I received the book Crisis of Conscience can't put it down.

by hambeak 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• trevor
    trevor

hambeak - I received the book Crisis of Conscience can't put it down.

Jayhawk1 - I had a hard time putting down the first book.
    Freetosee -- I couldn’t put it down

What is Ray Franz up to - is he putting super glue on the book covers?

I do have the book and found it a very enlightening read. My only disappointment was that Ray only left because he was hounded and pushed. Had the Watchtower Mafia left him alone he would probably still be sitting in Kingdom Hall somewhere.

Still I stayed longer than I should have, long after I knew it was all a con and onlyleft because I couldn't keep up the pretense. It takes time to deprogram ourselves after so much indoctrination so I don't want to come across as critical of the guy. A hug for (Ray)

trevor

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

CoC occupies a prominent spot on my bookcase, along with ISoCF. I have read them both multiple times.

Ray fought against being Df'd. He still believed it the 'truth' till that point, I believe. Maybe thought it was reformable. When he understood the depth of fear that resided in Brooklyn of anyone looking carefully at matters like 607, the GT, the Great Crowd, the light began to come through for him. Much like the rest of us.

His writing style is free of bitterness, and this is the appeal to Xjw's IMO. I have great admiration for the man - not because he left over conscience - I don't think he did. He elected not to return over conscience. IMO. His social structure had been devastated with most of his 'close friends' being disfellowshipped at Bethel, when they finally 'got him', what was the point of return? Just my view.

If not for Franz and his books, I don't know if Wifey and I would have gotten out as soon. Knowing that the doctrines and morals were out of sync with scripture and decency made the break easier, and the healing quicker. He saved us years of guilt racked worry that we were displeasing God. I missed an opportunity to meet him personally a few years back, but we correspond sometimes, and I have tremendous respect for him.

Jeff

• Clam
    Clam

Hambeak it's an incredible book and if you're on page 100 then the best is yet to come. It was a good Society history lesson for me as well. I'd never realised how the conscientious objectors were treated which is one area which particularly interests me. One tragic story which also disgusted me was the story of Ed Dunlap at the end of the chapter Point of Decision. You'll find plenty to chat about when you're finished. Good old Ray.

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

Kudra wrote:

Mmm. I think I need some "encouragement" to keep plowing through the first one (CoC). I find his style of writing to be sort of poor... (sorry guys!)

On the other hand I found the actual content to be extremely illuminating. It is just pretty painful to read. Sometimes his sentence structure borders on "difficult to understand"...

I have to agree I also struggled with the writing, but it is worth the effort for the information contained.

CS 101

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

"In Search of Christian Freedom" is what did it for me. It was a book that had to be written, and I'm glad he wrote it. Major issues with their doctrines had to be addressed and Ray was the guy to do it. I know some feel the book isn't as interesting as COC, but for me it was one of the best books I have ever read.

• hubert
    hubert

I'm reading "C of C" for the second time at work, during my breaks. I'm about half way through it.

I think it's the best "therapy" for an ex-dub. (And I was never a j-dub).

Hubert

• exwitless
    exwitless

I've read both books from cover to cover. I found COC hard to put down once I started it. These books really put the last nail in the coffin for me. When I first thought seriously of DA'ing, I had some major guilt issues and doubt. After I read these books, there was no doubt in my mind that I had to leave. I cannot recommend these books strongly enough!

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

I read COC in a couple of days. "In Search of Christian Freedom" was very good as well. What made the difference for me was the Mexico/Malawi double standard. To date NO witness has been able to explain it. I had my PO say he was going to come over with the CO and talk about it. They NEVER showed up. My own sister said she would look into it. NEVER got back to me. A former elder said he would look into it. NEVER got back to me. And this was all before I DA'd myself. That's got to tell you something right there.

The Claw.

• TD
    TD

Once you've finished both of Ray's books, get hold of "Visions of Glory: A History and a Memory of Jehovah's Witnesses" by Barbara Grizzuti Harrison. The late Ms. Harrison was a proof reader at Bethel in the 50's. --A very interesting read.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit