Questions="dishonest baiting"?

by Julie 44 Replies latest jw friends

• siegswife
    siegswife

To the contrary, this girl is VERY spoiled. Her mom, my friend, was more strict than her father, but neither ever hit her. She got WHATEVER she wanted. If mom said no, dad would say yes after she put on a crying routine. The problems this girl had, and still has are because she wasn't disciplined from the time she was a child. Do you think that violence is strictly a LEARNED behavior?
    I have another friend who has a 4 year old son. She and her husband are not violent, don't spank him, have NEVER let him watch violent shows, even violent cartoon, and yet this boy is one of the most aggressive children I have ever met. What is the explanation for that?

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

SW,

Are you looking for a black and white answer?

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • siegswife
    siegswife

No, I'm asking how you can come to the conclusions that you do about my friend being a violent child abuser? Tell me, what did you do when YOUR teenager, who is bigger than you, hit YOU on the back with a boot because she didn't like it? It hasn't happened to you? Just how would you control an out of control child? Should my friend have had her arrested and sent to juvie for awhile?

• Julie
    Julie

Yes, violence is a learned behavior. Maybe your friends never hit the girl but with the way that woman didn't hesitate to whip out a gun on her daughter, she obviously has violent tendancies. One can merely witness violence to learn it, no need to be subjected to it. As to the boy, not only has he learned violence but it sounds like is an angry child as well. Definite problem for society in-the-making there. The saddest part of it is there are so many more than the two obvious examples you set forth Siegswife.

How sad for us all--

Julie

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

SW,

If you feel this is normal behaiver for a mother, you really got me worried about you!

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • siegswife
    siegswife

There you go again. You know NOTHING about my friend. She has always been very small and learned from a young age to defend herself against attack. Was she wrong? Was she wrong for having a gun in her house? What is it with atheist anyway? They don't believe in the existance of a God, which means in essence, that we are all god unto ourselves. Yet they use their own conscience to judge someone else. Do you seek to be god of the world? If you don't, where do you get off judging another 'god' for the decisions they make? If you are adhering to the laws of the land, does that mean the you are in agreement and adhere to all the manmade laws that exist? And if you do, does that mean that the people that make these laws have some superior grasp on the world that they can make laws that should be agreeable to everyone? It sounds confused to me.

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

Are you actually defending a woman who put a gun to her daughters head to "teach her a lesson?" What does this have to do with being an atheist? Every religious person I know would condemn such insane behaviour. YOu realize that putting a gun to someones head is against the law right?

• siegswife
    siegswife

Why shouldn't I defend her? It's her kid, not mine. Why should I tell her what lessons she should teach her and what methods she should use to teach them? Assault and battery are also against the law. Should my friend have had her daughter arrested and locked up in a juvenile detention center? How would you have controlled this violent, out-of-control child? Would you let her think that she could beat you up?

• Tina
    Tina

sw,
    The point others are trying to make has nothing to do with atheism.Why do you keep bringing that up? The point is about some really terrible,dysfunctional parenting,which you made quite clear in relating that experience. It has nothing to do with 'judging'. The behavior speaks for itself.Commenting on such behavior is not judging,but calling it as it is. There IS something drastically askew when a parent behaves that way(pulling a gun out on the child)This is NOT normal healthy parenting. Instilling violent fear in a child is insane and only teaches a child that violence and threats of it, are how one finds a solution to a problem. And that's exactly what you related to us. No one needs to know a whole life history to see this. And as Julie pointed out,will cause more problems than it will solve. The child did learn it somewhere,and it's obvious from the parenting where she learned it.T

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• siegswife
    siegswife

It must have worked. The girl never threatened her again. And she is now 40 years old and has never had a problem with the law, or violence. It seems to me that my friend taught her daughter a lesson. As far as it having nothing to do with atheism, you're probably right. I've found that people are happy to judge others no matter what their faith, or lack thereof. They judge them strictly according to what THEY believe is right or wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit