10/1 WT: Creative days = 7,000 years

by Seeker 36 Replies latest jw friends

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

where in the bible does it say that eve was created before the sabath? the first sabath was in Gen 1. adam and eve were both created in ch 2. why must we assume this is a retelling of the same storey? doesn't interpretation belong to God? if so, where does the bible itself say it is the same storey twice?

• Farkel
    Farkel

ballistic,

: The witnesses have always supported the view that "no one knows the day or the hour", so how could they have EVER possibly condoned trying to work it out?

During their "1975 campaign" they stated in the print after quoting that verse that now is not the time to be toying with what Jesus meant by those words.

In otherwords, "Jesus didn't know what-in-the-hell He was talking about, but we know what we are talking about."

I can dig out the exact quote and reference if you'd like.

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

I think someone needs to wake God up from his rest.
    While he's oversleeping all hell is taking place on his precious earth!!
    Ranchette

• Moxy
    Moxy

i beg to differ

while i agree that the WT has not officially rescinded the 7000-yr creative day teaching, i do not find an implicit reiteration of the teaching in this short paragraph. it merely confirms the WT chronology of adam's creation being about 4000b.c.e. i would be amazed to ever see another mention, implicit or otherwise, of the 7x7000yr creative period in any WT publication ever again.

mox

• Seeker
    Seeker

Moxy,

I'd be curious to hear an alternative explanation of that paragraph. I don't see how they can get around their own numbers. They not only stated when the seventh creative day began, they also stated when it will end. According to their own theology, that adds up to 7,000 years. Yes, it's implicit, not explicit, but it is there. If I were to show this to a JW, and do the math for them, what other explanation could they come up with?

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

seeker

its the WT's way of stirring the troops to action; the end of 7000 yrs could be any day now.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Excellent Seeker! Thanks for bringing out this new Watchtower. I must point out some very important math here:

The Society use to hold strongly to the Creation of Adam as 4026 BCE. and how the end of 6000 years would be 1975! and the beginning of the 7th Creative day of the 1000 year rule of Jehovah's Kingdom.

But, this article engages in some interesting "slight of hand" in this way. By saying that when Paul wrote, the creative day had begun "some 4000 years" earlier, they are making the start date for Adam's creaton "FUZZY LIGHT" that can grow Brighter!

How? Because of this indeterminate "some 4000 years" earlier, they can start to manipulate the actual start date, say for example, they calcualte that Adam was created 3915 years BCE. This still fits the definition of "some 4000 years" and will allow them to move the end of "6000 years" to 2014.

I do not think they will necessarily saying anything about the Great Tribulaton and Armageddon happening on or before 2014, but they will simply leave the implication alone and let JWs develope a new sense of urgency. Then, once 2014 comes and goes, they can always say that they never said anything.

I could be in error and speculating too much about what the WTS might do. But, I certainly see the potential for them to move matters in that direction. - Amazing

• Trilobite
    Trilobite

Seeker,

Of course you are exactly correct. The WTS's own chronology definitely implies that the Society has run out of time. If the 7th Creative Day includes the Millennium then the period we are in must be razor thin.

These days JWs are so confused that, likely, few will recognize that the Society is engaging in its usual deception. Some older JWs will no doubt read it as you have described. Since the Creative Day (CD) = 7000 years teaching has not officially been rescinded, but has merely fallen into intentional disuse, then most older ones presumably still believe that. However, they have been trained out of stating bluntly that a CD = 7000 years. When they hear people say that a CD is "thousands of years long" they may take that to mean 7000 years, but they also recognize, perhaps subconciously that currently acceptable Theocratese forbids them from saying so. Again, they demonstrate their ability to hold two logically contradictory thoughts at the same time.

Newer ones will likely read see these words as general confirmation that we are "in the last days of the last days" without making the explicit connection to the previous, and more concrete, CD teaching. Thus, both groups go away encouraged. As usual the WTS is talking out of all four sides of its mouth.

T.

• dins
    dins

I found this post really interesting because for years I have been trying to figure out this one and it always seems to change.

I would like to know what the JWs stance is on the dinosaurs etc, since every time I ask someone in my family, they are very vague, even denying the EXISTENCE of them at times. Seems like the society discredits the scientists they don't WANT to believe on this one (which is the majority)and as I can remember, flatly stated that they were wrong.

Why has the society always been so hung up on dates?? I remember 1975 even though I was only six, but I do remember the anxiety and almost the elation that they JWs had that year....and then the let down afterwards.

Think they would have learned their lesson...

Di

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Di and Welcome 'aboard',

Why has the society always been so hung up on dates??

'cos without it, the whole pack of cards falls down. Without dates there's no urgency to 'mould' and unify the troops into a common effort. Without that there's a reduced authority to rule the R&F through the fear of DF before Armageddon. Without dates the identity of the F&DS is lost. Without dates the identity of the Great Crowd is lost. Without dates the pouring out of the seven bowls is lost.

Need I go on. Dates are the essential 'raison d'etre' of the Watchtower organisation.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit