How does a person tell between their thoughts and if God is communicating?

by The Dragon 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

I asked my JW mom today...."How do you know if your thoughts are your or God communicating to you?

The official JW explanation she refered me to is....."you just know".....

Would anyone risk their lives, obey, and slave for someone because "they just know"?

Any thoughts?

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

One of my favorite sayings is if you talk to god you are praying. If god talks to you you have schizophrenia.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I wouldn't now, but I don't believe in God anymore anyway.

• daystar
    daystar

My thought is that they are one and the same. You can't tell the difference, ultimately.

Some people might say that you can tell if it makes sense in reference to some "law" or other. But that's questionable since the words of the prophets most often do not go along with current popular understanding of "the laws" and yet they are still considered prophets.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Here's a good rule of thumb:

If you hear voices in your head, it's ALL YOU!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

God always "speaks" to people in whatever religious language they currently accept. I knew a JW that left it to become another form of Christian. He reported 'feeling Jesus in his heart' -- the whole bit. God reached into him then. Later he turned to paganism, and god started revealing "signs" to him, consistent with his new pagan views.

I suppose you could argue that God is there in all of these belief systems. But it seems odd to me that it should be this way, if it was truly external. If your god experience is actually coming from within you, this all makes sense.

In my opinion.

Dave

• Sirona
    Sirona

In my opinion it doesn't matter. Inspiration is inspiration after all.

Sirona - who has communicated with gods (not least, Diamondblue1974 lol )

• Satanus
    Satanus

While i do sense these types of things through my own mental/spiritual faculties, i don't think that what i experienced is all me. Things emenating from other people, entities are easy to differentiate from my own, as easy as knowing whether i am speaking or somebody else is. It is true that most of this appears internally. However, everything people sense through there eyes, ears etc is also sense through those internal faculties. In my experiences, i have not had any communications from god(s), nor seen any, and i have searched for god.

S

• Clam
    Clam

Also how does a person know if a demon is impersonating God?

Do "they just know?"

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I don't know. All of the answers I have recieved from most Christians have been less than satisfying. Since I have been a Christian, I don't think I have ever heard God "speak" to me once.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit