Proir to th Donation Arrangement

by concerbedbf 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• concerbedbf
    concerbedbf

Prior to the donation arrangement, what was their mode of operation. Since my girlfirend emphatically denies that they have ever sold their publication and are not door to door saleman, Im wondering how this was done?

If a pioneer was at you door trying to give you a magazine, did he ask for money?

IF you were a study was there a set amount you owed for the magazines and other publications you recieved.

Is there any pictures of magazines/books with a price printed on them, or an order form prices.

Ive tried to explain the swaggert aspect but of course, it just some apostate fraud from the internet.

• FreeChick
    FreeChick

I remember when I was really young we asked for a .10 contribution to pay for the printing costs for the awake and then it went up at some point but I can't remember to how much. But we asked for specific contributions for everything. There were set prices, but then we had to pay at the book counter to get them to place in service. There used to be a little chart with the items and their corresponding prices or "contributions" it was printed up and by the the monthly time cards and invitations. Actually we were encouraged to never give away the literature unless we felt someone was truly interested.

I think it was in the late 80's that they went to donations. It was weird to go and get the magazines and not pay after all those years.

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

Pioneers were able to get their literature at a discount. While I payed .25 cents per mag I mean rag they only payed .20 Same thing with books and brochures

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

And don't forget, the "donation" arrangement, which was "Jehovah's way to show how separate we are from Babylon the Great", only came into effect in each country as the countries tax regime changed.

For Instance, the donation arrangement was only installed in Australia in around 2000 or 2001 when the GST laws were brought in.

In Germany it was in the mid-90's when the Finanzamt there started looking more closely into the tax-dodging activities of the Watchtower Society. I believe the German Watchtower was forced to pay a huge tax assessment for all the MwST (consumer tax) that should have been paid on assembly food.

And right at this very same time "Jehovah" decided we needed to be separate from B the G and made all literature "free" on a donation basis.

You want the truth about the JW's??? Follow the money trail!

Pope

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Prior to the donation arrangement coming in around 1992/93, we sold the mags for 15 pence each in the UK.

• Gill
    Gill

Ah Yes! I remember it well!

'30p for the two if you'd like to read them!'

Was it 75p for the small books, and 20p for booklets and four quid for a bible and just for the printing cost as' we're a non prophet, sorry non profit organization'.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Yes Gill, I remember those prices well. Can you remember when it was 15p per mag, but 25p for the two? That used to confuse people!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

The donation arrangement started in the USA due to some issue with tax and charitable status. It came to Britain later, on Jan 1st 1993 (I was on Literature at the time).

At that point we were charging 15p/magazine or 25p for two. Small books were £1 and the larger books (e.g. the Blue "Creation" book) were £2. Larger items could pretty much only be picked up from the literature counter, though sometimes bibles were sold. I forget the range of prices for those, as we were only supposed to "place" the cheaper hardback ones. The "delux" leatherbacked ones were about £5.25, as I recall. Insight volumes were about £10.

One of the hoohars surrounding the change to "donations" was that the Pioneers would no longer earn a profit because of the discount they had previously enjoyed, while being expected to charge at the full rate. It was one of the few perks of the job. I never really turned a profit when I was Pioneering, as I tended to give away a fair bit of literature, as it was offset by the "earnings". It ws hardly a big deal, to be honest, though for some Pioneers with large "routes" of maybe 1000 magazines, they could be turning a profit of £90/month, which often paid the fuel costs for the car.

This was all just to cover the cost of printing, of course, but selling is exactly what we were doing.

I recall a visit to Africa, in I think 1999 or thereabouts. My [ex]wife and I were delegates at the International Convention in Nairobi and helped with the literature. We were charging people 50 Kenyan Shillings (equivalent to 50p / $1 / a day wage for many) for the paperback book that was released. Some of these people couldn't affford shoes, yet we were merrily set to the task of charging them. I understand that more recently they finally changed this arrangement.

• Clam
    Clam

Oh yes, we used to buy the books and sell them. Something that now reminds me of network marketing. But it had to change, and all of the pompous anti donation rhetoric was consigned to history. . .

The California Board of Equalization wanted to assess sales tax on the sale of books, tapes and other items by the Jimmy Swaggart ministry. The WTS filed amicuscuriae (a friend of the court legal brief) in support of Swaggart’s stance that a religious organization should be exempt from such taxation. (The WTS considers all other religions to be under the influence of the devil, but in this case it joined hands with the devil!). On January 17, 1990 the Supreme Court in California Board of Equalization vs. Jimmy Swaggart Ministries ruled against Swaggart.
    One month after the Supreme Court ruling the WTS announced a new policy—that in the USA its literature which was heretofore sold at a fixed price should be offered free to the public and a donation solicited.

The WTS introduced this new donations policy evidently to avoid tax on the sale of its publications. Asking for donations – something condemned for a century – had become acceptable.

Source - http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/index.php/watchtower-money/watchtower-society-and-donations/

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

If I remember correctly, 1991 was when they stopped charging for literature. Prices I remember are...

$0.50 for a Watchtower and its companion Awake Magazine

For the longest time small 100-something books was $1.00, but they might have been $2.00 just prior to them cutting off charging for them.

Wasn't the Live Forever Book and Evolution book $2.50?

A hard bound regular sized Bible was $5.00.

A leather bound regular sized Bible was $8.00.

Bound Volumes of Watchtower or Awake might have been about $12.00.

The VHS video about the Watchtower printing facilities was either $18.00 or $20.00. I went against Watchtower's orders and copied it from somebody else's.

OH YES, THEY SOLD THEIR LITERATURE. NOTHING WAS WITHOUT COST IN THOSE DAYS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit