The Retractable Dangling Carrot

by TMS 29 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

I shouldn't be, but still am, constantly amazed at how many JW males measure their entire, yes, entire, self-worth based on nothing else but how many "theocratic privileges" they have.

And if they screw up somehow, and their privileges are removed, they become shrunken, bitter, empty shells, mad at the whole world, or fall into the deepest, blackest despair imaginable.

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

This link details the original meaning of "privilege" and evidences that the WT use of it reveals their arrogance (among other things......

http://perimeno.ca/Are_We_Privileged.htm

• Magnum
    Magnum

sir82: I shouldn't be, but still am, constantly amazed at how many JW males measure their entire, yes, entire, self-worth based on nothing else but how many "theocratic privileges" they have

I've noticed that about JW males, too, and it sickens me. It seems to consume many of them. I've often heard some of them say among each other things like "what are you doing?" [referring to cong "privileges" & assignments]. It seems that the main focus for many is on privileges and assignments - not seeking truth, serving a higher power, serving their fellow creatures, etc.

• TMS
    TMS

Opening my mail sometime in the spring, my heart would pound seeing a letter from the Watchtower, knowing it was my district assembly speaking assignment. Ripping the letter open, I would quickly scan it to see if the part was something I could "sink my teeth into."

These superfluous perks were not worth the time spent away from family for rehearsals, not to mention the elder duties needed to maintain the privilege, but that was not my mindset at the time.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Hi TMS,

I read in some of your postings that you are in the RGV? is that so?

I am in the RGV as well

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

For whatever reason my posting is getting cut off after the "Hi"

I meant to ask if you were in the RGV

• All for show
    All for show
    Great Post. 100% my dad, an amazing/generous/successful man who views his worth through this F*&^ed up JW lense. Of course he isn't used as punishment for being successful-total control mechanism.
  • LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField
    TMS - you bring some very good perspectives to this board.
  • fukitol
    fukitol
    All Miserable Servants and Eldohs should simply take the Watchtowers retractable carrot and shove it up the Watchtowers ass!
  • Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Interestingly, FS is never used as a carrot.

No matter how far demoted you are, you can always go into field service (unless DF).

Put on restrictions? No answering for you during the meetings, so you can improve your spiritual health. Uh...how is that going to help?

Now if they said: you're on restrictions, no FS for you, use that time to work on your spiritual health instead...that might make sense.

Are you a (seemingly) 'repentant' pedo? No mic roving of reading paragraphs for you, because you might be dangerous.

But you can go out in FS and meet all kinds of nice young people to witness to.

FS must always go on. New recruits and their money are needed...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit