Questions="dishonest baiting"?

by Julie 44 Replies latest jw friends

• bigboi
    bigboi

Seigswife:

It's sad that it has to come to that in some cases. However, I think it is important that parents nowadays be taught how to handle conflicts with their children. Today's homes are filled with so much stress and pressure. I can understand how that event probably transpired with our friend and her kid. No doubt, tempers flared and the situation got out of hand. That type of stuff happens everyday. I don't think your friend is an abuser. She prolly felt threatend by her kid and throwing a boot at a 4 ft person who also happens to be your mother is an extreme action for any child. I don't think your friend's actions were appropiate because of the use of the gun. However, I do understand that she probably reacted out of anger, shock and didn't mean any harm to be done to her daughter.

ONE....

bigboi

"life's a bitch a with a g-string and a twelve pack of Busch."

• Julie
    Julie

Hi Siegswife,

:There you go again. You know NOTHING about my friend. She has always been very small and learned from a young age to defend herself against attack.

I have the same story and would never pull a gun on my own child. Of course I don't even own a gun because I'm not a violent person and I don't go hunting.

:Was she wrong?

Yes.

:Was she wrong for having a gun in her house?

Not if it is licensed and all legal, it is her right. Sorry to hear she is so quick to use it.

:What is it with atheist anyway? They don't believe in the existance of a God, which means in essence, that we are all god unto ourselves. Yet they use their own conscience to judge someone else.

I merely explained how it works, the whole children learning violence thing. You told a story and I shared with you what research shows about such behavior. I held such views as I hold now of child rearing while I was a Catholic too. The one thing I haven't changed is my belief that violence has no place in the lives of children. It's not righteous (self or otherwise) thinking, it's enlightened.

:Do you seek to be god of the world? If you don't, where do you get off judging another 'god' for the decisions they make?

No I seek to be no one's god, I feel no urge to inspire worship for myself. I have learned a more enlightened way to raise children. I have applied what I learned to my own parenting efforts and have had excellent results. It's as though I did my own case studies. Glad I did, especially after I hear stories like those you shared with us. I realize the effort was well worth it.

As for judging "another 'god'"--I will guess you are referring to various threads where gruesome bible stories are discussed?? Yes, I have a problem with a god who would commit/condone/order wholesale slaughter and countless various sick acts. Don't you? I consider such a being anything but enlightened. That is my view, you are of course free to worship such a god as you please.

:If you are adhering to the laws of the land, does that mean the you are in agreement and adhere to all the manmade laws that exist? And if you do, does that mean that the people that make these laws have some superior grasp on the world that they can make laws that should be agreeable to everyone? It sounds confused to me.

I really do not have any idea just what it was you were trying to say here.

Julie

• siegswife
    siegswife

(((As for judging "another 'god'"--I will guess you are referring to various threads where gruesome bible stories are discussed?? Yes, I have a problem with a god who would commit/condone/order wholesale slaughter and countless various sick acts. Don't you? I consider such a being anything but enlightened. That is my view, you are of course free to worship such a god as you please.)))

Actually, I was referring to my friend, who would be a god unto herself if no god exists. She would also be the ultimate authority, or god to her own child if no god exists.

• siegswife
    siegswife

I don't think I would ever do that to my own child either, but she reacted to the situation the way she did, and its end wasn't so bad. I don't own a gun, never have and never will, but if I did, I would probably use in if called upon to defend myself against someone more powerful than me.
    I did have a situation once when my son, then 11, pushed me into an empty bathtub because I was making him do some housework that he didn't want to do. I beat his ass with a belt.
    My sons, all now in there mid to late twenties, have recently expressed to me that they feel I was entirely in the right for the ass whoopings that they received at my hand when they were younger. They, all of them, agreed that they could be disagreeable little brats that made my life more difficult when it suited them. They all have grown to be fine men, the two oldest have good jobs and families of their own. The youngest is going to college and working at a well paying job in accounting.
    I didn't spank them often, and would always warn them, but if they didn't heed my warnings they received the consequences for their behavior.

• bigboi
    bigboi
    I don't think I would ever do that to my own child either, but she reacted to the situation the way she did, and its end wasn't so bad. I don't own a gun, never have and never will, but if I did, I would probably use in if called upon to defend myself against someone more powerful than me.

I totally understand this. I thinkmost persons would agree with what you said here.

I did have a situation once when my son, then 11, pushed me into an empty bathtub because I was making him do some housework that he didn't want to do. I beat his ass with a belt.

You knew what was right for your child and handled the matter appropiately. I bet he got the point.

My sons, all now in there mid to late twenties, have recently expressed to me that they feel I was entirely in the right for the ass whoopings that they received at my hand when they were younger. They, all of them, agreed that they could be disagreeable little brats that made my life more difficult when it suited them. They all have grown to be fine men, the two oldest have good jobs and families of their own. The youngest is going to college and working at a well paying job in accounting.

Just proof that using various methods of disciplining children can be a good way to go. I don't have to say this, but I know you are proud of your family.

I didn't spank them often, and would always warn them, but if they didn't heed my warnings they received the consequences for their behavior.

Therein lies the key. IF anyone decides to use corporal punishment in disciplining thier children it should always be last resort. It should never be done out of a rage and instruction should be included. It helps kids learn that their are consequences for their actions and helps to impress upon the need to be obedient and act appropiately. Of course it's only a part of what goes into raising a child, but if done correctly and with love, then the child will see and understand upon maturing what it is their parents were trying to instill in them. Just because a parent chooses to use corporal punishment as a disciplinary tool, doesn't mean they are abusers.

ONE....

bigboi

"life's a bitch a with a g-string and a twelve pack of Busch."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit