How did you get out of field service?

by return visitor 20 Replies latest jw friends

• c.t.russel the IVth
    c.t.russel the IVth

This was actually being practised by my Dad, my Uncle and his friends way back in the 1940's [when JW's were actually supposed to be more sincere about everything] He said that they used to drive over to the territory and then 'survey the whole territory' which meant driving very slowly aorund the whole boundary and then up and down all the streets within the territory......these dudes didn't even worry about actually talking to anyone to 'start their time'. by that time it was time to go for coffee break. The one time I actually got bamboozled into going 'aux pioneering' for a month I used to go to the group to 'show my face' [damn that meant getting up on time] and then going out to 'map' territories.....I was the territory guy for apts at the time. Then I'd do anything to kill time, go to the library....did a lot of reading that month. Then I'd go home to the wife and say what a wonderful spiritual day i'd had out-in-service. ctr the ivth

• mariposa
    mariposa

OMG Jayhawk - hate to steal the thread here - I just realised what your avatar is. It's that robot thing from that movie...I can't remember it right now. He dies at the end. I saw that when I was like 6 or 7 and cried and cried for days cause he died. I haven't seen it sense. What that little guy's name?

• daystar
    daystar

Pff... I just didn't go. I didn't try to lie or make up excuses. I'd just tell my parents I didn't want to go. They often tried to coerce me, but I stood firm.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Mariposa, this little guy is V.I.N.CENT from Disney's The Black Hole. B.O.B. is the one who died.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I had headaches. Or stomach ache. Or I would go, but insist I paired up with my husband, then refuse to do any presentations, so he had to talk at every door.

I never faked my hours, so I did start to get some attention.......then I ran.

We didn't have "car groups". You drove to the territory, then walked from door to door. We didn't have coffee and donut breaks either.

• mariposa
    mariposa

Yep - that's him!! B.O.B. poor little guy from the Black Hole.

Thanks!

• Chaka
    Chaka

When I was younger and couldn't get out of it, I used to pair up with my friend. We would walk really slow and not actually ring any of the door bells. I was really good at leaning into it and pretending like I was ringing the bell. We would just stand there and talk to each other until it seemed like we had waited long enough and then leave. When I was younger I also used to tell my dad that I had an RV. I would say "turn right here, go left, keep going, stop." I'd lead him and the whole car group to 7-11 and announce I had a Slurpee RV. Everyone would laugh and pile out of the car. They didn't care that I faked it. As an adult, I always inflated my hours....2 hours = 10 hours. 2 mags = 7 mags. Thank God that madness is over! When I see witnesses walking down the steet I still get that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach remembering how much I disliked going door-to-door.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I read the following Scripture one day:

1 Cor 15:1-4 Now brothers, I want to clarify for you the gospel I proclaimed to you; you received it and have taken your stand on it. You are also saved by it, if you hold to the message I proclaimed to you—unless you believed to no purpose. For I passed on to you as most important what I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that He was buried, that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures...

Since that wasn't the message I had been zealously preaching for over 10 years, I didn't go out in FS again.

The questions and looks persisted until I developed depression and asked for help from the brothers. Then the questions stopped and the looks became uglier.

• serendipity
    serendipity

LOL @the boat name 'Return Visit' - great idea.

Even though I just started fading in the last year or so, I haven't been out in service since 1988. I've only had a few people ask me to go with them, or ask when my service day was. I learned to avoid those people. Of course I'm a single female and don't have to answer to a JW spouse. JWs don't care as much as you may think.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When I realized that the troof was not the troof I didnt need an excuse not to share the misery.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit