Called for Jury Duty

by frankiespeakin 22 Replies latest jw friends

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I'm what you would call a unpatriotic, and a free thinker who doesn't agree with the judicial system in California. I've been called for JD about six or more times and every time they never use me because I make it very plain that I don't and won't play be thier rules when it comes to JD. Usually I'm the first one the prosecutor dismisses because of my free thinking unpatriotic point of views that I make known as soon as I can.

I think our prisons are over crowded because of the states eagerness to inprision people, for things that I can never agree with. Things that should be left up to personal right to chose and not the state's right to interfear with.

What are your feelings should a person be penalized if they just fail to show up for jury duty, or should they just look for people that feel it is thier civic duty, and volunteer?

• Warlock
    Warlock

I think the person who wants to serve, should and those who don't want to, shouldn't.

No matter what, I think being truthful, as you were, is a good thing, because I feel being on a jury is no laughing matter.

Warlock

• hambeak
    hambeak

I served on a jury in a felony case in Santa Rosa CA. it was interesting but boring. True it is totally inconvenient but that is the price of citizenship. just my 2cents

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Six or more times? Yeesh. Do you have to take a day off for that?
    Perhaps there should be a limit on the number of times they can harrass you for this in a given time period.

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

If it can be done without getting a contempt of court citation, just mention the FIJA ( http://www.fija.org/ ) and your belief that a jury also has the legal choice to find the law improper and invalid. If the charges in the case are for a victimless crime, then the prosecutor will probably want you off the case and far away from the courthouse as soon as possible.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Maybe they'll stop calling you if your comments are less appealing to the Defense side as well as the Crown. :O)

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think our prisons are over crowded because of the states eagerness to inprision people, for things that I can never agree with. Things that should be left up to personal right to chose and not the state's right to interfear with.

I agree with you. Budwisser and Jim Beam dont want people getting high on grass they want them getting drunk on alcohol.

I've only been called for jury duty one time and it wasnt convenient with my schedule, I had to go in on day one but during the voidure, selecting the jury, I told the attorneys, I've been blessed, I can just tell that person is guilty by looking at him, They sent me home before lunch,

• morty
    morty
    Six or more times? Yeesh. Do you have to take a day off for that?

Yeah, you sure do and that's what I think is injustice.......

My hubby was just called for jury duty for the 3rd time and it puts a big screw (for a lack of words) into your own family if they (the jury duty person called) are the bread winner of the family.

I don’t think they ( my hubby) should receive their whole pay for attending if they are indeed chosen as a representative but should be entitled to more then 25-30 bucks a day.

As much as my husband feels he could be and was a good candidate for a certain case he felt more committed to his family. He felt if he did do the case, we would suffer financially.

I believe there would be more candidates stepping up to the plate for cases if only they would provide what they would have lost due to income.

Just my 2 pennies.

• exwitless
    exwitless

I believe there would be more candidates stepping up to the plate for cases if only they would provide what they would have lost due to income.

I agree.

However, at risk of sounding too politically correct, I have to disagree with the general negative attitude towards jury duty. I was called this summer for duty; I wasn't picked to serve (wasn't even questioned). However, I was aggravated at the pure drama some of these people displayed in order to "get out of it". Women bursting into tears about how they're so stressed and don't feel well enough to serve, etc. (I know one was an act because I heard her say during a break that she was leaving for vacation soon and wasn't finished packing, so she was going to say whatever she needed to to get out of serving.) Yes, it was an inconvenience to drop everything to come downtown for the day for all of us. No doubt, most all of us had plans to do something else with that day had we not been called.

However, I can't help but think, if I were charged with something (whether I felt I was guilty or not) which could end with a jail sentence, I certainly would appreciate a jury of my peers serving who did not attempt to squirm, lie, and struggle to "get out of" listening to my case, but were willing to listen impartially. I would do the same for them.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My JW mom was called for a very long term GRAND jury duty which involved 2 full days 2x a month. It lasted for over 18 mos. (Longer than usual because of an ongoing case that ultimately never was resolved. I don't think you can call it harrassment when you are called for jury duty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit