Do you like SPAM? (The food, not the junk mail)

by free2beme 34 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I know, it is America's most hated food. People hear the name, and instantly they say, "That stuff is so sick!" Yet in the state of Hawaii, it is the most popular food, BARE NONE! Because I have been to Hawaii a lot, it took a few times, but I finally on one trip tried a Hawaiian favorite that is called Spam Musubi.

It is basically made like this (above). I have added on to the recipe, to put some elements of Sushi into it too. As I am a massive Sushi fan.

Recipe

Make White Rice (Sushi Rice with Vinegar is okay, but depends on your taste)

Cut Spam into thin slices.

Fry the Spam, but don't burn it.

Saute Yellow onion in butter, that is chopped fine.

Wet a seaweed wrap and put about a inch thick of white rice down.

Top the rice with the onions.

Take some Wasabi and spread a slight thin layer on SPAM and place the SPAM Wasabi down on top the onions.

Wrap the Seaweed around it all. Should be square in shape. The seaweed can be just a couple inches long, to the length of the SPAM piece, up to you.

I dare you to try this, and not like it. I remember the first time I tired it, I was thinking YUCK, no way and I would not try it. Then I took a bite and I was hooked. I know why the Hawaiians love it so much, it is great. It is not like what you would think, something that is gross of nasty tasting. It is the opposite, it is tasty and really really good. Going to make some right now for snacks. I have gotten so many people started on these, that I friends at work beg me to make them and bring them to company functions for food. You have to try it!

This is in all grocery stores in Hawaii

• Asheron
    Asheron

Spam spam spam spam Spam spam spam spam

SPAM

WONDERFUL SPAM

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

Love Spam Samichs...oh and cucumber/spam salad in the summer

• lola28
    lola28

I don't think I've ever had Spam.

Lola

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

Mmmmmm....fried spam...little dijon.....fried potatoes/peppers/onions

• hambeak
    hambeak

Have you looked what it is made with? YUCK!!!!!!!!!!! I hate the crap eat real food not the left overs of the animal. It was developed during WW2 for the Brits to have something to eat at least that is the history over here If that is wrong correct me.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear SPAM-mers,

I was doing my bargain shop at the canned food warehouse the other day, and saw a little girl point to a can and say, "Mommy, what's SPAM?" I was so busy trying to think up a smart-aleck answer that all I caught was "not good." That I was in that aisle at that moment, hearing those artery-clogging words. I mean, is this fate or what? Here I am now, bashing SPAM on JWD. (I love SPAM!)

SPAM and EGGS FOREVER!,

CoCo

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I just posted a spam 'n eggs picture on my fantasy football site 2 days ago.

I eat Spam Musubi every year in Hawai'i and have made it at home.

Neat!

I LOVE SPAM, but I'm also a salt addict which may explain it! LOL

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

Have you looked what it is made with?

Parts is parts....bologna....hot dogs.....SPAM ! Chitlins, tripe, hocks & knuckles, frogs legs....all "real" food....but I'll still take Spam anyday. LOL

• delilah
    delilah

Nope, and I don't like spackle( is that what it's called?) either... *shudders*....or grits.....*gags*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit