Coming to terms with.....

by PaulJ 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Ellie
    Ellie

You're almost 30 and your still awake at 9.30, wow, not doing too bad for an old git

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    You're almost 30 and your still awake at 9.30, wow, not doing too bad for an old git

Dont you worry, you will be here soon Ellie...and revenge will be sweet DB74 (Gary)

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Its now nearly 1am..... I'm doing great.... no cocoa for me yet!!!

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

"back when I was a JW I wished I could have been a footballer"

We have something in common here Paul and I have a good idea about how you feel about getting older.

As a 17 year old I had a grand opportunity to have a trial with Arsenal, (In the early '80's when there were scouts roaming around NZ). Three weeks before I was due to fly out I tore ligaments off my right ankle and that was it! In a state of hobbling and depression I got sucked into my mothers religion,(JW), gave up the hope of ever playing again and tried hard to be a good dub.

At 35 I stopped sulking and started playing competitively again and my weak ankle felt o.k. Now at nearly 44 I'm still playing and have made the Golden Oldies rep team for a third year.

You can still be a class player over here at 30 so come visit maybe!!

Cheers pete

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Yeah my thirtieth was a bad day. For a few years I've arranged a little birthday present to myself, even when I was a witness and nobody knew about it. It was usually a ski trip, and on my thirtieth I was with some mates in a house in the snow.... the day before I had this feeling that there was this freight train approaching, I was in a tunnel and couldn't stop it and couldn't escape from it. I was a mess at midnight. But the sun came up the next day and I got free drinks from everybody and a lot of attention from the lifties. And my thirties have been the best part of my life!

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass
    Welcome to your third decade.

Oh this will make you feel better: it's actually your fourth decade...

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Bigmouth... I had a perhaps lesser opportunity at the time with Peterborough United, the local team to where i lived. I had to make a "choice" and I got baptised, along with plenty of back slapping for making the "right" one.

If I could go back to any point in my life it would have been that one and gone for the football. Oh well. I play for a local team now anyway so its not too bad....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit