Elders Closing In....an update

by diamondblue1974 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• Confession
    Confession

Appreciate the post, DB. I've had one such conversation with my mother. The indoctrination is thick.

• SB
    SB

sounds like you're a logical thinker, i appreciated the recap of your conversation. i hope your mother will take your words seriously. leaving a comfort zone, especially at an older age i imagine, would be difficult. it's not like she would have an easy time starting her life over. but it sounds like you were very gentle in dealing w/someone so psychologically damaged, as most of us are/were. i hope she thinks over what you said and admits some doubt that must be there. (how could it not?).

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

If it is a fade that you desire, you are better off just not keeping contact with those from the KH. The Elders will leave you alone unless they feel you are going to talk to others about your beliefs.

For the most part the kind of conversation you had is very typical. I would say that it is just best not to get into those at all. Most JWs will walk away frustrated and many times more committed to their beliefs.

The only way I feel a discussion with a JW will lead to progress is when you have a photocopy of every place the Watchtower has contradicted itself. Showing them the proof that their organization lies can be a very powerful tool. It keeps you in total control. But that is only if you really have a desire to help the person out of the WTS. I think these middle of the ground talks sometimes hurt more than help, but thats just my opinion.

• moshe
    moshe

I was raised on a farm and it is common knowledge that if your barn catches on fire you must not only get your horse out, but restrain him once he is out. They will run right back into a burning barn as they equate the barn as a place of safety/refuge. I feel that JW's have the same mentality when they have it shown to them that the WT Society is a false prophet, joined the UN, hides pedophiles, etc. and is not God's one true organization on earth. Rather than leave when they have this proven to them with their own literature, they go right back to the KH and become even more entrenched in the WT mindset. Let'em burn, it's their choice.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Hi. I'm amazed that every time I read a post about contact with JW parents, it's like a conversation with my own, that's how similar they all are (*shudder*)

I was d'fd and my sibling all shun me, but my parents are still wavering. We've reached a detente it seems. Apparently they're okay with me maintaining contact as long as I don't talk about JWs. They do though, and if I take the bait it sets us back months. They've said some horrible things, and I don't call them because I don't want to hear it. We just email these days, every week I try to think of something upbeat to talk about.

Sometimes I feel very similar to Moshe; let them burn, if they're dumb enough to keep running into the burning barn, and they'll just take me with them if I keep chasing them. It's a different story with parents though. I know you love your mum.

You guys are doing really well to have dodged the elders, good luck with that! I hope they don't get your address from other sources. I've got a girlfriend who is waiting for the axe to fall. I think the people who get away with a successful 'fade' just have complacent family and friends, but the rest of us have to deal with the psycho true believers.

Try to take every opportunity you can to tell your mum you love her. Make sure she understands that it will hurt her a lot if they take you away from her. She's under this delusion that the elders can talk you out of where you're headed.

• willyloman
    willyloman

You may have planted some seeds with your mother that will sprout in time. And if not, you've made some logical arguments that will help someone else who comes along and reads what you wrote.

Nice work.

• marsh
    marsh

Gary,

They are only men ,wielding influence and power over people's lives, window cleaners/grass cutters etc: Some Elders I loved they were really nice,others are on a power trip.JCs can be frightening for some,I have been on one .The Elderesses are busybodies .Some Elders discuss private things with wives.

2 Elders came to see me to discuss things.I loved both of them.One was 'nice loving' the other disciplinarian,their love is conditional,they will only love you if you obey the WT.

Elders I know Gary don't believe everything in the Watchtower ,it is a sort of 'social club' for some .

Fran

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

I think you did really well. I wish I could get my sister to listen that much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit