What scriptures will you NEVER hear a Witness use?

by gordon d 52 Replies latest jw friends

• gordon d
    gordon d

What scripture will probably NEVER be read in the KH or quoted in the Watchtower? For obvious reasons!

I'll start with Honesty's contribution:
    Deuteronomy 18:21-22 (NIV)

"How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the LORD?" If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the LORD does not take place or come true, that is a message the LORD has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

1 Peter 3:18-20

18 Why, even Christ died once for all time concerning sins, a righteous [person] for unrighteous ones, that he might lead YOU to God, he being put to death in the flesh, but being made alive in the spirit. 19 In this [state] also he went his way and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who had once been disobedient when the patience of God was waiting in Noah’s days, while the ark was being constructed, in which a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water.

For the most part, JWs will avoid discussion of verses 19 and 20. They use verse 18 and ignore the rest.

W

• Will Power
    Will Power

Luke 17:20-23 The Coming of the Kingdom of God 20Once, having been asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, "The kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, 21nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within[a] you." 22Then he said to his disciples, "The time is coming when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, but you will not see it. 23Men will tell you, 'There he is!' or 'Here he is!' Do not go running off after them. Luke 21:8 8He replied: "Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am he,' and, 'The time is near.' Do not follow them.

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

1john 4-1,

Do not believe every inspired expression but go check see whether they originate from God .

KT

• sir82
    sir82

2 Corinthinthians 2:6: "This rebuke given by the majority is sufficient for such a man."

I.e., even though the sinner from 1 Corinthians chapter 5 was disfellowshipped, not everyone shunned him. Paul did not condemn, or order the disfellowshipping of, the minority that did not shun him.

As I recall, 2 Corinthinthians 2:6 is not even one of the scriptures cited in the WT index. 75 years (since 1930, the beginning point of the index), hundreds of thousands of pages written, and not one reference in the Index (or one or 2 at most).

• StillGroggy
    StillGroggy

That's the gotcha kaytee, they use that scripture, but where do they have you check???

WT Library

• Mary
    Mary

1 Corinthians 15: 42 - 49: "... The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being"; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit. The spiritual did not come first, but the natural, and after that the spiritual. The first man was of the dust of the earth, the second man from heaven. As was the earthly man, so are those who are of the earth; and as is the man from heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. And just as we have borne the likeness of the earthly man, so shall we bear the likeness of the man from heaven.

• gordon d
    gordon d

DAMN!!!! You guys ROCK!!! Keep em' coming, I'm taking notes!

Hi Mary... Been praying for you, your folks, and your friend. Hope your day's are brighter and that your Mom's feeling better!

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Eph. 4:11 : "And he gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangalizers, some as shepherds and teachers,"

They use this scripture but completely ignore what it says... If we have shepherds and teachers, where are the prophets? And why are only 'some' given as evangalizers, and yet all JWs learn that they must preach, because the bible says so. Um, no... that's not what the bible says....

GGG

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Matthew 24:4- And in answer Jesus said to them: "Look out that nobody misleads YOU;

Mark 13:5- So Jesus started to say to them: "Look out that nobody misleads YOU.

Luke 21:8- He said: "Look out that YOU are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The due time has approached.’ Do not go after them.

These are skipped over. That last one at Luke would not sit well for most JW's. I tried to discuss these scriptures
    with 2 elders when I resigned, but [I am motioning that it went over their heads] they didn't really get it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit