BOE letter dealing with old sins

by Masterji 19 Replies latest jw friends

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

Here's a link to a thread from June of 2001 [started by Jim (Amazing)] that expands on these issues.

The thread is entitled: "WTS Says Elders Sins Don't Count"

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/7414/1.ashx

---Dan

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

What you wrote is very true, but I don't remember if it was a letter or if it was in a KM or something.

Even when it came out I thought it was a double standard. I think they were hurting for elders long before we knew about it.

HappyDad

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

I'm a bit foggy on the following point but: I seem to recall that the above referenced policy was modified around the time I left (Late 1990's) as it related to pedophilia type sins, modified as in making that particular sin more of a deal-breaker as far as continuing to serve as an Elder/MS, but there were exceptions allowed.

---Dan

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hello Masterji,

Naturally it is best to have the printed word in hand to prove a point. I do not. But I have thought back over the years to various articles and key words and phrases that stuck in my noggin. I am absolutely certain of the key words (almost verbatim): 'this type of sin'...'three years'...'minimum'...'before reinstatement'. I am fairly certain of two points: 1) it was a major WT article, and 2) it referenced sexual sins. If you ever saw THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER, with George C. Scott, you will understand the method of recall of which I speak. I hope this is somewhat on track.

Yours truly,

Compound-Complex

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi HS,

I believe that we have covered this ground before?...I am getting a deja-vu here, or maybe I am just having yet another senior moment.

Yes, we have covered this ground before ... your memory is correct. The extended application for us was made in the fall of 1991 at the Kingdom Ministry School held at Woodburn, Oregon Assembly Hall. When I posted on this a few years ago, several other ex-Elders confirmed the same, and even had notes in their "Pay Attention" book. But, others did not remember. I also recall that those outside the USA had different or delayed information presented.

The provision included Ministerial Servants too, but did not extend to Publishers or Pioneers. I do not believe that there ever was or would be a BOE letter on such things. This is one of those little teachings (actually a big teaching) that the Society cleverly keeps little or no published record. That way, they can change it at a moment's notice with little or no resistence.

Hi VM44: Yes, you are correct, in theory that is. But, the Watchtower Society, as we well know, is quite capable of doing things outside their own published theory. Here is my original posting on the topic and a complete discussion of the Oct. 1972 KM:http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/7414/1.ashx

Jim Whitney

• xjwms
    xjwms

Interesting

add it to the long list of rules already in place.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I dont know about you , but I found it necessary to go back and put all this in context.

My copy of the old "Organization Book" 1972 says on p 170 (In the context of a Judicial committee, thus serious sins, but where reproof was deemed suitable)

If the person was serving as an elder or a Ministerial Servant when he committed a serious wrong even though it was some years ago , he bears a degree of reprehensibility for he continued to serve in that position knowing that he had, for that time at least, disqualified himself , not being free from accusation. He should have informed the judicial committee that he did not adhere to the requirements and should have stepped down from his position . In view of his failure to do so at that time he would now be removed from that position .

km

10/72p.8QuestionBox***

What

ismeantby"someyearsago"onpage170,paragraphtwo,inthe"Organization"book?

This indicates more than a year or two. It may be noted that it did not say "many years ago." So it is not an exact number of years, but more like two or three years. It was not intended to have a brother go back into the distant past to bring up wrongs of which he repented years ago and that have evidently been forgiven by Jehovah and are not being practiced now. In many cases the wrongs occurred prior to the time when the "Watchtower" drew attention to what the Scriptures say on such misconduct.

If a brother has been serving faithfully for some years and has seen evidence of Jehovah’s blessings upon him, why should he now step down from office? If he has the right viewpoint now on conduct and will give good counsel he should be able to continue to serve. If the local body of elders see that he has the respect of the congregation and has shown the proper qualifications over the last two or three years, he may remain in his position of service.

Must wrongdoing be brought to public attention after many years? The book (page 168) under "Public Reproof" quotes 1 Timothy 5:20 and mentions reproof of those who confess to committing more than one offense. But it really has to do with recent events. The "Interlinear" refers to those "sinning," something going on at the time. So if repentance occurred some years ago, three years ago or more, and sinning ceased, and he is respected by the congregation, it is not necessary now to publicly reprove one who committed more than one offense "some years ago."

BTW An old friend of mine, by then an ex elder confessed to having had sex with his wife before they were married , that had been many years previous. They were let off wit a counseling session, not even a committee hearing.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

My MTS grad contacts say its now unofficially five years. Their has to be a back door for the sineers who write the rules no?

tsof

• Thompson
    Thompson

Does that mean that my ex husband gets away with fornication, now we are both even as I commited adultry? I dont think so! One rule for them and one for us!

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

http://www.silentlambs.com/education/letter_wt_06012001.cfm

Try this link ,it is a BOE from England which suggests a person who sinned (molested in this case) some time ago can be appointed to the body if the sin was some time ago .Note this also applies to elders currently serving who were molesters some time before.

As long as Bethel says it's ok to serve then the elder body can appoint or reaffirm the persons position as an elder. Perhaps they figure that if nobody remembers the molestation any more then it's ok to put them or keep them in power! I hope this helps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit