My mom finally did it!

by Woofer 17 Replies latest jw friends

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Definitely write to her. You have nothing to lose by being straight up with her. She opened that door. She asked questions of you...if she didnt want to hear from you she shouldnt have written to you.

Let us know what you decide to write. And...

"Mom, I read with interest the information that you sent to me and I hope that you take the time to read what I have to say about it with the same open mind that I had when reading yours...."

You know...along those lines maybe :)

• Woofer
    Woofer

Thanks Loves! That will definately be the opening to my letter to her.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I wonder why they don't realise that the end has been near for 130 years always round the corner yet it never arrived. Since 1995 it was postponed indefinitely but they don't want to see that and the FDS is constantly exploiting their propensity to believe that the end is near along with the release it will bring. Yet the WTS is not the way to any new world it being a devious cult.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

However, the elderly Dubs have invested too much of their lives to leave at the end. That would be admitting that their whole life was based on nothing and that's more than alot of people can bear.

I agree. But the flip-side of this can be a relaxing of shunning practices for some individuals.

For example, my aunt (66) and uncle (80+) both lifelong JWs, recently visited me from out of town (they were here for another aunt's JW memorial). My ex-JW mom was here, too. We hadn't all been together in 20+ years due to shunning. But we ate and drank and laughed like old times at MY home which I share with Mr. Bee to whom I am not married! Hah! How weird is that? These are witlesses in good standing. When asked what is different now, my aunt simply said, "It's just what I want to do."

My opinion is that some of these elderly Dubs are making some compromises because deep down they KNOW. Millions living are now dead. They've seen the passing of too many of their own parents, siblings, friends, etc. who believed Armageddon was "just around the corner."

Yeah, some cosmic corner, light years away...........

• Jez
    Jez
    Will the lies they were told ever sink in???

What is her alternative? You have to remember that her entire identity is entwined with this religion. She may 'know' but to leave every belief, hope, fear, friends, ritual, routine, goals etc is beyond the capability of many people and not necessarily the healthiest choice for everyone.

I remember my mom saying one time after I talked to her about alot of stuff, "And what am I suppose to do, just stop believing, just like that? What would I do? What would I have to live for?"

Jez

• Sailor Ripley
    Sailor Ripley

Keep your chin up. I recently got the same treatment... though mine is only 7 months it's still pretty crappy that you can't just call and say, hey guess what [kiddo] did today? Oh, yeah and she hasn't seen or met our new 6-week-old; the way things are going she probably won't for a while.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Definitely write back and has been suggested, go point by point on that article, maybe she will even read a little of it, but who knows. My spouse is a witless one and refuses to listen most of the time to anything that goes against what the guberning bodice says. She lives in her own little world and I don't live in that part with her. And won't either.

• Borgia
    Borgia

Yeah, the end is right around the corner for them....and they realize it. So, Would it be wrong to be friendly to them, instead of widening the gap, maybe offering an opening to meet with their grandchild.....?

Cheers

Borgia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit