CAN YOU FEEL THE LOVE HERE?

by Mary 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

Last night I was at a friends house (ex-Witnesses). They faded several years ago, much to her parents and her children's annoyance. Her parents live out west but were coming to Toronto for a visit. She speaks to them about once a month on the phone (she calls them---they rarely, if ever call her ever since she stopped going to the meetings). She was waiting for a phonecall from them as she knew approximately when they would be visiting her other sister, who still goes. The call never came. She found out through her son, a self-righteous, pompous asshole, that he took it upon himself to tell his grandparents that his mother smoked. Her parents came to see their worldly siblings, who live 3 streets over from my friend and they never even bothered to come and see her. No phone call, no nothing. They refused to inquire about their new great-grandson, because their grandson also left the Borg and he and his girlfriend had the baby out of wedlock (gasp!). The real killer is that all of her siblings----who were raised in "the Troof", all smoke themselves!! What the HELL is the difference?? Because she was baptized at 16---her siblings weren't.

My girlfriend was shocked, angry and upset to say the least. Her other siblings also left the Borg years and years ago, yet her parents spent time with them when they were up here. She told me last night that as far as she's concerned, she has no mother or father anymore and will not go to their funeral when they die. I think it's appalling that all these "superfine Christians" go far beyond "what is written", and totally cut their own flesh and blood off over something stupid like smoking. I'd also like to smash my girlfriend's son in the face for telling his grandparents about her smoking. He knew damn well what the result would be. And BTW, he won't let my girlfriend see her grandkids anymore either, because she smokes, even though she's promised that she will not smoke in front of them.

Agape love at it's finest eh?

• mouthy
    mouthy

I feel your anger sweetie. But you have to remember they are just like the Nazi's that put men ,women & children into the ovens, & gassed them. WHY???? Love for the Fuher!!!! These people have given up their rights to think. They dont know what LOVE is. How could they? They are taught by a wolf,I do hope in time the anger of your friend will subside. --The only person anger hurts> is self.... That is how I got ulcers, give it over to the higher power. What goes around comes around in my opinion.

Love you Mary, love your new picture (((((HUGS))))

• outnfree
    outnfree

No matter how many times I read these stories, I still keep getting sick to my stomach with disgust.

What kind of religion inspires its members to turn upon their own families? Not one. Only cults do. To me, this is now the litmus test: OK to love people even if you dislike/disapprove of their lifestyle=religion. OK to cut people when you dislike/disapprove of their lifestyle=cult. Period.

God/dess/Source/Love/Light/Universe is bigger than that.

So sorry for your friend, Mary. Would it help her to come here to vent?

Brenda

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    I think it's appalling that all these "superfine Christians" go far beyond "what is written", and totally cut their own flesh and blood off over something stupid like smoking.

I so agree with you Mary. It's possible, I suppose, that her parents were looking for a reason to cut her off, and her son gave them one, but it's a pathetic reason, just the same. I thought agape love, which these people claim to have in abundance, was supposed to overlook the failings of others. Obviously, they don't see it that way.

Linda

• carla
    carla

How typical from what other ex jw's report! They give a fine 'witness' don't they? Because as you retell the story, so do I, and then my friends and relatives. Word of mouth! As for smoking, aren't all things lawful but not profitable? It's not what goes into the mouth (or body) but what comes out? Yes, smoking is a bad habit but if relatives smoke it can also be a teaching moment for the kids. I guess they would rather be around pedophiles than smokers.

• hambeak
    hambeak

That is so typical of those morons! It's good she has you for a friend. I also get a pit in my gut when I hear about this crappy treatment all because of a few men at the top of the sh*t pile say to behave this way! No scriptural basis whatsoever! Her son must be a creep. Just my 5 cents

• acadian
    acadian

Hi mary,

she's promised that she will not smoke in front of them.
    What about the rest of the world that smoke? Are they going to cover their eyes every time some one is doing something they don't like or agree with? Pretty sad indeed... Those of us that are out, are the lucky ones. I feel for any who are still in. (and still have an honest heart) The damage their doing to their families is a terrible thing. Peace
    Acadian

• Scully
    Scully

Same stupid bull$h!t takes place with my JW relatives too. My siblings who never got baptized can smoke, drink, fornicate and be jobless bums, and they're welcome at "family" gatherings that I don't find out about until after the fact.

They only include me in anything when it involves money coming out of my pocket to finance a gift for them.

• Gill
    Gill

I can understand your anger, Mary.

We were walking past my husband's parents' house today with out 7 year old.

Jokingly I said, 'Shall we go and visit Grandma and Grandpa?' Both my husband and daughter gave me a disgusted look.

'Last time they saw me, Mum, my daughter said, they turned their back on me and ignored me when I said 'Hello'. Lets not go and see them!'

True christian love from JWs! And all we did was fade!

Apparantly, 'We;re not 'Spiritual enough', according to my mother in law.

Shame really. And entirely their loss!

• Mary
    Mary

outnfree said: What kind of religion inspires its members to turn upon their own families? Not one. Only cults do. To me, this is now the litmus test: OK to love people even if you dislike/disapprove of their lifestyle=religion. OK to cut people when you dislike/disapprove of their lifestyle=cult. So sorry for your friend, Mary. Would it help her to come here to vent?

I'm workin' on her. She's never been much to get on the computer but I've told her all about JWD and told her it's a great place to vent, get ideas, make friends and a place to uh "keep up with the Organization". As soon as they get a new computer, I'm going to see if I can get her to come on here....

fullofdoubtnow said: I thought agape love, which these people claim to have in abundance, was supposed to overlook the failings of others.

Not in this cult.....there's about as much love and forgiveness as what there was in the Nazi Party.

Mouthy said: Love you Mary, love your new picture (((((HUGS))))

Thanks Grace.

carla said: As for smoking, aren't all things lawful but not profitable? It's not what goes into the mouth (or body) but what comes out? Yes, smoking is a bad habit but if relatives smoke it can also be a teaching moment for the kids. I guess they would rather be around pedophiles than smokers.

You got it. That scumbag brother in Kitchener, Ontario who was recently charged with molesting a girl while out in Service will no doubt receive the full support of the congregation, while others, like my friend are shunned for smoking. Yes everyone knows smoking is bad for you, but how is that any different than purposely going and getting a job which increases your risk of getting lung cancer or asbestos contamination, which, BTW, my girlfriends' son did? The whole thing is just bullshit.

I forgot to mention she did something else unforgiveable yesterday. She was wearing a poppy for Remembrance Day today and her Elder son saw it and was pissed off. Ya, imagine showing respect for those who fought and died so that we could enjoy religious freedom??? That must rank right up there with what Judas Iscariot did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit