The Retractable Dangling Carrot

by TMS 29 Replies latest jw friends

• TMS
    TMS

Some scattered thoughts about the granting or denial of “privileges of service” as a control mechanism:

This method of persuasion involving reward or punishment is so deeply ingrained in Watchtower function, it is second nature. Although sometimes subtle, sometimes blatant, everyone from new Bible Study to traveling overseer is subconsciously aware of the possible limiting of his official opportunities to serve God and his brothers.

As in a large corporation, the irony is that one man’s distinct “privilege of service” becomes another man’s punishment in this so-called “theocracy”.

In the late 1960’s Thomas E. Moore, a circuit overseer, wrote what he described as a heartfelt letter to the Society, detailing how long he and his wife and been on the road without the opportunity to visit family and friends. He requested an assignment to a California District Assembly. He received a terse response from the Society, stating that circuit overseers were not needed in California, but, nevertheless, assigning him to one of the California assemblies with “no privileges”. He was to pay his own way. When I saw Tom later that summer, he said: “Boy, when the Society says “No privileges”, they mean it. All they had me do was act as chairman for one session (introduce the speakers) and work as a departmental assistant to a publisher (Tom’s designation for one of the local elders not in full-time work)." I often thought how thrilled one of the local brothers would have felt to have been used in that way, but for a veteran traveling brother use to much more, it was a punishment.

Longtime district overseer Eugene Brandt was assigned for one year in 1978 to circuit work in Arkansas. He confided to one of the brothers that he was being disciplined by the Society. How many brothers would give their eye teeth to be circuit overseers, even for a year?

Even Ray Franz, after narrowly averting disfellowshipping in a close governing body vote, was evidently offered Special Pioneer Service on the infirm list. How ironic is that?

In the local congregation, control can seem more subtle, even innocent. The elder conducting the meeting pretends to scan the audience for “hands”, not acknowledging the lone arm nearly out of socket belonging to Brother Not-Well-Thought-Of. “Well, if there are no further comments, let’s have the reading of the next paragraph.” Nearly everyone in the hall is aware of the intentional snub and adjusts their theocratic ledger accordingly. Brother Not may be guilty of any number of infractions, real or imagined, but this little curtailment of his theocratic opportunity is part of his readjustment and puts others on notice to conform to theocratic order.

TMS

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

punishments of service!

• patio34
    patio34

TMS,

I never thought of that! For years there was this one WT study conductor who simply would not call on me. There were at least two other sisters who complained of the same treatment.

I know you referred to males who are the only ones allowed any privileges. But as pointed out, women can have even their one or two privileges removed.

Thanks for the perspective!

Pat

(edited to remove the guy's name!)

• Tina
    Tina

oooooo patio!1 You too? lOl
    Did ya catch a Jez rap like I did? lololol....hugs,T

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

What a scam the whole 'privelege' thing is.

What better way to get people to work for u for free than declairing it a 'privelege'? They've got people 'reaching out' to be 'used'. A brilliant scam.

Path

• Farkel
    Farkel

Tina,

: oooooo patio!1 You too? lOl
    Did ya catch a Jez rap like I did? lololol....

"Jezebel" - a woman who tells it like it is when elders don't want the way it is to be known.

Does that about sum it up?

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I wonder if any CO has tried reverse psychology to get a posting in a location of their choice. E.g. write a letter imploring an assignment anywhere but California. The WTS then assigns the CO to California as punishment for asking.

Apparently, this is what agents did in the FBI when Hoover was in charge. An agent would talk to his boss about a post in a certain town. The boss would talk to Hoover and tell him this agent is doing a bad job and hates a certain town. Hoover would have the agent transferred to this town as punishment.

Thrdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• Tina
    Tina

(((((((((Fark))))))))hey Sweetie!

Lol Yep that sums it up :> Once you get a Jezzy rap they will never let you answer in the KH anymore(they're afraid of what you might say lol) You get that nifty little talk in the 'back room' about 'running ahead' blah blah blah-they NEVER actually tell you you can't answer,but show it by doing that lol. idiots.luv ya,T

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• Room 215
    Room 215

Yeah,
    Thye used to call this ``getting the shaft'' at Bethel. The one effective antidote is to stop caring about their approbation. As with Huck Finn and Tom, such privileges are akin to whitewashing the fence anyway.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Yeah,
    They used to call this ``getting the shaft'' at Bethel. The one effective antidote is to stop caring about their approbation. As with Huck Finn and Tom, such privileges are akin to whitewashing the fence anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit