The Retractable Dangling Carrot

by TMS 29 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Too late for some now, but for others, 2 suggestions:

First, talk to the WT Conductor with another sister (or your husband if he is a JW) present, asking why it seems you are not called on. Ask to answer a specific question in the next WT study and have it already selected for his convenience. Before the public talk, remind him of it (still with sister or husband in tow), to watch him make a note of your name by that paragraph. (Pick one close to the beginning so you can implement second suggestion right away if necessary).

Second, if that doesn't work, then raise your hand on every paragraph until you are called on.

I have seen this work every time. At the very least they have to give you an verbal explanation in front of someone else.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: As in a large corporation, the irony is that one man’s distinct “privilege of service” becomes another man’s punishment in this so-called “theocracy”.

I guess the WTS invented a term long ago that I considered to be very modern and high-tech. It's called a "Denial-of-Service Attack!"

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

• radar
    radar

TMS

This method of persuasion involving reward or punishment is so deeply ingrained in Watchtower function, it is second nature

Your observations made me think about how the congregations are taught, on how to deal with wrongdoing.
    Whatever the nature of the wrongdoing, the counsel and admonition is always the same, namely: DO MORE BIBLE STUDY!
    So bible study became a type of punishment!

Which of course, is true<G>

Radar

• anglise
    anglise

Off course the carrot only works if the animal is stuoid, hungry or greedy anyway.
    My (then) teenage sons spent most meetings trying to get out of doing microphone duty. ie not wearing a jacket and sitting in the middle of the row etc. So when an elder told them that they might no longer qualify for that PRIVILEGE due to their low fs record they laughed at him as they thought he was doing them a favour. (Poor man thought he was helping them)
    Needless to say they are no longer in the org.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    In the local congregation, control can seem more subtle, even innocent. The elder conducting the meeting pretends to scan the audience for “hands”, not acknowledging the lone arm nearly out of socket belonging to Brother Not-Well-Thought-Of. “Well, if there are no further comments, let’s have the reading of the next paragraph.” Nearly everyone in the hall is aware of the intentional snub and adjusts their theocratic ledger accordingly. Brother Not may be guilty of any number of infractions, real or imagined, but this little curtailment of his theocratic opportunity is part of his readjustment and puts others on notice to conform to theocratic order.

ha...just came across this....brilliant perception...

i was thinking about the whole dangling carrot thing recently...i always had circuit work held out as a goal to me..everyone knew i wanted to be a circuit overseer..and that i would be good at it..i didnt take the pretend to be disinterested stance...the exagerated surptise at being asked...but in all truth it was never going to happen..too outspoken...too ready to fight for justice for those unable to fight for themselves which inevitably meant clashing with service commitees, cos, dos, who would be the ones that would have to recommend me.

and at every circuit and district assembly pioneering is recommended as a springboard to greater priveleges - circuit work, missionary, bethel etc when in fact there are nowhere near as many assignments available as there are pioneers which leads to frustration and disillusion especially when someone who hasnt pioneered for very long or never pioneered at all (even stayed on for further education) gets an assignment ahead of someone who taken the recommended organizational route and been constantly overlooked.

but you never see this until you are on the outside looking in

• carla
    carla

As an outsider, what you guys consider privileges is very strange to say the least! Some of the 'privileges' I have heard some talk about sound like punishments to begin with.

• TMS
    TMS

I wonder if the carrot is still dangled in 2008.

• TMS
    TMS
    this thread from 14 years ago may or may not be relevant now
  • Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

It will continue to dangle 'til we die and people going after it just the same. Sad.

DY

• prologos
    prologos
    congratulations for contributing for 14 years, music to our ears. gave it a like. because you said it like it [still] is

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit