Questions for believers in God

by KW13 29 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

No worries, pal. I guess I could just cut to the chase and state the method I use.

If something doesn't sit right I examine my hypothesis and any underlying assumptions. Sometimes I'm asking completely the wrong question, sometimes the question is good but I'm assuming something that I really shouldn't.

Thusfar this approach is helping me cut through the dross and arrive at a framework that works for me. It might not work for the next person, and it certainly needs plenty more polishing (for which I'm thusfar indebted to Gumby's nutsack shiner). Meanwhile, however, I'm enjoying the journey, and allowing my beliefs to evolve accordingly.

This is often the basis upon which I ask questions in this forum. To be candid, we were never taught to do this, which is why so many of our arguments are flawed. It certainly keeps this place interesting, though

• spiceant
    spiceant

you asked some questions:

1Firstly we are directed away from questioning just how God came into existance - why? because apparently he decided not to answer that one!

2Then consider, if he's such a 'loving' God - where is he now? why are we paying for adam and eves mistake? where is the forgiveness?

3People say they were 'saved' and had a very near miss with death "oh i walked away from a car accident, it was a miracle" yet on the same day 10 people (or a lot more depending where and what disaster) die.

4If he created Adam and Eve the way he did, this being the God that knows all, surely as the designer and creator he could see they would sin!?!! surely he's not so short sighted? prior to them sinning we believe they were normal human beings that knew right and wrong, but they only knew this after eating from the tree in the garden.

5before they ate, they weren't aware of their nakedness YET GOD WAS - i dont really like the idea of being nieve and in a way, shielded from such simple things.

6How can a just God sit in heaven, watching the mess down here and not intervene? (or as some believe, he intervenes in some situations while CHOOSING not to get involved in others).

7If Christians aren't about war, then look at the israelites and the battles they fought with GODS BACKING...

8If he can forgive then why not forgive Satan? Maybe he has...

9If the bible is his inspired work, then how come men compiled the books we have? These decisions weren't by God at all! They chose what they thought was suitable.

1 God is infinite, he has always existed, he exists now and he will always exist. Before anything was, there was also no concept of the beginning, of God. It may be hard to imagine, but there was no concept of time untill God created everything.

2 God is a loving god as you assume and he created us free and with the ability to love. Love may appear to be a mysterious something but it cannot be forced, perhaps not even by god by the mere definition of love. We are free to choose and we are free to love or not to. We are here on earth to get a chance to show our love for God, with all our heart, all our passion and all our intelligence. He in turn will help us, in the same way we should help other's, not letting his left hand know what his right hand is doing, this is how God works.

3 Every day people die. Are the people that die in terrorist attacks any worse then the people dying from aids? Not at all, unless we turn around to god and Christ our savior we will die.

4 Would you think God was a loving god if he created us as robot's that automaticly did his bidding? He created us free with the ability to love, if we are not free to love and be responsible our creator who created us cannot be a loving God. I have reason to believe you have heard it before, though.

5 I'm not sure what your question is, but i assume you are disturbed by that god realised something we didn't. Was this a bad thing? I argue not, humanity was still holy and wouldn't have done anything wrong, there wasn't a need to be ashamed.

6 We humans have been given the responsebility over the earth and the animals, the fish, the birds and all other life on earth. We as humanity have abused this. If God would instantly resurrect and cure every innocent victim of all sin there would be no reason for anyone to stop sinning. Why would we stop sinning, if god cures it anyway? Its the same with smoking, if we made a cure for it, why would anyone stop smoking? If i broke a child's arm every day and god would instantly heal the bone and delight it would i have any reason not to break it again?

7 Old times of Israel were reasonably different from ours and all the nations probably to. I dont have all my facts straight but rest assured none of the nations that they did without god's backing let live corrupted them and caused many israelis to sin. In the future some of the nations they were ordered to wipe out but didn't later turned on them. God knew they were no good and of no use. Among other reasons those nations were also big strong and wealthy, while God is a god of the weak and foolish.

8 Before anyone can reasonably be forgiven there must be possibility of any form of repentance, or can you just forgive anyone that does not care about what wrong he might have done? Also, Satan was glorious and with knowledge but he chose in his perfect state to rebel against god and god rightly foresaw that he would never turn from his ways.

9 The bible is an inspired book and men wrote it all down, under inspiration (hence, inspired). The knowledge of the bible is almost constantly reaffirmed as absolute good knowledge. The book of proverbs is full of it, the gospels and many of the stories. All the prophecies that came true are backed up by science, Babylon stays desolate. Some other scientific discoveries were later only rediscovered by modern science. The originel bible is in unity with itself, conform.

I hope i have given you statisfactory answers.

But i hope you will also lay bare any problems you have with God or if you will call him that Yahweh or Jehovah. Be carefull not to make any man but the messiah your head. As you may know Satan has humanity yet again hopping after people, as vultures circling over corpses. I am not just talking about JW's and not just about the pope.

en gard, spiceant

• Undecided
    Undecided

This doesn't make any sense to me.

Starving children in Africa for instance. They live short miserable lives. yet they are maybe the lucky ones are they not?

They don't have to endure a world full of hate and war as we do. They live a short life then go to God. I'd say thats mercy

God's mercy and love is shown by having children suffer and die while young? I hope he doens't show me that kind of mercy.

Ken P.

• wvpeach
    wvpeach

well undecided its very simple, take the region of dafur for instance.

A endless cycle repeats itself there, they are born to live in poverty and hunger in a area where often thier only joy is thier children and mate.

The mortality rate for children is very high in that area. So its likely if you talk to any parent they have suffered the loss of at least one of thier children if not many of thier children.

Is it not merciful to end that suffering as a child instead of allowing them to wittness the death of thier own children standing by with nothing they can do to stop it?

Or as another example my fifteen year old nephew died in a car accident five years ago. We all miss him terribly he was a great kid. Could tell stories that would one day win him the king of the BS award I'm sure. He always had a smile on his face and a laugh that was infectous.

I never dounted that his life served a purpose as short as it was. I also never doubted that God took him from us for a reason , maybe that he not suffer as a cripple for life, something he would have not lived well with.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts
    Is it not merciful to end that suffering as a child instead of allowing them to wittness the death of thier own children standing by with nothing they can do to stop it?

that is human rationalization. but shouldn't we expect MORE from god? is that how he shows mercy? allowing the same cycle to replicate, taking more and more lives, compounding misery upon misery and not doing anything about it? thats not mercy.that is neglect.

• acadian
    acadian
    How can a just God sit in heaven, watching the mess down here and not intervene?

It's not God's fault there's suffering, death starvation ect. thay's man's fault. God provided all of man's needs and more, but it's up to us to distribute those resources accordingly. But greed and selfishness have produced untold suffering. Is that God's fault? If justice be served, we all could be counted as guilty and deserving of punishment. Have any of us never done anything to hurt someone else? I think not, we all stand accused. God gave man free will, are you good or are you evil? what you do with it will determine your outcome in life. All the suffering in the world does not prove there is no God. it only shows man's governments are lacking in there ablilty to provide peace and security for mankind.(and they never will) And looking at world events today it pretty obvious. And a study of scripture shows God will intervene, in his time, not our's. No, God is not the problem, man is. Acadian

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Candidly:

...shouldn't we expect MORE from god?

Why? If God truly is God, then why should He have to do anything? Since when were our expectations the tune to which He should jump? What makes mankind so big in the whole cosmos that God must act?

We are a backward and violent species on a spitball of a planet mostly covered in salt water rotating around a mediocre sun in a fairly non-descript galaxy. Doesn't that description just make you want to donate your liver right on the spot?!!!

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    1 God is infinite, he has always existed,...

No offense, spiceant, but you lost me with your tone. Unless you are God yourself or have visited heaven and have come here to offer an eyewitness account, then really all you can do is tell us what you are convinced of, not what you know.

At any rate, flowers and kittys and puppys and this cute girl named Sarah's smile suggest that God is worth knowing. But since he isn't shoving that in my face, I don't see why anyone else needs to.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts
    If God truly is God, then why should He have to do anything? Since when were our expectations the tune to which He should jump? What makes mankind so big in the whole cosmos that God must act?

that's a good point..i'd have to answer that with because we're under the impression that he CAN change things, that he doesnt because he's just not ready yet. which goes back to the original post.. why ? why doesnt he? why hasnt he? when will he?

i mean no disrespect to God or to anyone that believes in him. i lived a long life believing but now i question and i'm now free to question. i just hope i find some answers eventually.

• spiceant
    spiceant
    No offense, spiceant , but you lost me with your tone. Unless you are God yourself or have visited heaven and have come here to offer an eyewitness account, then really all you can do is tell us what you are convinced of, not what you know.

Thats true, its what i believe. I cannot prove it on my own, it is in your bibles and wether you choose to believe the bible is your own choice.

God will not be patiƫnt with injustice forever, i quote the scriptures here

God isn't late with his promise as some measure lateness. He is restraining himself on account of you, holding back the End because he doesn't want anyone lost. He's giving everyone space and time to change. - 2 Peter 3:9

But when the Day of God's Judgment does come, it will be unannounced, like a thief. The sky will collapse with a thunderous bang, everything disintegrating in a huge conflagration, earth and all its works exposed to the scrutiny of Judgment. But when the Day of God's Judgment does come, it will be unannounced, like a thief. The sky will collapse with a thunderous bang, everything disintegrating in a huge conflagration, earth and all its works exposed to the scrutiny of Judgment. - 2 Peter 3:10

I suppose i can imagine how much comfort some people need but that i really don't know. God is a just god and he certainly will discern between anyone that has left him because of the injust works of people who claim to be his and someone that has left him out of true free will, and between someone who never aproached him because of what bad reputation man has caused him to bear. Looking at what bad ruinous things are in the world it may come as no surprise no-one arrogant will not be ashamed.

Now i'm not sure if we'r in the end times yet but i can imagine we might enter it any time now, if we haven't.

regards, ant

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit