Questions for believers in God

by KW13 29 Replies latest jw friends

• KW13
    KW13

What God do 'we' believe in? I am a believer at the moment i think...

Firstly we are directed away from questioning just how God came into existance - why? because apparently he decided not to answer that one!

Then consider, if he's such a 'loving' God - where is he now? why are we paying for adam and eves mistake? where is the forgiveness?

People say they were 'saved' and had a very near miss with death "oh i walked away from a car accident, it was a miracle" yet on the same day 10 people (or a lot more depending where and what disaster) die.

If he created Adam and Eve the way he did, this being the God that knows all, surely as the designer and creator he could see they would sin!?!! surely he's not so short sighted? prior to them sinning we believe they were normal human beings that knew right and wrong, but they only knew this after eating from the tree in the garden.

before they ate, they weren't aware of their nakedness YET GOD WAS - i dont really like the idea of being nieve and in a way, shielded from such simple things.

How can a just God sit in heaven, watching the mess down here and not intervene? (or as some believe, he intervenes in some situations while CHOOSING not to get involved in others).

If Christians aren't about war, then look at the israelites and the battles they fought with GODS BACKING...

If he can forgive then why not forgive Satan? Maybe he has...

If the bible is his inspired work, then how come men compiled the books we have? These decisions weren't by God at all! They chose what they thought was suitable.

• gordon d
    gordon d

Hey KW13.... Do You Have Children????

Did you ever have to take some action that broke your heart and may have seemed cruel to them. But it was an action that you knew would help them grow, and become better children.

For some of your "Why's" Perhaps there is some small insight into the Master plan (of a being whose intelligence we cannot EVEN imagine) found in this one simple scripture: 1 Peter 1:20

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

KW13 You ask very good questions. I would say to you flee all religion and go and live your life to the best of your ability. Educate yourself, and or pursue your dreams, or find out what your dreams are. There are answers to your questions but I doubt any are satisfying or hold water. The answerer will answer you hoping to real you into his web or persuasion. The bible is called the gospell or godspell. When you read it you fall under a godspell if your not careful and cautious. Then you suffer a severe loss of energy as your energy will be going to support someone elses dreams and ambitions.

If there was a god you would think you could ask the questions of him and he would answer them for you. That in itself should tell you something. Get out, get away while you can.

I tell you this seeing your 18 years old. But then I see you have almost 3000 post you have some mileage or wear on you, young one.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

funny you should bring up this topic ..today i saw a news program about the situation in Darfur..

there was a young child with an eye infection, crud and snot dried all over his face, no medication, no food. nothing but misery and his poor mother beside him with defeat and sorrow in her eyes. they showed an old woman who's husband (or father ) had been set on fire and she had jumped on him to put out the flames. she was burned so badly and he had died suffering.

i looked at that and wondered how anyone worthy of worship would allow such things to go on in the world.. and its not just that situation, sickness, poverty, abuse, misery etc is global.

the bible says something like when something is done to Gods people its like touching god in the eyeball... what do you do if you get touched in the eyeball? you throw up your hands and you stop it from happening again! God has slow reflexes i guess.

if god could intervene when balaams ass was being beaten why doesnt he intervene every TIME a child is abused?? if he exsists ...he CAN..he just DOESN'T.

i dont know if i still believe in god. i also have to question if there IS a god..why is he worthy of worship. just for creating us? for letting his son die ? those things are admirable but thousands of years of human suffering kind of cancels those things out.

other "why's" If the bible is inspired of god why isnt it clearer what we need to do to please him? everything can be contradicted in the bible by simply applying other scriptures. if i wrote an instruction manual it wouldnt say insert part a in part b but then take it back out and insert it backwards..it'd be CLEAR. why isnt his instruction manual clearer?

dont get me wrong.. i WANT to believe in god. i want to believe there is more to life than this. i want to believe that there is a reason for my exsistance. i want to believe there is hope for my children and their children.but... me wanting it, me believing it, doesnt make it real.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I think KW13's questions were rhetorical. ("hmmmm, rhetorical eh?"-Homer Simpson)

I've posted before on how God's 'fatherly' example as recorded in the bible, if followed by me, would have me put in prison for NEGLECT.

• wvpeach
    wvpeach

Kw 13 ,

Let me take a stab at answering your questions?

your asking why does God allow suffering in this nasty old world? Correct?

Imagine Michael Jordan on the basket ball court all by himself. He's dribbling and shooting. you don't know him ,he seems adequate at basketball , nothing more. Now put him in competition with another player.

hey this is interesting. Michael Jordan is a great basketball player when you see him compared to another. He's fabulous , the best there is compared with another player. Its just that way with God, how could we ever know how great he is without the comparison of evil to know it?

God did know when he made all of creation that sin and evil would happen in in his heavenly beings. he knew ahead of time that Satan would cause a revolt in heaven. But God wanted beings , both among mankind and heavenly beings that could commune with and love him, he did not want robots, so he gave us free will. He knew that free will would lead to millions of problems and much suffering but he must have felt it was worth it for in the end we will be able to walk and talk with God on a intelligent level and not as mindless robots.

We think in our human suffering that it's a emergency that it stop, now we cry we want relief from suffering now.

What we forget is that our human lifetimes are just a blip on the screen to God's time. he lives in eternity and our suffering is short lived to him. Not to us, but it is to God. Kinda like telling your child a hundred times not to touch the heater its hot. Then one day you see that child gently put its hand towards the heater. You realize its never going to listen as you've told it a hundred times to stay away from the heater, so this is the perfect time, its going slow, its gently going to put its hand on the heater. So you let it knowing that yes it will get burned , but only a little , much better it learn that lesson now than one day running full force and falls head first in the heater and is burned beyond repair.

Without the night we'd never appreciate the suns rays . Without sickness most take being fit and healthy for granted.

Without sadness, we'd not know what real happiness is. Without evil and misery we'd never know just how loving and great God is when he gets rid of evil and misery in the world.

When this mess we call humanity is over the good news is we will all praise him for his ordering and numbering of the things of the world.

The bible says so.

The bible also says that even though we might not understand why people are taken from the world much too soon , we should have faith, because how do we know that they were not taken to save them from something else that was coming much worse down the road?

Starving children in Africa for instance. They live short miserable lives. yet they are maybe the lucky ones are they not?

They don't have to endure a world full of hate and war as we do. They live a short life then go to God. I'd say thats mercy.

Who else would you worship except God , who else is worthy of worship, except the one who gives life to everything?

The bible is a instruction manual and its not flawed believe me. . I know where your coming from on whats up with the bible.

All Gods favorites were worse sinners than most of us have ever known.

Moses a murder, and partial to strange women

King David had his mistress 's husband murdered because he knocked her up while her husband was away fighting a war for him. Heck of a nice guy that David.

Abraham lied and told people his wife was his sister, to save his own skin even though he knew she'd be raped .

Soloman and his 1002 wifes and concubines who turned him away from God with thier strange religions.

Women should leave the village when they are on thier period and thier husbands are unclean if they even brush thier hands together during that time.

God admits he made the Ostrich so stupid it steps on and kills its own eggs and is too stupid to know its just killed its own off spring.

God allows Satan to tempt his own son and allows that son to die on a cross a agonizing death.

It all sounded crazy to me when I first read it. Heck it sounded crazy to me for the first ten times I read it,

But its not and with prayer for understanding and teaching you will see that it is not crazy too.

The bible talks about christians being feed different strength foods as they are ready to recieve. The foods being the words and ways of God. Some are fed water and milk, as they progresss they are fed wine and milk.

Babes in Christ cannot expect to start a diet of wine and meat till they have first recieved all God has to teach them being fed water and milk .

if your serious about studying the bible start each study time with a prayer in Jesus Christ the son of God name.

Ask for wisdom and knowledge about the word of God.

Ask and ye shall recieve , but you have to ask first. Once you ask , you'll be amazed at how the bible becomes clearer and clearer to you as you read and grow with the Holy Spirits Help.

The bible tells us that hearing they will not hear and seeing they will not see. God does this , he has made the bible simple enough for even a child to comprehend, but prayer and asking is the key to unraveling its mysteries.

you want to believe , Bravo. Pray also for unshakeable faith.

Prayer is the key to it all. Thats the part about free will again. Its true God does call some from birth , but most he wait's on them to come to him. You can only go to him in prayer. Soloman asked for wisdom and knowledge of God and he recieved it.

I did too as have many millions upon millions over the years and I recieved.

• wvpeach
    wvpeach

Thats wine and meat as the heartier diet of God for mature christians.

Sorry I made a mistake and I can't figure out how to edit this site.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    All Gods favorites were worse sinners than most of us have ever known.

Moses a murder, and partial to strange women

King David had his mistress 's husband murdered because he knocked her up while her husband was away fighting a war for him. Heck of a nice guy that David.

Abraham lied and told people his wife was his sister, to save his own skin even though he knew she'd be raped .

Soloman and his 1002 wifes and concubines who turned him away from God with thier strange religions.

Women should leave the village when they are on thier period and thier husbands are unclean if they even brush thier hands together during that time.

God admits he made the Ostrich so stupid it steps on and kills its own eggs and is too stupid to know its just killed its own off spring.

God allows Satan to tempt his own son and allows that son to die on a cross a agonizing death.

It all sounded crazy to me when I first read it. Heck it sounded crazy to me for the first ten times I read it,

But its not and with prayer for understanding and teaching you will see that it is not crazy too.

Sorry...Still sounds like a bunch of shit to me. The boys at the top got away with murder and the common person got screwed. If any "common israelites" had spoke out against David or Solomon they would have been put to death at once. If anyone dares to speak out against the GB DF'ing is the rule. Nothing has changed. The god of the jw's is a god of blood,guts pain and suffering.

There are a lot of religions in the world and they all have a LOT of problems.

When this mess we call humanity is over the good news is we will all praise him for his ordering and numbering of the things of the world.

The bible says so.

O.K. Then......

• gumby
    gumby

Don't listen to that poster Prostate....he's an apostate.

Gordy says,

Did you ever have to take some action that broke your heart and may have seemed cruel to them

Gee, this seems like a good analogy Gordy. Let's see if you would allow done to your child what god allows done to his ( which number in the billions)

Would you,

......let your daughter be raped, or let your wife be tortured, or let your son die of treatable cancer, or let your granparents be robbed and beaten to death..........so that in the long run they'd learn a good lesson from it that would benifit them?

Tell me exactly how anything like that would benifit a person gordy? Would your daughter look at her rape as something to learn from? If so, what would she learn from it? Or would she rather be haunted by it?

...and, why do you try to compare a hardship we'd let our kids go through - to the millions who have been tortured to death....such as burned at the stake? Is your analogy even close to fair?

Gumby

• Carmel
    Carmel

One needs to be careful when generalizing about the nature of "God" then limiting their questions to one limited distorted rendering, (ie the OT). There are other "believers" that do not share your assumptions about such literal understandings of scripture such as the Genesis account.

THE UNKNOWABLE ESSENCE

All the people have formed a god in the world of thought, and that form of their own imagination they worship; when the fact is that the imagined form is finite and the human mind is infinite. Surely the infinite is greater than the finite, for imagination is accidental while the mind is essential; surely the essential is greater than the accidental.

Therefore consider: All the sects and peoples worship their own thought; they create a god in their own minds and acknowledge him to be the creator of all things, when that form is a superstition -- thus people adore and worship imagination.

That Essence of the Divine Entity and the Unseen of the unseen is holy above imagination and is beyond thought. Consciousness doth not reach It. Within the capacity of comprehension of a produced reality that Ancient Reality cannot be contained. It is a different world; from it there is no information; arrival thereat is impossible; attainment thereto is prohibited and inaccessible. This much is known: It exists and Its existence is certain and proven -- but the condition is unknown.

All the philosophers and the doctors knew that It is, but they were perplexed in the comprehension of Its existence and were at last discouraged, and in great despair they left this world. For the comprehension of the condition and mysteries of that Reality of realities and Mystery of mysteries there is need for another power and another sense. That power and sense is not possessed by mankind, therefore they have not found any information. For example: If a man possess the power of hearing, the power of tasting, the power of smelling and the power of feeling, but no power of seeing, he cannot see. Hence, through the powers and senses present in man the realization of the Unseen Reality, which is pure and holy above the reach of doubts, is impossible. Other powers are needed and other senses required. If those powers and senses are obtained, then information can be had; otherwise, not

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 381)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit