Should we be DF'd for eating trans fats

by Bonnie_Clyde 21 Replies latest jw friends

• choosing life
    choosing life

I don't know about transfats, but obesity is about as much a cause of sickness and death as cigarettes. It is supposed to soon pass smoking as the single most preventable cause of death. If you can be disfellowshipped for smoking, why does obesity get a free pass?

I don't really believe in shunning at all. just pointing out the inconsistencies in their policies.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Absolutely! The JCs around the world should DF for gluttony, inebriation, slander, lying, cheating, laughing, screwing, pissing blood, and fornicating with a desire for another mate. The JCs should DF for joy, DF for pain, DF for missed meetings, DF for bad hair days, DF for unpolished shoes, and DF for the hell of it. The JCs should DF everybody and then the world will be a better place. Then the JCs should DF Jehovah and His angels, then DF themselves.

Thank you, Lawrence. This put the funniest cartoon picture in my mind of a JC's DF'ing getting way out of control. This little piece of work, my friend, is priceless. You definitely made a good point. (I would personally love to hear an elder say "we are DFing you for the hell of it". I would reply, "well I am DFing you for saying 'the hell of it'". Then I would run away Looney Toons style, and the JC would look astonished and then run after me with huge butterfly nets. At some point they would fall off a cliff. I would, of course, get away in the nick of time.)

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    Huh? I take it you are playing devils advocate?

I am.

I also agree that trans fats are probably bad for you. I just don't like government intervention. We have enough of that. Cigarettes are not outlawed, but they have warning messages. I'm OK with that for trans fats. I think that it is a good thing if restaurants take a better look at their menus and offer more healthy foods. I understand they're doing that at Disney World now. The whole thing is education.

• Morocco
    Morocco

well if the GB doesn't want to be two-faced they would have to DF any witness for eating any fat -- trans or not. Leviticus 3:17 says: " 'This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, wherever you live: You must not eat any fat or any blood.' " Fat AND blood -- apparently the GB missed this little no eating fat bit -- someone should really bring it to their attention. But, hey, it's not a sin yet -- so eat up fatso!

• sir82
    sir82

As I understand it, the primary reason that using tobacco is a DF offense is the drug nicotine. Drug use ("pharmakia" in koine Greek) is translated as "spiritism" in the NWT - the idea being that drug use opens up some sort of portal for demonic forces to control you or something along those lines.

Trans fat is not a drug - at least, not in the same sense nicotine or marijuana or cocaine or whatever is. Thus, there justification for not including it in the list of DF offenses.

I full well realize that this opens up a whole 'nother can of worms (alcohol? caffeine?) but at least that is the reply you would get to this specific question.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I don't think that KFC changing because of a lawsuit is the same as gov't making laws. The gov't doesn't need to make 'laws' about everything, but common sense guidelines and information being disseminated is not the same as a law. I think alerting the public to the risk is a good thing. KFC is changing in the way that things are supposed to change in the US, because there is a consumer insistance upon it. CSPI isn't a gov't entity is it? If so, I stand corrected. I will give the example of Coke and its change(s), which were initially made because of perceived customer reasons, and eventually were changed back because of proven customer preferences. That is how our system is supposed to work. IMO. The changes that the KFC is making is due to a recognition that it NEEDS to change, and the lawsuit is what gave them their 'clue'. Took long enough!

Shelly

• Warlock
    Warlock

http://www.andrews.edu/NUFS/transhtml

Warning: This article contains the nefarious phrase "some" researchers and "some" scientists.

Warlock

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Anyway, back to my original question: if smoking is a DFing offense, how about trans fats?

Smoking is easier to monitor and police. Many religions requires some kind of sacrafice to be in good standing.

I like you abhor government intervention in our lives.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

No one, and I mean no one, could have possibly had a worse diet than my grandmother, junk food full of those nasty transfats, and she lived to be 76. She would have lived a lot longer, except for a mis-diagnosis. She went to the doctor with what she thought was the flu and the doctor sent her home. Turns out she had pnemonia and by the time she got back to the doctors, it was too late.

Not everybodys body responds the same way. I have friends who can eat cheese and fried chicken often and it doesnt effect their cholesterol. It does effect mine. Since this might be the only life I get, I am going to try my best to do my best to take care of it. With everybody working an angle in this world sometimes it is hard to chart the best coarse. I read in the obituarys of people in their 40's and 50's dying of heart attacks all the time. Each person has to work out his own salvation in this world.

• Carmel
    Carmel

I love KFC chicken! Please don't take my fried chicken away!!

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit