Breaking it to my grandparents

by AirDuster 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mama bear
    mama bear

----->>>Hi: Are you baptized? If so, will your grandparents turn you in to the elders? This could leave you out in the cold in more ways then one. If you do want to go ahead and tell them how you feel, keep to one of two topics and avoid getting confentational. <<<-------

One other thing to bear in mind, depending on the status of your grandfather, whether he himself is an elder, serves on the body, etc, there may be an effort made to meet with you to 'encourage' you to rethink your choices. During this meeting, while their goal is to 'correct' your thinking, they will be collecting 'evidence' of your degree of 'standing off, away from' which may be used if they find and agree that your presence in the congregation may pose a threat. First and foremost, they will want to meet with you to dissuade you from departing. Failing that effort however their next line of reasoning is to build a case for cutting you off from the congregation, even though you are not baptised! We've all heard those wonderful annoucements...'so and so is no longer a publisher' which is 'truthspeak' for 'they are not baptised so we cannot disfellowship but they have engaged in activities that were they baptised they would be removed so treat them as though they have'. That's the time when the teen in the audience whose name has just been spoken over the p.a. system wishes they would have simply 'marked' them instead of blown them out of the circle of 'friends'.

I hope things go well with you and that the wonderful and warm suggestions posted here from others have provided you with some food for thought. In all that you do...remember, God and the Organization are not synonymous...you can love ONE without allegience/affliation to/with the other.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Airduster,

Here are a few things you could tell them about. It is from a old thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/122192/2158934/post.ashx#2158934

Keep us posted. And good luck!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• AirDuster
    AirDuster

Thanks for the responses everyone. I brought up the 587/607bce issue up to them, showing them the bible chronology of the rules of the kings that goes from 539 to 587. They understood it I think but assured me that even if that isn't correct that it shouldn't matter anyways because I need to dedicate myself to Jehovah not to an organization. He said it shouldn't matter what happens in the organization because it's imperfect and people make mistakes but they've got things the MOST right. Then he turned around and said thats why we need to stay in the organization if we want to truly worship God.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

If it is about serving God, then thats what it is about. If it is about being in an organization, that is a whole other thing. Ask your grandparents whether they want a person sitting next to them that has a total lack of respect for the organization and little respect for many of their doctrinal teachings and no respect for those who honor a lying organization more than the actual truth or if they would rather come home to a grandchild who, loving and respecting them, was honoring his conscience, being a decent human being and serving God the best way that he understands.

Unfortunately, I think they would prefer you to worship the Watchtower B$T$.

• gordon d
    gordon d

****but they've got things the MOST right. Then he turned around and said thats why we need to stay in the organization if we want to truly worship God.****

DAMNIT Airduster!!!!

You need to warn people before you post crap like that! ....... Does anyone here know how to get puke out of a keyboard?????

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Oh man...

That reminds me of my own situation. I don't live with my grandparents, but my grandpa is very proud of me and I regard him as my mentor. I can live with disappointing my father, but disappointing my grandpa, that's one that that sort of stays my hand...I would never want to do that.

Don't become the "evil apostate" just yet. It's hard, I should know, because I am an MS and I have to rock a mask every time I step into that hall. But don't leave until you could survive without them.

• AirDuster
    AirDuster

It's a huge deal, I know. It's not fair to me or my "worldly" associates though to go on living a lie that for a year now I've no longer wanted to live. People who never grew up around the organization just don't understand how big a deal it is to tell your guardians that you don't believe that it's the true religion.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Mate I reckon just tell 'em. Grandparents in my opinion have very large hearts, and I think they would respect you for your being honest with them by telling them how you feel.

Tell them that the doubts are eating away at your soul and now you have to stand up and say how you really feel.

And tell them you love them and that they are the best grandparents anyone could ever have.

Pope

• FreeChick
    FreeChick

Hey AirDuster,

These major life decisions can sure be difficult. But, it does sound as if you are fairly set on letting your grandparents know your feelings. May I suggest that you wait until you are between semesters or quarters at school? I would hate to see your classes get sidelined right in the middle of a term if things don't go well.

I wish you all the best...

FreeChick

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Hi Airduster. Probably a bit late for you but... the big issues for me are their protection of child abusers, the anomalies in their concept of resurrection, their murderous blood policy, and their insistence that jehovah is going to kill every man, woman and infant who isn't a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit