Any Comments on IE7?

by XJW4EVR 11 Replies latest jw friends

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I am currently testing this new IE update. I was wondering if any of you technoes either have or are currently using it?

Is it worth using, instead of Firefox?

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

It probably still sucks. I'm using the IE Tab extension of Firefox with the Fasterfox extension too, so I get the formatting benefit of seeing this site in IE, but with the speed of regular FF.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I don't associate with any fox critters. I had IE7 as an overlay installed on my latest computer and it didn't work with one of my important programs. I had to delete 7 and now everything works fine.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I installed IE7 a few days ago.

It took me a while to get used to it but it is working well except for one thing. It keeps shutting down my online games

It took a bit of fiddling with to get my tool bars the way I wanted them. And I'm still working on getting them the way I want but I like the clean look of it

I have tried Firefox before and didn't like it

• under_believer
    under_believer

I've used both heavily, all versions of FireFox from the original beta to the just-released 2.0 for my regular browser, and IE7 for professional and testing purposes.

IE7 is a huge step forward for IE. It is more secure and has more features (the biggest of which is tabbed browsing.) It's still weak on standards compliance. On memory usage really blows Firefox out of the water--Firefox is a big memory hog. There are some compatibility problems between IE6 and IE7--we actually had to recode some stuff to get it to be compatible with IE7 here at my work. Performance-wise it's faster at rendering than IE6, but roughly equivalent to Firefox. It has interesting RSS feed handling, arguably better that Firefox's RSS handling.

Of course, the only way to get advanced editing at JWD is to use IE--Simon has not made JWD very friendly to any other browser than IE, though you can of course get by in all the others to varying degrees depending on your technical savvy.

I'm sticking with Firefox, though--because of my extensions. There are a couple or three extensions that I just can't live without. And who knows what people will come up with next on the extension front?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I love IE7, find it is more compatible with more sites than Firefox, and has some great new features. I did have an issue when installing it on one of my laptops where IIS was uninstalled during the install of IE7.

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

Here is my personal opinion: All previous IEs>IE7>Firefox 2.0

• under_believer
    under_believer

Chameleon--so Internet Explorer 1 was better than IE7? Or did you mean to reverse that greater than symbol?

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

IE7 hosed up my Hewlett Packard printer/scanner/fax manager, the HP Director program. The bloody popup killer in IE7 kills the manager off as soon as it starts up!

There's a workaround available however, just need to have a shortcut to a small script which does some stuff before starting HP Director.

Why doesn't IE7 just worry about stuff from the internet instead of the whole damn computer??

Pope

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    IE7 is a huge step forward for IE. It is more secure and has more features (the biggest of which is tabbed browsing.) It's still weak on standards compliance. On memory usage really blows Firefox out of the water--Firefox is a big memory hog.

Yeah, I am a big FF fan but the memory leak is the only thing that bugs me. Firefox still pwns.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit