Suggestions for "The Internet" defense ... roadblock?

by gordon d 13 Replies latest jw friends

• gordon d
    gordon d

Wanderer reminded me of an answer that I frequently get when confronting Dubs with information obtained through the internet. Even if it's a scan of a WTS publication, the typical Dub seems to be well schooled in refusing to give ANY credibilty to ANYTHING that comes from a website other than watchtower.org.

Has anyone had any luck finding more "credible" sources for info? I have some bound volumes as well as some old texts that I can use for some points but I was thinking that if I were to ask someone to email a scan of a particular article, I would (honestly) be able to say that it came from a search of documents (both WTS and secular) and did not come from some apostate-witness-bashing-website.

I have seen a willingness of JWD members to provide just about anything ever requested... Thanks!

Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

• under_believer
    under_believer

First of all, most Witnesses can be talked into accepting information from the evil Internet, as long as you tell them WHERE on the Internet it came from. For example, the United Nations website could be reliably assumed to have information about UN membership.

If they're going to argue that point, you're probably wasting your time.

Other sources--the public library system often has Witness publications, including old ones, in it. Various Witnesses have personal libraries that contain older publications. There is always the Watchtower Library CD-ROM, an image of which you can probably still download from somewhere. And lastly if you or someone you know has access to a Kingdom Hall library, there is usually a wealth of ridiculous old Studies In the Scriptures and other crap in there you can just pull right out and point to, if you have your spiel rehearsed.

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

I bought a lot of older pubs on Ebay when I studied my way out. I have kept the most damaging ones in case I get the opportunity to share it with someone else. Under believer made a good point about the Library at the KH.

Other than that, if its not an original it must be a copy and these days most copies are digital. I was not aware of the Dubs complete unacceptance of digital information from the internet. How odd. Another way of being kept in control and being denied information that is available to the general public. It makes sense because if what you believe is false then you have to hide from the truth. Since the internet is a huge library where statements can be verified as true or false I guess it would be dangerous to the Dubs belief system.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I had two JW elders refuse to look at the 25+ WTBTS publications I placed on a dining room table at a friend's home three weeks ago.

JW's recognise manure when they see it even if it has no discernable odor.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I had a visit from my Dub 'supplier' about 3 weeks ago, (nice chap but not terribly bright) and I sat him down with a coffee and went straight to the UN NGO site and printed off a copy of the correspondence and asked what he knew about this scandal.

He said it was just some apostates trying to make trouble. I asked him why the UN would go to the trouble of making a statement incriminating the Watchtower just to please a bunch of apostates? His reply? It's not true, why not write to the branch office and see what they say?!

So unbeliever is right, you can't use reason with somebody who wont think.

• carla
    carla

Not only are scans not good enough but simply having the idea come from apostates is now taboo. For instance, take any of the scandals like the UN, my jw now won't even discuss it because the only way I could have heard about was through apostates. His answer is how would you even think to look into something like that? Malawi/Mexico? same thing. The only other avenue is pedophiles because they are actually in the news today and come from non apostate sources. Mind control at its worst.

• SB
    SB

i've been trying to find, on the U.N website, correspondence regarding the WBTS. I have no doubt it's true, i would just like to be able to produce a document to my family if they should ever inquire as to why i left....

Thanks!

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

Hi SB

Go to un.org

Click on "Welcome"

Click on "About the United Nations"

Click on "NGO Section"

Click on "Relative Documents and Events"

Click on "Watchtower Bible and Tract Society"

There you are!

CyrusThePersian

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

The JWs should reject any information that originates from "apostate" sources. In other words, they should reject the bible itself. There was no bible as we know it today when Jesus was on the earth. It was the Catholics who decided which books should be part of the bible canon.

The JWs love to trash the source of information, but only when it suits them.

W

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

They reject any information from anyone if it's goes against Watchtower policies. Doesn't matter if it's an apostate, pagan, Jesus Christ, or Jehovah. They just won't listen because it didn't come from the Watchtower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit