I can't understand why the Witnesses think that the entire World is evil

by JH 27 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Maybe it's because they're taught to hate so much!

Or it could be that if they were to see otherwise, they'd have to acknowledge that the place to learn how to practice evil might well be their local KH?

• My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW
    My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW
    But the JW's are like colorbind people, they don't see the difference between worldly good and world bad.

Just to add to what you said......I think JW's live their life in black and white, while the world around them lives in color.....bright, beautiful, vivid, color.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    Just to add to what you said......I think JW's live their life in black and white, while the world around them lives in color.....bright, beautiful, vivid, color.

Beautifully stated.

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

You must convince yourself the world is evil if you are to have any hope of justifying:

• the destruction of innocent children and animals in the environmental ravages of a world-wide flood
    • instructions from "God" to kill men, women, seniors, and babies so as to wipe out entire cities and take them over as your "promised land"
    • the deaths of billions at the "end of this system of things"

I know I had to.

There's no other way to love, obey, and praise a "God" who could do these things unless you convince yourself it's right and necessary. There's no other way to accept the Bible as the literal, perfect, complete, infallible "Word of God" unless you can rationalize these things. Hence, the world is a hopelessly evil, corrupt, and damaged place which must be destroyed and rebuilt from scratch - with the help of a few select "chosen" who also think it's a great idea, of course.

It just so happens that this attitude is quite convenient for the "upper management" of the Org in keeping the R & F in line.

• wvpeach
    wvpeach

The closer you become to God , the more sin you see in the world.

But you also see the beauty of his creation in new and wonderful ways.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

It's easier to control you if you think the Debbil is going to jump out of your neighbor's new-born child and get ya.

Stay in the group like nice sheeple so we can control every aspect of your life.

Don't read, don't use the internet, don't talk to anyone who is not a Dub, and by all means spend at least 15 hours a week in meetings or preparing for them.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

It's easier to control you if you think the Debbil is going to jump out of your neighbor's new-born child and get ya.

Stay in the group like nice sheeple so we can control every aspect of your life.

Don't read, don't use the internet, don't talk to anyone who is not a Dub, and by all means spend at least 15 hours a week in meetings or preparing for them.

You forgot about the most important one: Don't forget to talk down to those who don't agree with everything you say.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Witnesses may preach and know their bible better than the average person. But I prefer people who don't know their bible as well, but have a heart and donate to the poor or help the sick and have compassion. JH

True, JW's know their Bible better than the average person.

That in itself causes them serious problems:

John 5:38-40 You don’t have His word living in you, because you don’t believe the One He sent. You pore overthe Scriptures because you think you have eternal life in them, yet they testify about Me. And you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

• mama bear
    mama bear

True, JW's know their Bible better than the average person.

That in itself causes them serious problems:

John 5:38-40 You don’t have His word living in you, because you don’t believe the One He sent. You pore overthe Scriptures because you think you have eternal life in them, yet they testify about Me. And you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

Thank you Honesty for this! As I read the thought that the 'JW's know their Bible better than the average person' my thought was 'underscore 'their Bible'' and quoting from rote with misapplication and misinterpretation is not the same as proper exegesis. Someone somewhere did a count of the verses the JW is intimately familiar with and it was pretty interesting. It is somewhat like a vocabulary...we all have one but some of us have a more restricted one than others and can converse with ease usually with ones who do not have larger vocabs. We may recognize words, maybe even know their definition but do not use them often. The rote verses the JW's use do not compare with some of the vastly researched folk who are not Witnesses. In fact, I was humbled when I started attending church here to find out how much I honestly DID NOT KNOW about the Bible because it was not relative to the JW belief system! Believe me, my hand was up often during WT study and Book study. I wasn't uncomfortable answering questions...but then again, there in lies the problem...it was a WT and Book study not a BIBLE study,

Anyway, the evil most religions create as a means to keep their membership in line is actually a fascinating study.

I am so evil these days I enjoy voting, hanging out our flag, discussing politics and religion, celebrating [not observing] holidays, freedom of speech and thought, full association with any person I desire regardless of their personal, religious, moral beliefs, of learning about things from intelligent sources, tattoos, watching people really enjoy life, attending funerals and weddings in churches, going to church [I'm a holiday Christian] saying God Bless YOU and meaning it, learning about other philosophies and teachings, not caring who sees me going to an R rated movie..actually, not even looking at ratings anymore, oh and yes, the most evil of all, talking about my former beliefs while wearing the Big RED A with unabashed pride!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Witnesses may preach and know their bible better than the average person.

Whoa, steady on, JH! Who says the dubs know their Bibles better? Well, isn't it the WT itself that makes that claim?

From what I've seen over many years now, I really doubt their claim. In our own case, Mrs Ozzie and I have been amazed at how much we didn't lknow about the Bible and also how much folks we've met regularly at church know. Frankly, it'd put the dubs we used to know pale in comparison.

Frankly I think the statement above is just another of those Watchtower urban myths.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit