Silencing former Jehovah's Witnesses

by The wanderer 18 Replies latest jw friends

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Howdy, Wanderer! Hooray! ;)

I don't think they CAN "protect the flock" from the truth about the (T)ruth! And I honestly think they are running scared. They are scared much in the same way as any other failing corporation, but theirs goes deeper... because whether they have control issues or not, I do believe that the great majority of the elders and the governing body are SINCERE, and still honestly believe and are still as bamboozled about it being the only way as WE WERE when we were in, so they not only see a failing marketing plan (and marketing share, for that matter,) they see countless souls being lost, and they don't know what to do to fix it.

In a word? They are DESPERATE. And persons with a religious fervor who are frightened and desperate are dangerous individuals.

Seems to me I recall a site owner being forced to take something down and he complied, merely posting links which would take readers to the same information on different sites. (Danny Hazard, was that you? Sorry I can't remember the specifics...) This was a great solution, because the society's legal action was met and hushed, but the point was made that THE INFORMATION IS OUT THERE... AND THEY CAN'T STOP IT. They cannot possibly extend the energy it would take to stop the information like wildfire now. Stomp on a bit of the fire and celebrate... but there are sparks and healthy fires of REAL truth all around them.

Baba.

• Woofer
    Woofer

Just wanted to say welcome back. Glad you didn't stay away for long.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

The internet is the greatest threat the watchtower has faced in years, probably ever, and they can do nothing about it. Just look what jw stuff is available now - elders letters, public talk outlines, the pay attention book. Stuff like that has previously been unattainable for any jws apart from elders. Now anyone can read it, and the wts can do nothing to stop them.

They might stop jws from listening to ex jws, but they can't stop them going online and reading.

• done4good
    done4good

All it takes these days is some circumstance to get someone "away" from the org for a while. They will look into the internet soon enough.

j

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy
    (psst!) Hey, Almost Atheist...didn't he say he was done with the article style format thing?

His style creeps me out like I'm reading wt or awake stuff again.

• Arthur
    Arthur
    I think the internet is going to really make a dent in the people getting into the org. I had an experience showing how the people curious about the JW's may react when they are concidering getting into the religion.

Yes, as it already has. Someone on another thread made a very astute observation. They mentioned that the internet has totally revolutionized the way we live; that virtually no one makes major decisions anymore without doing research on the internet. This includes new cars, moving to a new city, making investments, obtaining a mortgage; and yes: joining a religion.

I think this explains why growth in Western countries has diminished, and is constrained mostly to Witness children who become baptized. The public has become very sophisticated when it comes to obtaining information about any subject or decision they must face. There are just too many people who know about the history of false prophecies, doctrinal flip-flops, the blood policies, the shunning practices, and the child abuse scandals.

I agree with what someone above wrote. This is probably why the most aggresive growth is in poorer countries where internet access is scarce, or non-existent.

• Arthur
    Arthur

Oh, and by the way; welcome back wanderer.

So; I guess you got lonely without the fellowship of us rebel-rousing, saber-rattling, venom-spewing, hate-mongering, hell-raising apostates did you?

• prodigal68
    prodigal68

The mantra of obedience without question beats on...

They say the Internet did more to bring about social changes in China than years of protests and foreign pressure ever did. The Internet will bring about changes in the younger generations because they are constantly exposed to it, as are the people they go to school with or work with and will meet at the door.

Nonetheless, for the rank and file dub, even if you see through the haze, do you really want to give up all your family and friends and start your life naked and alone? It's easier to go through the motions for most people. Attend a couple of meetings a month and drop an hour in the time box at the end of the month...

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Hi Rich,

Yes, they must hate the internet with a vengeance.

If I had access to the internet years ago and did research I never would have become a witness. Their changed teachings came as a bigger shock to me than all the other things that bothered me. Just think that there are thousands of JWs who are dead who believed differently from what is taught today.

The internet confirmed what I already believed or suspected about them. About the only thing new I learned about was the UN, the blood policy and the Silent Lambs. The abuse policy shocked me the most. Even though I realize all religions have this problem to some degree, I never knew how covered up it was.

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit