the walk of shame

by nonamegiven 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nonamegiven
    nonamegiven

It all starts after you hear "these things we pray through Jesus Christ, Amen".

I gather my books and the kid's books and put them away. By that time people are walking over to us and talking to my wife and playing with my kids. They will talk to her about the weather, the meeting, her pregnancy or anything. Do they ask about me? No. Do they talk to me? No. Not only will they not talk to me, they don't even acknowledge my existance with a nod, a smile or even eye contact. See, I'm dead to them. Who are these people? Well, they are ones who claimed to be my best friends, my spiritual brothers, people who loved me, well, only until 3 men judged me as a sinner worthy of death, now I suppose I'm not worthy of even a "hello" from them. Screw 'em. I stay at my seat for a while because with a 2 1/2 year old and a 4 1/2 year old my wife needs help keeping an eye on the kids. After a short while I just can't take it anymore. Thus the walk of shame begins. I navigate my way through the forest of people all the while noticing people....not noticing me (or at least pretending not to). I walk right past a friend of mine who doesn't even look at me even though over the summer we sat on my patio after putting up a fence and shared a six pack and played with my dog. Then there are the elders, the sheppards of the flock that see a sheep having trouble and offer no help, again not even a glance. Then the real hurt and anger hits. I see little kids, most of whom play with my son and daughter. They won't even say hi to me. These are otherwise innocent little kids who know they can't talk to "that man". I get my coat on and walk out the door, I go to the car to sit and stare at the night sky windering if I am indeed the kind of person that deserves this type of treatment.

Thanks for reading, I just needed to vent. It's been about 2 months or so since my DF announcement and it's just getting hard to do the walk of shame 3 times a week.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Bleeding for you.

You must be wanting to be re-instated otherwise you wouldn't bother.

What's your wife's take on it all?

• exwitless
    exwitless

How awful for you. I can just imagine how humiliating that would be. This kind of treatment is not loving, kind, or helpful; as I said, it's humiliating and extremely hurtful. What are your plans? Must you continue to go to all the meetings? Do you want to? I'm sure you're doing a lot of this for your wife, which is commendable. How does she really feel about your being shunned? We feel for you.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Hi noname

I am so sorry that you are going through this I can't even start to understand how tough it must be. When I left, I did so by choice, and had no family in the org. Sure the dubs shun me, but I don't go to the kh to run the gauntlet of their stares.

Are you seeking reinstatement? If so, I suppose you have to endure this treatment for a while yet. If not, then why bother? Just drop your wife at the kh, and pick her up later. Surely the treatment you are getting must resonate with her in some way? How does she feel?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You do not have to view it as a walk of shame.
    It is a temporary inconvienience to acheive your goals.
    You said you want to get reinstated before you fade, so that
    you don't have this DF hanging over you- FINE. Just think of
    how these guys are being duped everytime you show up at the KH.

That will help put a smile on your face. Try to silently add comments
    into the meeting that should be there- like "Oh yeah, Solomon knew
    that you should be faithful to your wife, avoiding the bosom of a foreign
    woman. He had 700 wives, he could sleep with different women everyday."

Or replace the word "Jehovah" with "Governing Body" during a talk,
    then keep a straight face as you walk past the speaker on the way out of the hall.

You can feel pity for the brothers when you realize that they are victims of a cult.
    This will remove your self-pity since you know how to get out.

• Confession
    Confession

I've been there, Noname. As difficult as it was sometimes, I was able not to assign blame to all of my friends who wouldn't speak to me, knowing it was not their self-righteousness--but their enslavement to a legalistic, authoritarian religion--that caused it. And I'd been so enslaved myself.

But this is not a "loving arrangement." This is about showing you (and me) who's boss. This is about intolerance, institutional manipulation, and the most blatant example of what the Watchtower Society itself would term "faultfinding." It is a draconian practice they utilize to demand adherence to their authority, and they dishonestly "twist" what they revere as "God's Word" in order to support it.

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

Although I am DF myself, I've never had to go through what you have. I feel that the whole process is to grind you down and make you so low that you either disappear or if you survive it are so submissive that they have full control over you again...at least for a time. I'm guessing your staying for your family? Its a noble cause, but maybe not one that is true to yourself, only you know the answer to that. I wish you well with your endurance of this situation, please feel free to vent as often as you like, you will find some really kind and compasionate people here, that wont judge you whatever you do.

Take care

CS 101

• james_woods
    james_woods

I have some hard words for you. (even if I do feel for your horrible situation).

a.} Give up on these Witness jerks. They do not care if you live or die. You already said you are sorry about as good as anybody can do.

b.) Give up on your own guilt trip (see suggestion a.))

c.) Take a long hard look at your wife's attitude. Is it possible she is using the congregational shunning to punish you for the past?

d.) Find some outside legitimate support group and get some help now.

I mean it,

best wishes, James

• buriram
    buriram

Sorry to hear that , been there as well, I felt no better than something that some one just stepped on the last time I contact at a meeting

Just being nosy, what were you df/ed for?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I feel for you, Bro', I really do. You have an advantage over me when I was DF'd and still attending, in that you know it's all bullsh*t. I didn't, and so I felt I deserved their treatment of me.

You must know and believe at your core that you DO NOT deserve this treatment. You've done something you regret, it's true. But shunning is an inhumane thing to do to anyone.

That the Bible doesn't support it is obvious from the scriptures they use TO support it. All of the scriptures talk about a person that "IS" a fornicator, drunkard, etc... If you are not actively planning to "sin" again, then you aren't any of those things. You may have done them, but you aren't defined by them.

They take "IS" and expand it to "ever was, and the elders haven't decided to reinstate him yet". Quite a "mistranslation".

THEY should be ashamed, but of course they are proud of their arrogant, disgusting, inhumane actions.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit