OK, This is what I have to say

by peacepipe 81 Replies latest jw friends

• peacepipe
    peacepipe
    I need to put my two cents in about this even though I'm reading it a couple days after the last post.
    When I think of the death of those I care about I usually have no problem picturing them going to heaven forever: some people just to me seem like there is nowhere else they could be.
    Those who I've been close to that have died that I'm questionable about them actually going to heaven I feel like in some way as long as there are those of us here to remember them they are still kept alive somehow.

When I REALLY think about my own death I have a panic attack. I don't think I'm anything special that deserves to live past this life. I don't think I'd have any great contributions to make in any everlasting life. However, the feeling I get in my very being when I come to the realization that theres nothing else to think about once your dead because your dead forever and ever and ever and ever and ever to all eternity is nothing short of a panic attack. It's just the thought of there being nothing else, not a thought, nothing for ETERNITY scares the living crap out of me. ETERNITY is a long time. What would I do for eternity? Well nothing, I'll be dead. Well, maybe there'll be something else down the road. . . .No, there's not I'll be dead. Well, what will I do all that time?. . Nothing, I'll be dead.

Up to a certain time in my life I felt when you died there was still something else. When your young you don't quite fathom eternal nothingness because of music, shows, books and an ongoing imagination. I used to think about suicide and being in my casket and listening to my music and keeping tabs on those I love- not so bad. But at some point, if you really think hard about it, that realization that there'll be no music hits you hard. (well for some of us I suppose- not everyone)

I know that some hospice workers who work with terminally ill patients use visualization methods to help the patient cope with their death. It puts them in a safe place of comfort, love and peace. I often thought that is the sole purpose of religion. To get your mind to skip over this horrid realization so you can live your life to the fullest without having to be troubled with that black cloud. Because I asked the question in another post what the world would be like if all people were atheists and there were no religions. What would be the moral thread to keep goodness in society? Why would some people care if all they did was get high, drunk, sleep with whoever the want, kill others etc. If you could get away with it then so what? You live, you die. Get what you can because it's all you'll ever have.

I'm tired, this is a stupid reply but maybe someone will reply back that just might give me . . .something. . .I don't know what. Sometimes when your mind tells you something you have to weed through all the thoughts that come in to find just one bud that may blossom into something useful.

PeacePipe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May I ask why you think atheists are not moral people? That they don't care about their world and the people in it? A world of humanists would probably be a whole lot better and tolerant. It isn't atheists and humanists that have caused the atrocities down thru history. It's been religionists who are convinced that there way is the only right way. Look at all the holy wars,the crusades,the exploitation and conversion of indigenous peoples. The destruction of their cultures.Look at Afhgan and other countries today.
    Humanists/atheists attempt to help all regardless of any religious affiliations. They believe that with reason,logic and compassion we can all work together to make this world a better place. I have to say,in my life,that the most caring,compassionate,reasonable people are these. Their love for humanity isn't limited by relgious tnetes and policies. I don't know who you know personally,but the humanists I know have the highest regard for life,and do not live the hedonistic life that you attribute to them. I think your view or definition of atheism comes from the religious folk. If time allows check out a secular humanism website. read their charters and hopes for humankind. You will be greatly surprised. Tina
    Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."
    Tina

Tina,
    Thank you for your thoughts however:

May I ask why you think atheists are not moral people?

I asked the question in another post what the world would be like if all people were atheists and there were no religions. What would be the moral thread to keep goodness in society? Why would some people care if all they did was get high, drunk, sleep with whoever the want, kill others etc. If you could get away with it then so what? You live, you die. Get what you can because it's all you'll ever have.

NOWHERE DID I SAY THAT I DID NOT THINK ATHEISTS ARE MORAL PEOPLE. I asked the question what would be the moral thread to keep goodness in society if there was no religion.
    *I think of the terrorist children who in recent years have killed themselves and their schoolmates because they had NO HOPE!. They did not FEAR DEATH. They would rather have a moment of FAME and be DEAD than live their life for their life had NO PURPOSE to them.
    *I think of the teenagers across America who I was one of at a time who go out and PARTY till they are so drunk or high that they can’t see and then get in a car and kill themselves or their friends or strangers or drink themselves to death!
    *I think of the freaking people who have kids and dump them off on whoever they can so they can go self indulge themselves forgetting to go to their childrens milestones or important events or give them love and support. Instead they’d rather be out partying or looking for love.
    *I think of the sad people in the world who have been hurt so bad they may never be able to shake it.
    *I think of a 10 year old telling me he wishes he were DEAD.
    Tina, these people are anybody. Christians, JW’s, humanists, atheists, anyone.
    It isn't atheists and humanists that have caused the atrocities down thru history. . . . . . . Humanists/atheists attempt to help all regardless of any religious affiliations. They believe that with reason,logic and compassion we can all work together to make this world a better place.

Yes Tina that may be true of SOME atheists/humanists but it is also true of most religious groups as well including many JW's. I’d say you could find a lot of instances in history of mass murder, murder, terrorists, wars etc that were not driven by the RELIGIOUS FANATICS the same as you can find many that were driven by RELIGIOUS FANATICS.

If we had a world of no religion, Everyone was an atheist, Religion was long gone. . . Well guess what, it would be human nature to start divisions. There would be the Moral Atheists who were for peace, love and harmony. There would be the Immoral Atheists who would start their own crime rings and terrorist groups because they wanted to rule the world. There would be the Inbetween Atheists who would consist of hundreds of groups of varying degrees. The Moral Atheists would then have to start teaching their beliefs on the Immoral and Inbetween atheists and thus a religion would be one day be born.

I, like you, wish the world could be peaceful and kind and that John Lennon’s “Imagine” could be a reality but I don’t believe that will ever happen. There are always going to be good people, bad people and a little bit of both people. I know most people on this thread have been hurt by JW’s but here is a reality check: There are a lot of people who have been hurt just as bad or worse by Christians, Catholics, Protestants, Atheists etc. NOT ALL of any of those groups are bad. The majority are good, moral people who use their religion as a means of coping with day to day life, death and injustices. The smaller percentage hides behind it to create havoc and advance their own pleasures. I include Atheism in that thought because it is a religion. It has a belief system. It just hasn’t evolved yet into the many outlets that Christianity has YET.

And I would like it to be known that I am Nothing yet I am Everything. I am Looking but I have not Found. I pull the good from the bad and sort through it. I was not brought up with only one faith but many. I do not make my comments about “hedonists” based on the religious folk. I base my comments on my own morals, what I think is right and wrong and the trials and tribulations I have faced. I have many friends with many different beliefs. My friends are good but not perfect. I do not judge them based on “Christian or Religious” dogmas because it is not my place to judge. Some christians make me want to puke. Some people on this board make me want to puke. A lot of times I make myself want to puke. But you gotta take the good with the bad that’s just the way it is and will always be.

Peace be with you All. . . . .

PeacePipe

Lift me up, I've had enough. . .Tom Petty
  • Julie
    Julie

Hi Peacepipe-

I have to respectfully disagree with you on the "what would happen if there were no more religion" theory. I study history very seriously and can tell you that in the last thousand years there has been no divider as powerful as religion.

As to terrorism, I think your view is also much mistaken there. Think for a moment about the recent terrorist attacks on America. These guys were fed a twisted version of Islam and very likely believed that their heinous actions would be "rewarded" by Allah upon their deaths. Anyone who thinks this life is all you get, and they are relatively healthy in the mind, would never end their own lives on purpose.

You asked:
    What would be the moral thread to keep goodness in society?

How about the concept "for the greater good"? Not doing good things for others in order to obtain entry to heaven but because this is all we have and it's up to us to make it as nice or horrible as we want. I am not a believer in biblegod or immortality. My children are raised in a non-violent, loving home and get a constant example of charity work. They know I help out at the pantry because "people are hungry" not because God wills it. I don't sit around and pray for a cure for cancer but I dedicate plenty of effort to an organization trying to find a cure. My kids are learning to be very moral people and no religion is needed to do it.

A believer seeing miserable, starving people in far-away lands (or their own backyard) may take "comfort" that at least in the next life these poor souls may get into heaven. A non-believer seeing such is going to see someone who's only shot at life is miserable.

I think being a non-believer makes one realize the actual reponsibility we all have to each other, takes away those easy cop-outs "it is God's will" or "God will make it all right in the end". We should all be grateful for those who don't wait around for God to right the wrongs in our world.

Just my two cents--
    Julie

• Farkel
    Farkel

Julie,

: You asked:
    : What would be the moral thread to keep goodness in society?

Obviously, Peacepipe has never heard of or studied secular humanism.

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

To Julie,

I agree wholeheartedly with your reply. I don't think that religion is necessary for morality anymore - however in thinking on this subject after reading peacepipe's post, I have to wonder if morality would have evolved if religion had not.

If man had not ever invented God, would society have evolved its' own morality or would the golden rule be survival of the fittest? With no 'reward' awaiting primitive people after death, would they have been able to achieve anything other than an existence based purely on their own survival, and the survival of those who could help them or better their chances of that survival?

Of course I agree that now we have evolved morality based on the greater good which does not require a God or a heavenly reward, and many of those who live their lives with their 'eye on the prize' as it were, seem to do good only as a means to their own eternal survival, and not necessarily because they want to do good, but rather because they have a fear of the consequences of doing bad.

In essence, I'm wondering if morality may have been born of religion, though it certinly does not require it to survive. And in answer to a question posed by peacepipe, if religion disappeared, yes, morality would continue. If religion had never existed, would morality exist? I don't know.

Just my rather confused thoughts,

Silverleaf

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy y'al,

Good points on both sides, imho. Being an agnostic, at this point in time, guess that's a proper stance, eh?

If we had a world of no religion, Everyone was an atheist, Religion was long gone. . . Well guess what, it would be human nature to start divisions. There would be the Moral Atheists who were for peace, love and harmony. There would be the Immoral Atheists who would start their own crime rings and terrorist groups because they wanted to rule the world. There would be the Inbetween Atheists who would consist of hundreds of groups of varying degrees. The Moral Atheists would then have to start teaching their beliefs on the Immoral and Inbetween atheists and thus a religion would be one day be born. - PeacePipe

I think that's an outstanding point - "it would be human nature to start divisions." We tend to stay within groups of people who think/act like we do, or we want to act. As a general rule, college professors don't hang out with hs dropouts working at minimum wage, or in the unemployment/homeless shelters. They can - as the multi-billionaires could hangout with McDonald's floor sweepers - but we tend to stay within our social group, whether this includes religion or not. Check out any KH clicks.

I would assume that atheists tend to agree & even socialize with other minds, like their own. So do Christians, Muslims, etc., etc. Ever try to socialize a lot with someone who doesn't like to read anything.....but you do? Add to the not reading, they like to drink/take drugs.....and you don't? They're nationalistic....and you're not? Put an avowed, open, wife beater in with an outspoken person against violence.....see what happens.

Set aside religion......we still have dramatic personality/monetary/business/political differences - we should. I believe relgion makes those differences even more dramatic, and is a great divider. But so are the other dividers.

Not all religionists are bad - nor are all atheists humanistic. We are individuals being defined by the group we are in.

Maybe this isn't a black/white issue as is being presented - but an issue of varying degrees? As is life.

check out a secular humanism website. read their charters and hopes for humankind. You will be greatly surprised. - tina

Personally, I don't believe a group's charters, hopes, mission statements. Seems everybody has one nowadays. I think it's primarily advertising for them - and the hope that their own employees will reach out for their appointed vision. They might....but it's just a hope.

Bet the WTBTS has a nicely printed "mission statement" also. One for the United Nations, and one for their followers.

Interesting discussion, however. Thanks.

waiting

• LDH
    LDH

Peacepipe, I too have to disagree with your statement regarding religion/moral compass.

Here is a wonderful website dedicated to the concept of 'Secular Humanism"... Please DO take the time to research their tenets and principles.

And tell me, once you have done that, what makes a religion superior to their concepts.

Please also tell me, if every human lived by their tenets, where would moral degradation come into play?

Happy reading.

* http://www.secularhumanism.org

Lisa

• Tina
    Tina

Hello waiting,
    I just want to clarify something here. I too,would be skeptical of charters and such. But if you really understood what sec/hum is all about you would know that it's charters,etc. are not written in stone like religious org such as the WTS. There is NO comparison/
    SecHum is simply a general overview of purpose. If one has a different idea of positive help or ideology,it's quite Ok. What secular humanists do appreciate are differences and diversity of thought. It's all about freethought. It's all about enlightenment,using reason,not supernatural myths to better our world. However we choose to do it. Relgious chraters are written in stone. They don't allow for new or different viewpoints. They don't allow for diverse methods in the service of humankind. It's always 'theri way or the highway'. That is the difference. regards,T

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• Tina
    Tina

peacepip,
    The way your post was written it most certainly sounds like you are refering to atheists/humanists.
    You posit what if atheists ran the world,then proceed to describe a hedonistic anarchic behaviors. You never qualified that refered to anyone else. I can pull up your post here and anyone reading it will see the same as I did.
    The other issues I'll get to later although Julie pretty well addressesed them already. Tina

• Julie
    Julie

Hi Silverleaf:

You wrote:

In essence, I'm wondering if morality may have been born of religion, though it certinly does not require it to survive. And in answer to a question posed by peacepipe, if religion disappeared, yes, morality would continue. If religion had never existed, would morality exist? I don't know.

Of course we can only speculate but looking at some of the horrible acts religion has inspired it is hard for me to believe we couldn't have known morality without it. I think morality comes with enlightenment. Look at how religion has squelched enlightenment over the centuries. Mankind has progressed in spite of religion, not because of it. There is little reason to think otherwise of morality.

I'd rather someone did the "right thing" because of their own conviction instead of their fear of biblegod, people are more likely to be passionate about something they *want* to do.

If the guys who wrote the bible had included some actual enlightenment (instead of useless details, gory battles and absurd laws) I wonder how advanced we would be today?

One could speculate on it the rest of their lives I guess. Fun question though.

Take care--
    Julie

• Unclepenn1
    Unclepenn1

Quote-It isn't atheists and humanists that have caused the atrocities down thru history.

Hmm, why don't you go pick up a Guiness Book of World Records and look up mass murder.

Lenin, Stalin and Mao Tse Tung have killed 100 million + people, all with the belief that there is no God! Talk about an unholy Trinity.

Penn

Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father but by Me."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit