Why do women love religion?

by Kaethra 69 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

You have a point, or two, or three

~grunts and heads back to cave~

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I've pondered this so much. Most religions, even though they are male-dominated, boast a predominately female population. I've tried and tried to understand why otherwise independent women would give up their autonomy to a man-led faith and just recently I think I understand why...women, much more so than men, are in need of protection. There are so many bastards out there that hurt us that it makes us want a father figure that cares about us...well...that's what I think anyway...discuss!

Excellent thread! If only to see Ballistic get hot under the collar LOL Seriously though, I agree, most religions have continued to reinforce societies largely successful attempt at placing women in a subordinate position to men, and further it does indeed beg the question as to why women are drawn to these religions or cross sections of societies. In truth I am not sure and its the subject of some considerable debate as to whether or not the reasons are psychological or sociological or indeed both. Personally I think the Bible is chauvinistic and it is often clearly written from a male perspective as opposed to a place of equality - this often provides certain religions with the so call biblical authority to place women into subordinate positions. Some of these scriptures, for example (Ephesians 5:22 and Genesis 3:16), (1 Timothy 2: 11-12 and 1 Corinthians 14:34-35) and (1 Corinthians 11: 3-16), are key to the chauvinistic philosophies offered by such religions including Jehovahs Witnesses. These relate to subjection, male dominance, and silence in church etc. Less direct inequalities in the bible surround marriage and the scriptural grounds for divorce; for example if the husband is abusive she can leave but cannot scripturally divorce thus being retained as a chatel by her abuser until he decides to admit to committing adultery; the two witness rule bites women at a more crucial point too as proof of his adultery will almost be impossible unless she has evidence. If she takes the initiative and decides to see other people, within a JW context she is at risk of being ostracised by her congregation, existing family and the people who form part of her social network. It is male oppression at its very best in my view. I cannot say that every religion is sexist but generally where there is male domination within such an environment you will find inequalities on various levels. Personally the reasons why women are drawn to such environments is largely sociological and psychological in that society on the whole has predominantly placed women into such roles and less liberated women are not resistant to such treatment. Education is the answer in my view and incidentally, what is it that Jehovahs Witnesses are against? - surprising isnt it? Gary

• jgnat
    jgnat
    less liberated women are not resistant to such treatment

*ahem*

I gave several reasons in my response on this thread. Though leadership is nominally male, the programs themselves are primarily run by women. These programs are geared to meet the needs of families. Hence, the attraction to religion by women. I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent and independent.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I gave several reasons in my response on this thread. Though leadership is nominally male, the programs themselves are primarily run by women. These programs are geared to meet the needs of families. Hence, the attraction to religion by women. I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent and independent.

Jgnat

I know theres a real danger of over generalising but lets be frank, you are intelligent and independent and the religion you follow or Christian group you are part of is quite forward thinking (although hardly perfect). In that respect I can see why you and many others of like mind would be attracted to this. You can see there is an exception in your circumstances.

You wouldnt be attracted to say Jehovahs Witnesses, (doctrine aside) if you believed they oppressed women and treated them like second class citizens, yet so many women are as they might be to other so called Christian groups that treat them similarly - my thoughts simply dealt with this end of the spectrum and with apologies did not account for those religions or groups that are a little more balanced in their views on women and their roles within religion.

Hope this clarifies

DB74

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Kaethra

Ballistic is trying to point out your comment was misotestisic; it stereotyped a vast group of people. A man saying 'there are so many bitches out there' would be rightly castigated for being misogynistic; why should you not be subject to the same standard?

Ross

I would suggest it's because the women intuitively know that religion makes more sense, even if it has become a rarer thing for religion to be female led, as in the past.

Not biting, but smiling.

~

As for women being the main part of the congregation of religions and not in the heirachy... errr... well, no. Yes if you look at Christianity. But Islam? Women are sidelined even as members of the congregation. Likewise Hinduism. Other faiths are also-rans and not really relevent for a discussion on super-large groups.

So why should a patriarchal, misogynistic religious system attract so many sincere devout female members to the congregation, even thought they are typically denied any real part?

Well.. actually, for Centuries women could step-out of secular society and become a nun and be more than a member of the congregation. And as for centuries 'Christian' meant Catholic (or its Eastern versions), men also had to step out of secular society to be more than a member of the congregation.

Discounting the past few hundred years men and women had to become celebate to be anything more than members of the Congregation.

So looking at the issue historically it is far less biased than one might suppose. Certainly not a situation where there was equality... but not one of such vast desparity as one might think.

The question NOW is why in this day women still form the main strength of the Congregation in the Christian religions where they are denied progression in the religious hierachy, and normally are not deemed competent to have control over their own reproductive capacity.

Because most of those women are older and grew up in a society where that was the best they could hope for? And younger women in such religions typically come from developing countries where equality is not yet widely accepted and that that is the best they can hope for?

I'm all in favour of actually worshipping women; we could replace the cross with the sacred coffee bean (or mussle of love) (go look at one if you can't figure it out), and mass with 'licking the bean' and re-affirming our connection with the divine female essence... okay, yes, I am horny, I'm on a business trip and absent certain home comforts...

• Scully
    Scully

LT:

That's the wonder of VVs. They could be virgins again and again and again...

or just thrown in the volcano to appease the volcano gods...

see, and there's that fascination with and placing a ridiculously high value on female virginity creeping into the conversation.... in a female led religion, the women would be the experienced ones and the men would be the vestal virgins....

• jgnat
    jgnat
    Hope this clarifies

Sweetly, diamondblue. In your defence, it was the Witnesses that forced me to question the woman's secondary role in the church.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gyles:

Not biting, but smiling.

My tongue in cheek comments are wasted on folks, I tell ya, wasted...

Scully:
    I was tempted to post some comment about Mr Lava Luvva, but I'll resist, for fear of getting poor Gyles even more hot and bothered

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

My husband and I have discussed this on many occansions. A lot because I wondered why I was always pushing him to do more spiritually.

Our conclusion is that women are emotional and men are analytical. Religion is a very emotional experience. Emotion attracks women. We love to talk about our feelings, thoughts and ideas. Whereas men in general tend to analyze things and then go on. They will either agree or disagree and then the subject is dropped.

At least this is our opinoin.

Loruhamah

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I have asked this many times.

I asked a guy at work and he said it was because men are not used to having to be subordinate to anyone and as a Christian you have to rely on and be subordinate to Christ. He said that this is hard to do for him.

I on the other hand am used to being subordinate and quite like it :) ... I'm fine with someone taking over responsibility.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit