10/1 WT: Creative days = 7,000 years

by Seeker 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Moxy
    Moxy

no, sorry. i dont get it. youre reading to much into this. yes, the author is confirming the WTs genesis chronology. we KNOW thats not going anywhere soon. yes, you do the math and since the end is perpetually 'very soon' you are left with a seventh day of ABOUT but MORE than 7000 years unless adam had a really long bachelorhood. ok, so theres nothing to say that the 7th day was exactly 7000 years and nothing to say that every creative day was the same length as the 7th. you will never hear that idea mentioned again in print, ever. im quite sure of that. if you really think this a fall-back on the 7000-yr idea, youre gonna have to walk me thru it.

amazing: the author's not trying to fudge with the genesis chronology by same 'SOME 7000 years.' he just liked the sound of that better than '7087 years' or whatever. you think these WT authors are in any position to start introducing new doctrine off the cuff?

dins: dinosaurs are usually mentioning speculatively as being part of the 'great sea creatures' of gen 1:21 in the 5th day. of course this creates problems with the old 7000-yr teaching under discussion and even the modern 'thousands of years' is extremely misleading but the dinosaurs are hardly ever mentioned to avoid this problem. it wouldnt surprise me that there are witnesses that think the society teaches the dinosaurs never existed at all. they really dont mention it much.

mox

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

About three years ago I listened to the Public Talk 'The Flood of Noah's Day has meaning for you!'

Going a bit astray from his outline, the speaker stated that while many evolutionists claim the dinosaurs died out millions of years ago we of course knew that - and I quote - "they died out in the flood."

I'm not kidding, I had to pinch my leg real hard to stop myself from belly-laughing!

I approached him after the meeting and told him 'how much I'd enjoyed his talk [!] and which references did he use re the dinosaurs dying in the flood'?
    He said that he couldn't remember but that he knew he'd read it in the Society's literature somewhere.

Well I didn't want to argue with him and a queue was developing for the ritual 'public speaker back slapping' so I let him go.

But this bugged me.
    We all know the Society has never claimed that T Rex and his buddies were wiped out in the flood and yet this has developed into quite common currency among the JW masses.

A few weeks after the talk I was having a pint [Caffrey's] down the pub with my brother-in-law elder and related this whole experience to him.

His response?

"But the dinosaurs DID die out in the flood"

I give up[8>]

Nic'
    ____________________________________________________________________________

Protect your family, friends and neighbours from the misery and heartache that comes from Watchtower association.
    The first line of defence against Jehovah's Witnesses is to stop them calling!

http://www.do-not-call.org

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Yeah, I've had a coupel of people tell me they were too big to get on the Ark! The mind boggles.

• Moxy
    Moxy

lol @ nic. had u mentioned this before sometime? sounds familiar.

they actually DID teach this at one time, i think more as just a carry-over from general creationist ideas. in fact if you can find an original edition bible story book, theres a priceless picture in the flood story with what looks like a T Rex pokin his head out of the water. in fact, now that i think about it, i have never seen this scan on the any of the xjw websites. does anybody have this or at least remember it?

mox

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Noah left behind the dinosaurs, unicorns and the Loch Ness monster. Some think it was because the dinosaurs were too big which is not true as the ark was about twice the size of a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier. The real reason is Noah got drunk and forgot about them.

Fortunately, nessie survived and her descendants are still periodically seen by Noah's descendants usually after imbibing Noah's favorite tipple.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• blondie
    blondie

Dinosaur comments = the Bible doesn't say but that doesn't stop the WTS from having an "opinion."

*** g90 2/8 11 What Happened to the Dinosaurs? ***
    When the dinosaurs had fulfilled their purpose, God ended their life. But the Bible is silent on how he did that or when. We can be sure that dinosaurs were created by Jehovah for a purpose, even if we do not fully understand that purpose at this time.

*** w73 7/15 447 Questions from Readers ***
     When did God create dinosaurs, and when did they become extinct?—U.S.A.
    The Bible does not provide specific answers to this question. According to the Genesis account, animals were created during the fifth and sixth creative periods or ‘days.’ If the Hebrew expression translated “great sea monsters” [Hebrew, tan·ni·nim'] includes dinosaurs, which often inhabited swampy, watery areas, this would mean that dinosaurs were created on the fifth “day.” (Gen. 1:21) We do not know whether they continued to exist until man was created (toward the close of the sixth “day”). At the very latest it seems likely that they must have disappeared off the earth at the time of the flood of Noah’s day. Dinosaurs were reptiles, and some kinds of dinosaurs bear strong resemblance structurally and otherwise to lizards (sauros is, in fact, the Greek word for “lizard”; saura in Leviticus 11:29, LXX). Not all types of dinosaurs were of such gigantic size. Hence, even if they had survived till the Flood, this would not have required taking pairs of the mammoth varieties into the ark. Other smaller members of the particular family or “kind” to which these belonged would have sufficed to fulfill the divine command.—Gen. 6:19, 20; 7:14.

• paulvarjak
    paulvarjak

My exwife, a JW pioneer of 15 years, thought that dinosaurs were all a hoax "like the cavemen". She was staunch that they never existed until the 1990 WT came out and she read it from "God's channel".

Try reasoning with a person like that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit