Britain Under Surveillance

by daystar 20 Replies latest social current

• *jeremiah*
  • fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

There are cameras everywhere in the UK these days, and I don't see it changing. It doesn't worry me, and as it potentially helps fight or prevent crime, then I'm not against it.

• Mystla
    Mystla

What makes you think it isn't as bad or worse here in the US? Camera's at intersections are becoming more common, most grocery stores have cards you have to use if you want their discounts (you think they don't keep track of what you buy?) The recent phone tap fiasco... try taking airplane flight lately? they didn't do a cavity search on me, but they might as well have. Pick a spot in a city, any spot, and look around carefully.. you'll spot several cameras, and those are just the ones you see.

True privacy is a thing of the past, we gave it up long ago.

Misty

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

all this surveillance is bad. next thing you'll know we'll be getting diebold voting machines. i wonder when i can get my microchip implanted?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Whoever is "ahead" it seems to be a worldwide trend -- and a terribly logical one: the mind's, or mankind's, self-saturation.

Man choking in the ever-thickening network of knowledge, overwhelmed by his own favourite metaphors -- light, transparency, health, clean(li)ness, safety.

An apocalyptic paradise where there will be no more night. Foucault's panopticon become the jailers' jail.

There's no reason to hide: let's make hiding impossible and see what survives under the merciless sun of universal reason.

Darkness has not yet said its last no though.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Didier:
    Oooh, you salacious anarchist, you!

• ballistic
    ballistic

LT, turn that web cam off... and put some clothes on for goodness sake!

• Satanus
    Satanus

One thing people could do is stop using air mile cards and stuff like that. Are those that necessary?

S

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

daystar:

You know, I have nothing to hide either. But just suppose your government decides that something you do, innocently enough to you, is illegal.

That's actually a completely separate issue, although they are inextricably linked in the minds of many people. For example, the government where I live has decided that the innocent activity of smoking marijuana is illegal. If I do this in public, I am far more likely to be caught by a policeman on patrol than by video surveillance. The law is oppressive and should be changed, but that is independent of whether it is enforced primarily by someone walking or driving the streets, or someone in a surveillance command centre.

Real crimes though (such as robbery, murder, rape and assault) are more easily solved with video footage, and cameras may also serve as a deterrent.

What we need to be concerned with is the erosion of liberties, not being under surveillance.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

What we need to be concerned with is the erosion of liberties, not being under surveillance.

so how will the camera surveillance network come into play when we get to the stage when those liberties are totally eroded? when habeas corpus is gone, wouldnt the network be very useful to locate and detain certain people (by using face recognition technology) the government didn't like such as those people concerned about 'liberties'?

its my opinion that the vast majority of people are too stupid or apathetic to realise that the actual tools are being put in place to be used by government in a totalitarian way. people will get what they deserve i guess.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit