The Science of Belief

by LittleToe 90 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

DDog:As I wrote to Derek:

We extrapolate our beliefs from our interpretation of the evidence presented to us.

And as I suggested to Skyking:

I would suggest that "faith" is proof, a la Hebrews 11.

In the case of the Christian framework of belief "faith" is evidence in and of itself. And yet faith needs at least some knowledge as a foundation as a catalyst and in order to interpret it. In our case the starting point is the colluding experience of others, as found in the Bible (especially the Gospels).

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

LT

We extrapolate our beliefs from our interpretation of the evidence presented to us.

Kinda throws this passage in the toilet, don't ya think?

Romans 1:19

For this reason, the [thing] known of God is revealed among [or, within] them, for God revealed [it] to them. 20 For from [the] creation of [the] world His invisible [attributes] are plainly seen, being understood by the [things] made, both His eternal power and divinity, so that they are without excuse. 21 For this reason, having known God, they did not glorify [Him] as God nor did they give thanks, _but_ they were given over to deception in their thought processes[or, they became futile in their speculations], and their foolish heart [fig., inner self, and throughout book] was darkened.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

How so?

Derek sees the wonders of nature, just as we do, but interprets the evidence differently.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Another interesting topic LT.

From the posts already, uh, posted, I can see that we all pretty much agree on the terms and definitions being laid out. Belief, and also faith, play a part in our human existence, and most likely of our development not only in our civilizations but also our species. Maybe it's part of our ability to make assumed decisions, be it choosing the correct direction to locate water or whether to trust a neighboring village.

Your comments about prayer though may need to be thrashed out a bit. I would offer the suggestion that the feeling of comfort from conversing your worries to God is more in line with comforting the inner child's worry. Asking one's heavenly Father to recognise and sooth ones bruised knee, and stop the tears.

There is no doubt from me that this works for a large percentage of believers. But, then, so do placebo anesthetics. The body and mind are incredible things. Which makes sense considering what they went through to get us us here.

I spent some time in Thailand with a swami. He explained that the closest a human can get to bliss is in the deepest of sleep. At this point we are the closest to God. SO, it's interesting that you mention sleep.

I'm not sure if I agree with you regarding our atrophying of the search of the 'inner' world. If you are talking about people in general then I would say that that search is at the highest it's ever been. From yoga to chiropractic, Kabbalah to vegan, meditation to art, people are investigating rather than quoting the 'religion' on their birth certificate. - Then again, I may have misunderstood you comment.

steve

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

LT I don't know derek or his situation. Could anger, pain, sin or something else cause derek to suppress the truth about God? People exchange the truth (not just about God) for all kinds of things. When you say "Belief has to rest on knowledge" it sounds so JW like. You know, the way they butcher John 17:3.

John 17:3

This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.

derek says it well.

This is a huge part of my issue with belief. You can show me all the data you want proving the benefits of belief, I can agree that you are right and that the healthiest thing for me to do would be to start believing in God. But I can't. I just can't do it.

I hear people say the same thing about quitting smoking. Why do they keep smoking? I'm not just picking on smokers here, we all (including myself) have hang-ups and addictions.

So, could people exchange God's truth for a lie? (Romans 1:25) Or do they just need to take in more knowledge?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, our interpretation of the evidence is based on the presupposition we hold to. derek interprets the evidence differently, because he has a different presupposition than I.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    the closest a human can get to bliss is in the deepest of sleep

I came close to this idea too. Makes insomnia a living hell if you think of it (cf. Cioran).

Somehow it reminds me of a saying my father used to quote (he said it was an Arabian proverb, but he was fond of misquotations and fake etymologies so I'm not sure about that): "One is better sitting than standing, lying than sitting and dead than lying."

DD,

Ah the old rhetorical trick of switching tables, reversing the burden of proof, turning apology into prosecution...

A temptation faith cannot give in except by forsaking itself and becoming (circular) knowledge.

Plus, "knowledge" can cover a number of meanings... I suspect Paul is to be found somewhere along the lines of thought which run from Plato to Gnosticism or Neo-Platonism, rather than those which run from Aristotle to Thomas Aquinas down to Neo-Calvinism (for instance). Smuggling him from the mystical to the rationalistic (although potentially gullible) side is not quite fair I'm afraid.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Steve:

I can see that we all pretty much agree on the terms and definitions being laid out.

Makes a change, huh?

Your comments about prayer though may need to be thrashed out a bit.

Sure, I'm game, and no doubt others are as well.

Prayer is at least self-affirmation and/or a placebo; at best, communication with the Divine. To that end surely even the materialist can see some benefit in it, even if it isn't their tool of choice?

I spent some time in Thailand with a swami. He explained that the closest a human can get to bliss is in the deepest of sleep. At this point we are the closest to God. SO, it's interesting that you mention sleep.

That's interesting and I guess I would agree. However we are also material beings, spending most of our time in a mode that promotes conscious thought (wake state). It is my belief that the hypnagogic state is the bridge between each. WIth practice, a level of control can be exercised that brings these together with potentially remarkable results.

I'm not sure if I agree with you regarding our atrophying of the search of the 'inner' world.

While the search is on it is most often with the view to being taught and learning parlour tricks, rather than standing on the shoulders of others. IMHO this dilutes rather than concentrates. When the arcane becomes orthodox, "who will guard the guards"?

DDog:

Could anger, pain, sin or something else cause derek to suppress the truth about God?

Anything is possible, but your question presumes suppression, conscious or unconscious. I think that's a specious starting point, unless you are going to take the tack that we were all once connected to the Divine and individually departed and suppressed the memory.

Is knowledge (including relationship, not just intellectual awareness) inate or by revelation?

When you say "Belief has to rest on knowledge" it sounds so JW like.

Only if you read it that way. To know someone in a relational sense don't we at least need to know in an intellectual sense that they at least exist? Otherwise, how do you interpret Rom.10:17 "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."? Hence I would posit that there is at least a minimal amount of knowledge needed to form a catalyst, even if that knowledge is merely (?) the direct experience of meeting an individual whom we previously were oblivious to.

I hear people say the same thing about quitting smoking.

I think that's an awful analogy. Unbelief isn't an addiction, it's a state.

So, could people exchange God's truth for a lie?

Sure they can, but that assumes they have "God's truth" in the first place. Otherwise how can they exchange it? If you are looking at this from a Christian viewpoint, as I suspect you are, how many on this site do you believe were raised with "God's truth", as opposed to "The Truthâ„¢"

To paraphrase Pilate, in your opinion, "what is [God's] truth?"

Didier:

"One is better sitting than standing, lying than sitting and dead than lying."

That's a good one, though I'm afraid my Viking heritage causes me to reject it outright

Ah the old rhetorical trick of switching tables, reversing the burden of proof, turning apology into prosecution...

I think he's been hanging around me too much - LOL

A temptation faith cannot give in except by forsaking itself and becoming (circular) knowledge.

I like the sound of that, but I've not come across the phrase "temptation faith". Would you mind elaborating, please?

Smuggling him [Paul] from the mystical to the rationalistic (although potentially gullible) side is not quite fair I'm afraid.

Hehehe. So do you see a potential for Paul to be talking about gnosis enlightenment leading to faith? Intangible yet confirmatory?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I like the sound of that, but I've not come across the phrase "temptation faith". Would you mind elaborating, please?

Lol, I now realise my syntax was wrong. I meant: This (switching tables etc.) is a temptation which faith cannot give in to (or indulge in?) except by forsaking itself... but the resulting misunderstanding might be interesting too

(Cf. Kierkegaard's remark about the Judas kiss of stupidity, http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/82598/1.ashx).

Smuggling him [Paul] from the mystical to the rationalistic (although potentially gullible) side is not quite fair I'm afraid.

Hehehe. So do you see a potential for Paul to be talking about gnosis enlightenment leading to faith? Intangible yet confirmatory?

Not in the full-fledged Gnostic sense, where knowledge (in a more-than-intellectual, but also more-than-personal sense) is the final goal (cf. already its equation with eternal life in John, 17:3 etc.) -- faith being an inferior aeon and a possible stepping stone tognosis, not the other way around.

But I do believe that the Platonic (and perhaps Socratic) central intuition of knowledge as recollection (cf. the frequent etymological play on a-letheia, "truth," as "non-forgetfulness") had permeated most of Hellenistic thinking and must have been present in the popular philosophy which was part of Paul's background (and also shows traces of Stoicism). From this perspective it was very common to construe ignorance as second rather than first (as we tend to do), hence the result of the suppression (or forgetfulness, either active or passive) of an original or fundamental knowledge/truth.

• daystar
    daystar

This is all very good to see discussed here.

At this point, I'm not to enjoin completely, but I wanted to quote a very close magician friend of mine. (Magician, as in, actually practices ceremonial, ritualistic magick, not illusion or sleight of hand.)

I once asked him if spirits exist, if gods exist, if any entities beyond those that we can see and feel, exist. His response was that it didn't matter. Because it is "as if" they existed.

This always stuck with me because he understood that there is no objective proof to be had. His point was for me to discover the power of the unconscious and its archetypes myself.

And I did prove it to myself. Whether I believe in these supernatural entities or not made no difference in my experience. Appeals to them, if performed properly, in alignment with their archetypal form within our unconscious, proper type and amount of force, proper direction, with good understanding of the medium and the subject, will produce results. Hell, even without all of that, there is likely to be some result. It just might not be what was intended.

Through a daily ritual practice, with daily adorations to the "Lord of the Universe" over a period of a few months, my life was changed. It was a very difficult transition. It was a trial by fire. But I am a much, much better person for it.

And, in all ways, I may as well be an atheist. I do not believe in some objective being or beings "out there"... even though the cleansing process I went through was successful, my "prayers" were answered.

• myelaine
    myelaine

you guys are so bright...I enjoy listening to you...

love michelle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit