JW Weddings

by Jeffro 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

At every JW wedding I ever went to, the celebrant has always said without fail that "the bride and groom have requested that no rice or confetti be thrown".

Is this spiel used everywhere? Is it actually a request of the bride and groom, or is it just bombastically imposed by the elders (i.e. a lie)?

• geevee
    geevee

Hi, It is a bombastic requirement from sister elder who runs the cleaning brigade!!! We wouldn't want to copy the world now would we....Probably a judge ritherford requirement, he was the ultimate party pooper

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

When a friend of mine got married, that's what they did to them. And we had made some of those thingys with bird seed in them. But she was told she couldn't use them. "The elders had decreed this."

And that was 20 years ago.

• Clam
    Clam

It's an official directive from High Command - Daft Rule number 43,331

You cannot throw rice or confetti at weddings (Awake1973 3/8 p.5 Yearbook1986 p.77 WT1986 7/1 p.4)

• dobbie
    dobbie

Yep this was announced at our wedding, but i was originally told we could'nt have confetti as it was pagan, which i found embarrassing on the day as my non jw family brought a load with them and they must have felt really stupid when it was announced. I was married within a yr of being baptised and i didn't have a clue about jw weddings or my family and they received no offers of help even from my husbands jw family. I was also told it would be frowned on if i didn't get married at the k hall (i'd have preferred a registry office) I was also told :

No discos

No barn dance

No alcohol

Not too many non jws or it would be too 'worldly' and the jws would'nt be able to go

The result was a crappy wedding and my dad getting mad about certain things ie blessing over food cos he said HE provided it all not God, and him telling me my wedding was a waste of time and money and he wanted nothing to do with it. I still can't look at my photos now, they are in the attic somewhere!lol

Strange i could have a veil (so long as i didn't put it over my face) and wedding ring but can't have a few bits of paper chucked over my head! (also as i didn't have an evening reception alot of family and friends were'nt invited so that was hard too cos i felt so bad)

• blondie
    blondie

Throwing rice can be a hope that the couple have lots of children...definitely not a JW policy and considered "pagan." I have been to non-JW weddings who make the same request. It seems that rice does not agree with the digestive systems of little birds and it makes a mess.

Blondie

• Clam
    Clam

Dobbie !!

Wedding rings have possible pagan origins." (WT 1/15/1972 p.63)

Clam (keeping his rule book handy).

Seriously Dobbie, that's a real shame about the Dubs souring your wedding.

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev
    Throwing rice can be a hope that the couple have lots of children...definitely not a JW policy and considered "pagan." I have been to non-JW weddings who make the same request. It seems that rice does not agree with the digestive systems of little birds and it makes a mess

I went to a "worldly" wedding a couple months ago, instead of rice they gave everyone bubbles, which probably turned out better in photos!

Maybe the WBTS should change this policy, since the only ones coming into the "truth" are children raised in it!

• blondie
    blondie

I saw a show about weddings where everyone (except small children) were given sparklers to light as the couple went down the path to the vehicle to leave. I guess fireworks displays at wedding receptions are popular too in some areas.

Blondie (are fireworks pagan if not lit on July 4th?)

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The last few that I went to there was the anouncement of "the bride and groom has requested that there will be no clinking of glasses."

That one always drove me crazy. I did not comply with the request.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit