Society's viewpoint of other bibles

by Zico 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Zico
    Zico

I like this quote, from page 145 of Theocratic Ministry School book about using other bibles.

'You must realize, however, that some Bible translators have taken liberties with God's Word. Their renderings may not conform in all respects to what was in the original bible languages. A number of modern translators have eliminated God's personal name, obscured what the original-langauge text says regarding the condition of the dead, and concealed what the Bible says about God's purpose for the earth.'

What about inserting Jehovah's name where it never appeared, or mistranslating parousia and proskuneo in order to support the faulty invisible presence doctrine, and to relegate Jesus importance? Hmmm....

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

In fairness they used the King James exclusively until the NWT in 1950 - so they can not be against that - they also own the copywrite on the Byington version

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

This quote is good for your topic:

w97 10/1 p.20 par. 15 Loyally Upholding God’s Inspired Word***

Show discernment in the selection of the Bible you use. (Proverbs 19:8) If a translation is not honest about the identity of God himself—removing his name from his inspired Word on whatever pretext—might the translators also have tampered with other parts of the Bible text? When in doubt about the validity of a rendering, endeavor to compare it with older translations. If you are a teacher of God’s Word, favor the versions that hold closely to what is in the original Hebrew and Greek text.

It leaves out the implied thought- "If a translation is not honest about the identity of God himself—removing his name from his inspired Word on whatever pretext OR ADDING IT IN WHERE IT NEVER WAS—might the translators also have tampered with other parts of the Bible text?"

This thought is implied too- "...favor the versions that hold closely to what is in the original Hebrew and Greek text. Since you can't read the original Hebrew and Greek text, just rely on Freddy Franz or other WTS writers to tell you what they should say.

• gold_morning
    gold_morning

Funny this topic keeps coming up.

I wish I was smarter to share with you what I heard this weekend. But you can get it on CD for about $4.00

They had a talk on this topic at the "Witness Now For Jesus Conference" this past weekend. It was Friday at 2pm and it was given by Keith Walker. The title was "What's in a name --Pronunciation or Reputation" I believe you can get them from Blue Mountain Christian Retreat by giving the date and time of the speaker and his name. It is WELL WORTH ORDERING THAT ONE! It really cleared up the name issue.

so it would be: October 20, 2006 (Friday) 2pm speaker: Keith Walker title: What's in a Name Phone# for retreat is: (570)386-2154

It may not be available for order on line yet.

gold_morning

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

Happy Birthday Gold_Morning!!

• gold_morning
    gold_morning

Thank you Mrs Smith!!

• badboy
    badboy

BYINGTON TRANSLATION?

WHAT TRANSLATION IS THAT?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I got my copy of the Byington translation at the kingdom hall. I guess it's not really available anymore?

• seek2find
    seek2find

I guess it could be said that they must not be to much against other translations or they wouldn't quote from them. I would like to know why they have'nt come out with their version of a chain refference or study bible. How about a bible with strongs numbers. Oh wait, maybe that would show how biased the NWT is in some places. seek2find

• under_believer
    under_believer

The Society quotes from other Bibles liberally, especially if the quote supports the point they're trying to make better than the text in the NWT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit