Are YOU Basically The Same Person Now As When You Were A Witness?

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

NO

I was born 1957 3rd gen to devout hardcore JW parents during the boom years of the Watchtower cult and severe school persecution during the 'better dead than red' 1960's

So until my exit 1992 i was a hysterical hollow zombie now i have found that deep down i am a compassionate humanitarian because it's me and it's the right way to be i have NO FEAR now of an adverse judgement for God.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Now that I'm not self-righteously judging people, I have much more compassion for them.

• xjwms
    xjwms

I think I am a better person.

No more guilt, fault and blame in my life. whew

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    They say "The Truth" changes people from nasty, wicked people to meek, honest hearted "ones".

Well I was stil a kid when I got involved - but due to all the early abuse I was heading into serious trouble (not me doing things but rather me setting myself up for some pretty serious victim of other people. Being a JW didn't make me better or worse. It supplied a framework that I could use to protect myself from getting into some bad situations I played by the WT rules and was a good little dub.

Now that you're out of "The Truth", are you back to your old ways??

For a while I was. Not haviung learned about boundaries as a kid and then the WTS providing all boundaries I had little opportunity to learn how to protect myself. It didn't take too long for me to realize that some of what I was doing was hurting me and I had to learn a lot and fast.

Did "The Truth" ever really change you???

Leaving the WTS/JWs and therapy gave me the skills I needed to think for myself and how to protect myself. I'm also much more comfortable with myself. Before I was the person hiding in the corner and I still tend to do that with strangers. But I can get up in front of a hundred people and lecture and feel in my element (in the KMS I hated public speaking) My life is no longer based on appearances and fear but rather on my sense of right and wrong. I'm still a care-taker, making sure others are OK but now I know when and how to set limits yup I like me a lot better now

• Borgia
    Borgia

Copy that Serendipity.

cheers

Borgia

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I am a better person now than when I left the organization in 83, I've grown and matured.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Yes, minus the judging. And you know that is a wonderful thing to let go of.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I'm not the same person I was a minute ago or the same person I'll be a minute from now. When I look back on my JW days (which happened many years ago), it's like it all happened to someone else. The memories have the quality of a dream/nightmare from which I finally awakened.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Did "The LIE" ever really change you???Sure did!!!! I was a swearer, teller of dirty jokes, smoker,knew who was going to heaven, self rightous.

But when I found out the real truth...That I am FREE.!!! I still dont swear( well not always) I dont smoke, dirty jokes???? I read em..sometimes & yes I laugh... I can go to any church, I have visitors nearly EVERY day, Catholics, Protestants, .,Atheists,some gay! some smokers, They have to go outside I cant stand the smell. . Well I guess I am still bossy, self rightouscompulsive talker.....But I love to LAUGH!!!!! I did that in the WT... too, But I am laughing even harder now....

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, I'm a good, honest, hard-working, "nice" person because that is who **I** am, not because of anything the WTS did. How dare they ever try and take credit for me.

I think I'm probably a better person now because I care more about non-witnesses instead of seeing them as some kind of "non people" who will be trashed by god for a purpose.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit