Sunday Meeting 9/23/01

by peaceloveharmony 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Gopher
    Gopher

((( HARMONY ))),

Thanks for being our mole, and giving such a detailed report. You take way more organized notes than I ever did, and I was one who tried hard to get EVERYTHING down.

There were so many gems, including this one:

6. Entertainment
    --Don't try to match/imitate the world.
    From what I remember, lots of JW's secretly tried to match/imitate the world. How often we were given suggestions, like don't watch football, it's too violent, but people had and still have football parties. (This is AMERICAN football with helmets, guys.)

How could you endure that last song, "Contending for the True Faith"? You know it's a crock, and yet it seems to be teling their people to fight, be contentious against any who would disagree. I'm sure people out in their "territories" really appreciate a contentious JW standing at their doorstep, telling them how awful their religion is or their lack of religion, whatever the case.

Thanks for the post, and for your awesome attention to detail. It helps us know exactly what we're missing!

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• Satanus
    Satanus

Safe4kids

Thanks for picking up on the little flash of real truth, and pointing out that it came , not from the wt, but from 'the world'.

'Must realize that joy is not external. The world has not figured this out'

We all know they don't believe a word of this. They contradict this by then saying

'Center our attention on the congregation and the organization'

All of their advices point towards everything external for joy: study bible, study wt, feild service, meetings, take care of old people, think of how many jws think the same as them, etc etc. Any jw who noticed and tries to apply the internal joy thought is going to get royally messed up.

The 'internal joy' concept is new age, eastern religious in origin, i believe. It is an important truth.

S

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello PLH,

thanks for the post. It was nice to share
    the ...news with us.

I do agree with Ounfree comments: very, very logical

and pertinent to the subject. It shows haow the WTS

thinks ...grealy about the intelligence, understanding

and insight of the R&F ! In few words a very low opinion

indeed.

Greetings, J.C. MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• Moxy
    Moxy

say harmony. one thing i just noticed is you didnt mention the WTC attacks anywhere. were these not brought up?

i went to my meeting on sunday too (out of sympathy support for you ) and despite the unrelated subjects (PT was "Do You Put Your Trust in Science or the Bible" and the Abraham WT) the events of the past 2 weeks were frequently mentioned. usually in the context of, 'the world is becoming increasingly violent and unsafe and people are fearful of the future.'

id be surprised if the CO did not mention it.

another interesting point you might have missed in the WT study was the explanation of the old 430-yr teaching of the exodus, required to fix the bible chronological inconsistencies. it goes a little like this in the WT:

q) when did abraham cross the euphrates?
    a) evidently exactly 430 years before the exodus, to the very day in fact.
    q) how do we know that the 430 years started with the crossing of the euphrates?
    a) because that what evidently happened 430 years beforehand.

an absolutely circular and untenable interpretation. a russelian relic.

mox

• JWinSF
    JWinSF

Gosh, almost forgot about the meetings. Every once in a while [about every 1-2 years], I sneak in a little time to go to one. Usually the DC or the Memorial. Just have to do it for [1] a reminder as to why I left, [2] a bit of comic relief, and [3] to observe how truly sad looking [e.g., the "weight of the world on their shoulders" look] that "Jehovah's Happy People" have.

Mebbee I'll do a local cong sometime in the near future.

Toodles

• conflicted
    conflicted

Hi Harmony, I hope you didn't assimilate too much propaganda this weekend.

I also wanted to thank you.
    My boss came into my office and I was sleeping - nodded off during your synopsis of the Watchtower. Just like old times (sigh). Just kidding, no trouble on the work front, but a little warning next time would be appreciated. Somthing in the topic like: Incredibly boring sh*t, those with narcolepsy are strongly advised against reading.

Seriously though, I haven't been to a meeting in 11 years, and it really hasn't changed - it is the exact same boring, self-indulgent, deluded crap they have always taught. I thought that maybe there would have been a glimmer of 'new light' in eleven years, but appearantly not. I don't see how the lifers can take it, hearing the same stuff rehashed over and over - their minds must be jello.

I'll come back and read this again when I'm having trouble sleeping. You know, you may be on to a cure for insomnia - make 'em sit through a JW meeting.

Luv ya,
    conflicted

• Tina
    Tina

(((((((Harmy)))))))) ahhh de-briefing time lol.
    You mt dear,have earned your horns lol. Wear em proudly when ya get em.
    Thanks all for the great comments and insights!Truly it is the same old same old,but seeing it with new 'eyes' really shows how oppressive their way of life is. They should have titled it,How to Make and be Good Slaves'.
    Now Harmy,I prescribe a night of dancing,laffing,having fun with some friends to clean out any WT dirt from the experience.
    Thanks undercovergirl! luv ya,T

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

i just have a few more things to add. as we pulled into the parking lot at the hall, i asked my brother (he drove me seperate so we could arrive right as the meeting started) if it's always this crowded. he said no, just for the CO's visit.

and like you all, the contradictions seem glaringly obvious to me. didn't seem like any of the jws noticed them though.

Larc,

A lot of stuff was just plain old common sense. Keep a neat house and car, and be neat in your appearance. Seems to me, where I live, most people do that without having to be told.
    exactly my thoughts. i was sitting there thinking, "hello?? who doesn't know this already? why is the CO wasting time with this trivial shit? shouldn't he be talking about love or how to help those less fortunate than us?" i've been to catholic mass a few times and one of the major differences i found between jws service and a catholic service, the catholic preist actually seemed to be trying to convey some deeper message, some insight to the congregation.

April,

we should hit a convention together, with your tall boots, our mini skirts and my tattoos, i think we'd cause a bit of a stir. they'd prolly think we were lesbian lovers or something! LOL

Beetle,

Thanks for bringing out the point of Abraham stopping because of Terah, i had missed that. and it wasn't highlighted by any of the answerers at the hall. hmmmmm. ((((beetle))))

Anton,

I just realized why the JW faith relies so heavily on works instead of faith. Because if you look at it, Christ is only the intercessor for the 144,000, and only they are then saved by faith and grace alone. Since Christ is then NOT our personal Savior, and we are only the Great Crowd, we must then rely on our WORKS in the mosaic sense to attain a second rate redemption which requires us to spend eternity in on the earth in these limited bodies, while the 144,000 anointed ones escape these earthly confines to a much higher level of existence in Heaven.

wonderfully stated!!

Dana,

i found that comment <<Must realize that joy is not external. The world has not figured this out. >> very laughable too. hell, i've never been happier and i'm about as "worldly" as one gets! and i discovered AFTER leaving how to find joy within myself, it had nothing to do with the commands of men to study more, attend meetings, set spiritual (i think they redefine spiritual here, i think they mean organizational) goals, etc, etc, blah blah blah.

logical,

thanks for your comments, you are right on. i understand your not being able to read it all....quite a bit of bs to digest eh? (((logi)))

Ken,

i took notes, i only got about 4 hrs of sleep the night before so i had to take notes, otherwise i'd have fallen asleep. guess my college career paid off eh? one thing i learned was how to pay attention even to the most boring drivel!

outnfree,

thank you for expanding on the WT article! i don't have anything to add to what you said, you said it all. as a side note, i fell back into my old habit of studying the article during the meeting. even without the reading of the paragraphs, i'd have to answers underlined before the speaker finished asking the question. needless to say, i was never a very prepared witness nor did i care oh and i was there as a compromise, i got to use my mom's car to go to a party saturday night, she got me to come to the meeting.

Gopher,

yes, i found this comment <<6. Entertainment
    --Don't try to match/imitate the world.>> quite laughable. considering the fact that my own brothers are in a rock band (actually the youngest one is in about 3, he plays whenever his talents are needed) now, i am so HAPPY for my brothers that they are allowed to do this but what gets me is what about joe blow's son what wants to play in a band, join a team? and joe blow is a hardnose jw (and probably just a jerk) and refuses his son's wishes? it's just not fair.

Moxy,

ahh, thank you for attending your meeting out of sympathy! you said

one thing i just noticed is you didnt mention the WTC attacks anywhere. were these not brought up?
    the WTC was mentioned in passing by the CO <<-Kingdom hope. No other people on earth come close with answers to present day sufferings. (reference to WTC, "like the events last week")>> and i do recall that paragraph with the 430 years thing mentioned, didn't mention it because well, because i didn't get it, their reasoning made no sense which you point out.

John,

yup, i attend for similar reasons, a nice reminder as to why i know i made the right decision to get out.

Conflicted,

hehe, sorry about that, i'll put warning on title next time! LOL.

Tina,

i can't wait for the horns!! i will wear them proudly

everyone else who commented, thank you so much for taking the time to read this and for your comments and kind words. it wasn't the worst two hours of my life but was close, hehe. what made it fun was reporting it back to the board. and i'd never paid such close attention to a meeting before. still baffles me that people buy into this crap!!

love and hugs
    harmony

Most people think, Great God will come from the skies, Take away everything And make everybody feel high. But if you know what life is worth, You will look for yours on earth: And now you see the light, You stand up for your rights.~~Bob Marley

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

hehe, one more thing, i left the hall immediately after the closing prayer. when my mom got home she passed on messages from people at the hall, tell harmony we miss her, say hi to harmony from us..etc..it's hard for me to bite my tongue. and really by now, their hi's and miss you's don't mean to much to me. what if i was sick or in a bad spot in life, their platitudes would do me NO good. they think their words, their little bits of good thoughts passed on to me thru my mom make a difference in my life? now don't get me wrong, it's great to know that they DO miss me, but so frustrating knowing that it doesn't have to be that way. they choose man-made, organizational rules over simple common curtesy. ugh!

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

Nice post Harm... BOOK ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit