Do you regret disowning your former religion?

by JH 15 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Before converting to the JW religion, I was Catholic.

The JW's made me write to the Catholic church and tell them that I found the truth in the JW's, and that I didn't want to be a Catholic anymore. I guess that most of us had to do this.

I remember writting a letter to the Catholic chruch and stating verses why I thought they were wrong and why the JW's were right.

Maybe I should write another letter to that Catholic church and tell them that I made a mistake and that both religions are full of sh*t.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I didn't really have a religion to disown, but I don't regret disowning the wts. I rue the day I ever joined them. My boyfriend was a member of the Baptist church in his teens. Although he hadn't been for around 15 years before becoming a jw, they told him to write a resignation letter before he could be baptised. He has no regrets over leaving the baptists or the jws.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Like FODN, I did not have a religion before the cult. I was baptized a catholic as a baby, but only on the insistence of a grandmother, and nobody ever attended the church except her. Unless you were apologizing to the Catholic Church, why would they want another letter that said "OH, I didn't mean what I said years ago. You guys are still full of crap, but so was the religion I left you for." ? Kind of a waste of your energy.

• Xnived Shadow
    Xnived Shadow

Man that was funny " Maybe I should write another letter to that Catholic church and tell them that I made a mistake and that both religions are full of sh*t." I think you should write one. Question though if our relationship with Jehovah is our own why do we need to send letters to people who dont matter? Sometimes I regret leaving the ORG because maybe my life would be nicer. Hey its like Cypher said in the matrix ignorance is bliss but i know it isnt true but man its tempting sometimes.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Before being dragged into forced JW membership in my early teens, I was a happy little pagan. Now I'm a happy pagan again, but unfortunately, no longer as little!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    The JW's made me write to the Catholic church and tell them that I found the truth in the JW's, and that I didn't want to be a Catholic anymore. I guess that most of us had to do this.

They did that with my mother too. In fact, they wrote the letter and just had her sign it. I never wrote the Catholic church a letter when I joined the JWs.

W

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i've only ever disowned one religion. or perhaps "transcended my previous state of consciousness".

and how could i ever regret such a thing? it's a natural evolution when one embraces the natural.

peace,

tetra

• Golf
    Golf

No regrets, disappointment, yes!

Golf

• juni
    juni

I was a good little dub and wrote my letter to the Methodist Church. They were real nice about it and wished me well.

No. I wouldn't go backwards in my life. The Methodist church we belonged to was always asking for money, but they did have a beautiful pipe organ and fantastic Christmas and holiday programs and a beautiful singing choir. I helped teach Sunday school and remember helping the kids prepare for these holidays which was fun.

But there was no spiritual fulfillment found there for me and my husband. And not much Bible teaching.

That is what attracted us to the JWs - the fact that they weren't asking for money all of the time and they used the Bible. But once you're sucked in or should I say suckered in it's hard to break away. I truly believed it and was a "good" little robot.

Juni

• james_woods
    james_woods

Do you know the really funny thing about this? I'll just bet that most normal religions whould be more than happy to have you back even if you did write them a parting letter.

They would probably just assume that you were being influenced by an evil cult, or maybe were just having a bad hair day.

Only a JW, or maybe a Mormon or other such, are in such a fatalistic mind-set.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit