Highly Recommend Chef Marc's High Heat Turkey Recipe

by JamesThomas 26 Replies latest jw friends

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Found here: http://www.chefmarc.com/index

There are videos; and also go down to "Other Features" for written instructions.

I have followed his instructions the past two years for all the many turkeys baked, and they always come out crispy on the outside and superbly moist on the inside.

I also recommend doing a salt brine soak the night before baking: http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/10-9-2001-5239.asp

You'll love the turkey you get with a overnight brine soak and high heat bake.

Bon appetit

j

• Scully
    Scully

Thanks for sharing, JamesThomas!

Every year since leaving the JWs, I've been trying to learn how to cook turkey - it was one thing I never learned to do growing up in a JW home. We never had occasion to cook one.

I'm thinking of trying goose at Christmas time this year.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

That DOES sound like a winner, thanks! Alton Brown on "Good Eats" (gods, I just love that darlin' nerd Alton) pretty much suggested brine soak and high heat, too. He even had a geeky little show-and-tell to illustrate what the brine does to the meat scientifically.

Ha. I just love Alton.

Cheers and happy brine-soaked-bird day, everybody!
    Baba.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Scully, I've never cooked a goose (though I have had many occasion where my goose has been cooked), so I don't know about high heat for that. However, this brine and high heat bake has worked so continuously well for me with turkey that I am confident you will find it wonderful as well (with turkey). Once I hit on this method I cook turkey throughout the year. It's a wonderfully healthy and tasty meat, makes great sandwiches, and makes for a very good soup with all the bones and remaining pieces. You can cook a 12 pounder in less than 2 hours.

You know you're no longer a JW when you do good turkey.

j

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Have you ever watched people pick out a turkey at the grocery store......they pick every single turkey up, inspecting it.....and it is in a wrapper you cant see through and frozen solid!

What are they looking for?

I remember you posting this last year!!

purps

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Best brand of turkey I have purchased (years now) is Honeysuckle White. It is always moist and good. There is a possibility that I simply learned how to make a good turkey, but I really doubt it. This brand is too consistent and if there is anything I am NOT, it is consistant.

• vitty
    vitty

Im definitely going to try this

Does anyone know what 525 degrees is in celcius ?

• fokyc
    fokyc

525 F = 274 Celsius

• vitty
    vitty

Thankyou

• Room 215
    Room 215

Very interesting... the most daunting step in this method is starting the bird cooking on its breast and then flipping a superheated 20-pounder over on its back to finish it at midpoint through the process.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit