10/1 WT: Creative days = 7,000 years

by Seeker 36 Replies latest jw friends

• comment
    comment

I remember this topic bothering me at one time when I was a Witness. I started digging through the Society's literature, trying to convince myself that they had abandoned the notion.

To the best of my knowledge, the Questions from Readers in the January 1, 1987 Watchtower was the last time they explicitly stated the creative days were 7,000 years in length. That appears below.

At the time, I seem to recall coming across another passage that said the creative days could "even have been millions of years in length," or words to that effect. However, I am now inclined to think that this was wishful thinking on my part, reading more into the Society's words than was justified in order to assuage my concerns. There is a reference to "millenniums" in Chapter 3 of the 1985 Creation book. If anyone can find an instance in which the Society has said "millions," that would be of interest.

comment

Questions From Readers

• In ancient Israel a cycle of 49 years was followed by a Jubilee year (50th year). Does that Jubilee correspond to the period following God's creative week of 49,000 years?

Because the number 49 occurs in both cases, it might seem that the Jubilee would foreshadow the time following the end of a creative week of 49,000 years. But for mankind in general who receive God's approval, what occurred during Israel's Jubilee corresponds more with what will occur during the Millennium, the last thousand years of such creative week, not what follows after that week. Consider the basis for this:

First, the Mosaic Law required that every seventh year be a sabbath for the land; crops were not to be sown, cultivated, or harvested. After the seventh Sabbath year (the 49th year), there came a special Jubilee year, the 50th year. It was a sabbath during which the land was again to rest. More importantly, liberty was proclaimed. Hebrews who had sold themselves into slavery were freed from indebtedness and servitude. Also, hereditary land was returned to families who had been forced to sell it. So the Jubilee was a time of release and restoration for the Israelites.-Leviticus 25:1-46.

Second, a study of the fulfillment of Bible prophecy and of our location in the stream of time strongly indicate that each of the creative days (Genesis, chapter 1) is 7,000 years long. It is understood that Christ's reign of a thousand years will bring to a close God's 7,000-year 'rest day,' the last 'day' of the creative week. (Revelation 20:6; Genesis 2:2, 3) Based on this reasoning, the entire creative week would be 49,000 years long.

Noting the similarity in numbers, some have compared the 49 years of the ancient Jubilee cycle to such 49,000 years of the creative week. Reasoning this way, they have thought that Israel's Jubilee (50th) year should prefigure, or foreshadow, what will come after the end of the creative week.

However, bear in mind that the Jubilee was particularly a year of release and restoration for people. The creative week largely relates to the planet Earth and its development. But with regard to the outworking of God's purpose for man on earth, the globe itself has not been sold into slavery and thus is not in need of liberation. It is mankind that needs that, and humans have existed, not for 49,000 years, but for about 6,000 years. The Bible shows that some time after Adam and Eve were created, they rebelled against God, thus coming into captivity to sin, imperfection, and death. According to Romans 8:20, 21, Jehovah God purposes to liberate believing mankind from this slavery. As a result, true worshipers on earth "will be set free from enslavement to corruption and have the glorious freedom of the children of God."-See also Romans 6:23.

While the small group selected to be taken to heaven have had their sins forgiven from Pentecost 33 C.E. onward and thus already enjoy the Jubilee, the Scriptures show that the liberation for believing mankind will occur during Christ's Millennial Reign. That will be when he applies to mankind the benefits of his ransom sacrifice. By the end of the Millennium, mankind will have been raised to human perfection, completely free from inherited sin and death. Having thus brought to an end the last enemy (death passed on from Adam), Christ will hand the Kingdom back to his Father at the end of the 49,000-year creative week.-1 Corinthians 15:24-26.

Consequently, for believing mankind with earthly prospects, the liberation and restoration that marked the Jubilee year in ancient Israel will find a fitting parallel during the coming Millennial Sabbath. Then liberation and restoration will be experienced. That will be under Christ's rulership, "for Lord of the sabbath is what the Son of man is."-Matthew 12:8.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    This shows that when Paul wrote those words, "the seventh day" of God's rest, which had started some 4,000 years earlier, was still in progress. It will not end until God's purpose regarding mankind and the earth is completely fulfilled at the end of the Thousand Year Reign of Jesus Christ, who is the "Lord of the sabbath.

I would suggest there's an even greater problem inherent in this statement. You are quite right to highlight the 7,000 years for the Sabbath Day. You may recall that this was what caused the high expectation amongst the Witness community prior to 1975. It went something like this: After creating Eve, God rested from all his creative works, i.e. entered into a sabbath. It was believed by Fred Franz and taught in his book "Life Everlasting - In Freedom of the Sons of God" that it would be "appropriate" for the earth to be restored to an Edenic paradise by the end of the Millenium which also coincides with the final 1,000 years of the seventh "day". Since it was calculated that Adam was created in 4026 BCE then, by deduction, the year 1975 CE would be a "very interesting year". Of course, it was never calculated when Eve was created, so completing the sixth creative day, but it was considered that Adam was alone for only a short time, maybe months. Hence the expectation of 1975 built to a fever pitch.

Of course, this is highly discredited theology, even within the Witness community.

To see it in print once again shows what a short memory the R&F have. Or do they? We shall see.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Seeker,

I wish to congratulate you, for this

one! It is a " real pearl " !

Thanks to Comment, AlanF, Farkel (nice to have you...
    after very sad moments) and Ozziepost for the reasoning
    on the topic and the quotes.

Good point from lisaBObeesa, ...I'll make some research
    on it.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• ballistic
    ballistic
    After creating Eve, God rested from all his creative works, i.e. entered into a sabbath. It was believed by Fred Franz and taught in his book "Life Everlasting - In Freedom of the Sons of God" that it would be "appropriate" for the earth to be restored to an Edenic paradise by the end of the Millenium which also coincides with the final 1,000 years of the seventh "day". Since it was calculated that Adam was created in 4026 BCE then, by deduction, the year 1975 CE would be a "very interesting year"

The witnesses have always supported the view that "no one knows the day or the hour", so how could they have EVER possibly condoned trying to work it out? Surely if the time of the end was based on ANY MATHEMATICAL PRINCIPLE WHATSOEVER, the devil and the demons could have worked out the exact date of the end milleniums ago.

My point is that while the JWs have been pre-occupied with fortelling the time of the end, there can (and must) be no mathematical basis for the date of armaggedon for the aforesaid reason.

• logical
    logical
    "the seventh day" of God's rest, which had started some 4,000 years earlier, was still in progress. It will not end until God's purpose regarding mankind and the earth is completely fulfilled at the end of the Thousand Year Reign of Jesus Christ, who is the "Lord of the sabbath."

Sorry... but nothing in that quote implies to me that the "sabbath" day is 7000 years old. It merely states it had started some 4,000 years earlier and will end after the 1000 year reign.

Just playing devils advocate.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi all,
    Heretofore, it appeared that sometime after the 1975 debacle, the WT writers dropped all references to a 7,000-year cretive day, apparently because the non-eventuation of the Big A anywhere near 1975 discredited the concept.
    It's remarkable how they can count on the quiescence of the rank-and-file not to protest or ask too many embarassing questions even whey the FDS suddenly distances itself from what had been a cornerstone teaching in its chronology. ``Just stop mentioning it and the friends will forget it,'' seems to have been the thinking.
    And they don't have contempt for your intelligence, right?

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Logical,

Sorry... but nothing in that quote implies to me that the "sabbath" day is 7000 years old. It merely states it had started some 4,000 years earlier and will end after the 1000 year reign.

True, but it is there by implication and JWs are used to the 7000 year creative day idea and they like round numbers. According to their doctrine the sixth day did not end until the creation of Eve. It is not known how long after Adam, Eve was supposed to have been formed from a rib (Chromosomal additions not explained) so the 6000 years of the seventh creation day may not have elapsed.

While the creative day may be 8000 years long the number 8 doesn't have the holiness factor of 7. And while a creative day may be 7123 years long it doesn't tie in with round numbers like 144,000. If it were a number that could be produced by multiples of 7 that would be OK too. Therefore, one could suggest that:

Holy, holy, holy is Jehovah = 3 x a Jubilee, 49 (7x7) of jubilees is:

3 x 49 x 49 = 7,203 years.

Hence the millenium will begin 6,203 years after the creation of Eve or sometime afte 2178 AD. This means there is plenty of time left to do more preaching.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• logical
    logical

All this playing around with numbers is stupid.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Logical,

All this playing around with numbers is stupid.

Of course it is. You can string numbers together to make anything you like. Read any WTS prophecy interpretation book and you'll see plenty of mathematical and mental gymnastics used to get Biblical numbers to mean year numbers of the Gregorian calendar. Not that they are alone in this. Look at the "end time" prediction books in the relgion section of a good book store and you will find the same.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• Seeker
    Seeker

Thanks for the responses.

I should have clarified one thing: the WTS does say that Gen. 1:1 comes before the creative days, and thus it was rightly pointed out that they believe the earth itself could be millions or billions of years old. However, everything else, including geologic elements mentioned in the creative days (let alone the concept of "light"), all happened in the past 48,000 years. Including all life on earth. Such as the dinosaurs... Actually, the WTS has now just indicated a belief that dinosaurs were on the earth within the last 13,000 years (6th creative day, and all)!

Logical, the implication for 7,000 is there. If in Paul's day 4,000 years had gone by already, and we are roughly 2,000 years past that, and we include the 1,000-year reign, and JWs expect Armageddon "any day now", you are left with 7,000 total, give or take a few years.

Is it silly to talk about? Sure, but they are the ones talking about it. All those JWs who have taken courses in college on geology or biology are going to shake their heads when they read this. Or if they skip right over it, we can point it out to them and there isn't anything they can say against it. After all, it's "fresh light."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit