This is so huge.

by La Capra 44 Replies latest jw friends

• La Capra
    La Capra

When I was four, I believed that my life could be painfully and tortuously taken from me, in a ball of flame, crashing down from the heavens, just while I sitting down to a bowl of oatmeal in the morning.

When I was nine, I believed that my life, as I then knew it, would be drastically altered, that I would be tortured for being a JW, and after suffering for who knows how long, I would die (because I still hadn't lived up to Jehovah's expectations).

When I was 13, I wanted to be a nuclear physicist-because it sounded cool, but in the meantime I believed that I would die in armageddon because I wanted to go to college, get really educated, and have a great, "worldly" life.

When I was 15, I felt guilty that I hoped armageddon would never come, because I so desperately wanted to go to college.

When I was 17, I was offered an honors early admissions in a prestigious program in a highly regarded engineering program. My mother flat out said, "NO!"

When I was 18, I scuttled semi-secretly to the local university, part-time, trying to hide my daily activities without actually lying to anyone.

When I was 19 I quit pretending and disassociated. (Thanks to my dad for sticking by me on that one.)

When I was 23 I became a high school math teacher. (Has paid the bills for 16 years, now!)

When I was 25 I bought a house. (If you could call it that)

When I was 30, I bought a second house. (This one really was a house-I still have both, though).

When I was 34, I decided to go to law school.

When I was 38, on November 17, 2006, at 18:25 PST, I learned that I PASSED THE CALIFORNIA BAR EXAM (and on the first try too!).

So,

That's La Capra, Esq. now.

I think I'll go save the world-move over Jesus, the Goat has arrived....

Shoshana (whose champagne buzz has finally worn down to a dull thump).

• stealyourface
    stealyourface

Congratulations!!!!!

• blondie
    blondie

Congratulations!!!!

What are your plans? Do you have a firm in mind?

I work with tons of lawyers and the opportunities are limitless depending on your area.

Blondie

• gordon d
    gordon d

Congratulations Counselor!

Factum est,Gaudeamus igitur...sumere potum alterum!

Will you be doing any pro bono work for other ex-dubs?

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

wooHOOOooooo!!!

*sigh* I love a happy ending!

Baba.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

That's fantastic ! Another success story . . .outside the borg. Wish you all the best.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

A well planned life and well lived one is the best revenge, good on ya!

• Quentin
    Quentin

Hehehe...what's the best way to get a lawyer out of a tree? Cut the rope...

Congrats my friend. Glad you made into the real world, where you can help yourself and others as well. To your success.....

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

You are my hero of the week. Congratulations-awesome job. Awesome that you passed the bar on the first try! Awesome that you have taught! Good math teachers are a great thing, I am sure you can do the same for your new career. What kind of law are you interested in? I'm jealous-I studied to be a paralegal (eventual goal to be atty.) and finished just short of my degree. I know you are in a difficult and competitive field. I hope you make it all that you dream of and don't let the hard stuff get you down. If you can teach kids, you are capable of anything!

• Been there
    Been there

Wow, Shoshana......What an accomplishment. I hope you can enjoy a little down time after all that hard, hard work.

I'm proud of you. What are your plans now? Do you still teach? Best wishes for a great new career.

P.S. - I guess that means you're buying a new house?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit