OK, This is what I have to say

by peacepipe 81 Replies latest jw friends

• Unclepenn1
    Unclepenn1

::Wrong. An argument has to have assertions and a conclusion. I made no conclusion. Instead, I said:

: I have no conclusions to offer, because it may not even be possible to make an informed conclusion based upon the evidence available.

Fair enough! Hey, I noticed from another post that you live in San Diego. Me too. Where are you at?!

Penn

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Albert Einstein on ethics:

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."

Pretty much sums up my view too. Whether or not there is a god has no bearing on what is right or wrong.

--
    Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit attrocities - Voltaire

• Tina
    Tina

(((((peace)))))))))))
    Hey! lol I had hit a posting limit. I do appreciate that you took the time for this! I also apologize if I misunderstood. Seems like I did in a way. No biggie. I'm glad you're here posting and sharing your thoughts. I also appreciate new and different viewpoints,even if I dont agree lol. Fact is basically I do share a lot of your thoughts! keep em comin!!! The fact we can do so freely is really special. But that's what makes this board so great eh?
    Wishing you peace and love,Tina

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• dubla
    dubla

:)

• Unclepenn1
    Unclepenn1

Derek said --Pretty much sums up my view too. Whether or not there is a god has no bearing on what is right or wrong.

Hmm, how do we know what's right and wrong? Was the world Trade Center tragedy somethig that was wrong? If so, why?

Penn

Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father but by Me."

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Unclepenn1 asked:

Hmm, how do we know what's right and wrong? Was the world Trade Center tragedy somethig that was wrong? If so, why

It was wrong because it violated people's rights. Whether it violated any commands in a "holy" book, or whether it was a result of obeying such commands, is irrelevant. It was inherently wrong, regardless of what your gods may think.

--
    Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit attrocities - Voltaire

• Unclepenn1
    Unclepenn1

Derek Said - It was inherently wrong, regardless of what your gods may think

Hmm, Derek I am not trying to be argumentative but......says who?!

Is right and wrong just part of an evolutionary process? Does a lion wonder if it is wrong to pounce on a gazelle? Do we have a sense of justice that we are born with? And if that is the case then there are moral laws, hence a moral law giver (I know Farkel, slippery slope, but I'm doing it anyway!)

Penn

• Budda Belly
    Budda Belly

I agree with Derek.

At one time, I beleived the Cananites were worthy of death
    just because "Jehovah" said so.

Same thing today, will we all suffer eternal torment in hell
    or death after the rapture just because "Jesus" said so.

Gods are not the best source for HUMAN RIGHTS.

• Julie
    Julie

Unclepenn said:

:Is right and wrong just part of an evolutionary process?

The topic of morality; where does it originate?

My view is that it comes with enlightenment. When people understand things that benefit the Greater Good benefit the individual they will work toward it.

One example: Killing. Early on, when humans were fewer in number, obviously a main goal was to propagate the species. As intelligence increased it no doubt occured to them that killing each other was counter-productive in achieving this goal. Killing is detrimental to the greater good hence killing is bad.

Enlightenment is the key.

Julie

• Unclepenn1
    Unclepenn1

Julie, would you say that people are moving further from enlightenment in view of the continual moral decline we see in society?

Buddha said- Same thing today, will we all suffer eternal torment in hell or death after the rapture just because "Jesus" said so.

People go to hell because of their behavior, not because Jesus said so. Jesus came to save- John 3:17

Penn

Mohammed- 'My teachings lead to the attainment of truth'
    Buddha- 'The truth has been revealed to me'
    Jesus- 'I am the truth'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit