Do you like SPAM? (The food, not the junk mail)

by free2beme 34 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

Amazing coincidences in this thread!

After our Thanksgiving dinner, my family and I waddled our turkey/stuffing/potatoes/biscuit-laden bodies to the living room and watched American Eats on the Food Channel.

One of the subjects covered was the origins of Spam. Hormel started its business by canning hams. The meat remaining on the pork shoulders was difficult to cut off the bone, so was discarded. To reduce the waste, they began mixing the pork shoulder meat with some seasonings and called the result Spam (a shortened form of Spiced Ham).

The Hormel spokeperson vigorously denied that snouts, ears, hooves, organs or any other part of the pig was used in Spam.

That being said, I have to admit I've never been a big fan of Spam (or scrapple - ugh!). But I plan to try the Spam recipe Free2beme posted. I try not to be close-minded about anything, whether it's food products or religion.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Yuck!

• hubert
    hubert

Once in a while, I'll cut spam into slices about 1/8 inches thick, fry it until a little crispy, (both sides) then put it on bread, with mayonaise, and while it is stil hot, add a slice of cheese. It's delicious!!

They also have a "lite" Spam now, too. Not as salty, but still pretty good.

Hubert

• pobthespazz
    pobthespazz

Ham , Spam and Luncheon Meat , the staple diet of British working class kids during the 70's still have a tinned spam sandwich occasionally but with a high salt level , its time to give the pink meat a miss.

• free2beme
    free2beme

It sounds like SPAM is a very popular food in Europe. In the USA when you like SPAM, you kind of keep it in the closet as it is a ridiculed meat. I love it though!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit