you were thinking you knew - that's pretty much it, except these are adults we're talking about.

I realize it has been drilled into his head that Jehovah is the priority in his life.

Not even that - being sanctioned as a member of the wt society is his priority, and his idea of what prioritising 'jehovah' is all about

------------------------------------------

It's not a good thing

• hindweb
    hindweb

Religion does play a lot of big roles in your life. Interfaith marriages require a lot of compromise. but at the end of the day, it all depends on how much you guys love each other.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit