Therapy or Counseling for ex-jws

by stillin4now 13 Replies latest watchtower medical

• stillin4now
    stillin4now

I am in the beginning process of trying to "fade" and have been dealing with depression and anxiety for a variety of reasons for a long time.

Does anyone know of resources for finding counseling that is appropriate for someone like me?

I have never been to a therapist and am afraid that they won't understand the unique issues of a person who is

trying to leave the JW organization. Changing religions is probably no big deal to "the world" but to people raised in

"the truth" it's like becoming a new person. Any suggestions would be appreciated. V

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Start with a regular counselor/therapist office on the phone, ask if they know of any good therapists for ex-JW's in the area.

Call more than a few therapists. Next, try church counselors. Next, if that search is fruitless, try for a cult expert therapist.

• Arthur
    Arthur

Here's what I recommend:

Go to Steven Hassan's website: http://freedomofmind.com and post him an email asking him if he can recommend an exit counselor in your area. Let him know that you are a JW.

Or, post emails at these other websites with the same question:

Fact Net

International Cultic Studies Association

I also sent you a PM.

• stillin4now
    stillin4now

Thanks Arthur and "onthewayout".

• Gill
    Gill

Stillin4now - I was surprised to find that a humble counsellor knew more than enough about leaving a cult.

After 4 years, I have gone back to see her. I've moved on in many ways and yet she says my psyche is damaged by being in a cult from birth. She gives me exercises to do (that make me laugh, and certainly annoy a lot of people) but must work at as after all these years I'm still improving. I remain 'interestingly weird!' My husband, also a born in JW, has never had any issues with leaving dub land. He says he always knew it was crap! Each one of us is different and has different issues with our past.

I think you'll be surprised to find that most counsellors are clued up on our dysfunctional lives that we used to lead.

All I can say, is that in time there is improvement.....but it takes time to undo the damage and for some it takes longer than you would wish.

I hope you find a great counsellor! Don't despair as there most certainly IS light at the end of the tunnel with this.

Good Luck!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I have never been to a therapist and am afraid that they won't understand the unique issues of a person who is trying to leave the JW organization

They have experience with JW, Moonies, Scientoligists, you name it. If your first choice doesn't know how to deal with it, go find one that does. It shouldn't be difficult.

Cheers

Chris

• carman
    carman

reply to still in for now there is a wounderful place in ohio called wellspring resort they deal with this type of problem all the time , Ive called for the same thing they are notcheep. but most things that are good have a price. if this is to far you might call them and get info for a place closer to you, please dont give up Jesus is smilling knowing your going down the right path now ,give it time it will get easyer your spiritual freind always.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

whatever you don't try a JW counselor. They are instructed to report back to the elders in your area. More than one person here has tried that with very negative results.

Alsot try asking for a therapist who has some undertanding of high control groups, and or dysfunctional families. Sometimes the words you use will hep you find what you are looking for.

Also check http://www.rickross.com/ There is a link on the front page for finding help

• stillin4now
    stillin4now

Thank you everybody for all your good suggestions. I know this is gonna take time but it's well worth it.

This forum helps me every day. Thanks, V.

• SB
    SB

i don't have therapy suggestions that havn't already been mentioned, but i wanted to say good job in seeking professional help. i did online therapy w/a councelor half way across the world for a couple months, but she really didn't have the kind of specialization that i was looking for but it was a good experience to get my feelings out. i'm a new poster here, but this board is very theraputic ~ anyways, good job and good example making sure you come out of the WBTS mentally healthy! i'm a firm believer after we leave, it should have as little hold on our intellect as possible. of course, it will be a lifelong struggle, but strength makes struggles a little easier to muscle!!

SB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit