I Just Got Door Knocked - how did I handle it?

by Crumpet 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Well I just got visited with the tract by a chap who looked like an elder - the most interesting thing about the whole 2 second visit was not

a) that his partner hid out of the way so I couldnt even see them

or

b) that they just stood at the door didnt ring or knock

but that

c) He said we wondered if you;d be interested in this worldwide work and proferred a shaky A4 size leaflet with what looked like a storm brewing on the front (is that the new tract anybody as I didnt want to look for too long case I went blind). When I said is this anything to do with Jehovah's Witnesses the elder shied away and said "well only indirectly" HELLO what kind of bloody answer is that? They dont even want to admit that they are JWs now!

I said well if it is anything to do them I wouldnt touch that with a barge pole looking disgusted at his leaflet and said Goodbye with a smile and closed the door! I hope all my neighbours on this street who know my dreadful but not ununusal situation will show solidarity and do exactly the same!

I suppose I could have invited them in for coffee and a chat .... but I really can think of better things to do with my time. They were just darned lucky that Mr C (I'm still calling him that even if we arent officially together as y'all know him as that) would have chased them up the street yelling abuse!

Nina x

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

You 'ole meany...tea and crumpets would have been very nice.

lisa

• Gill
    Gill

Crumpet! Very cool! Why waste any more of your time on them!

Pity the fools!

• Clam
    Clam
    When I said is this anything to do with Jehovah's Witnesses the elder shied away and said "well only indirectly"

How bizarre. That's a very lukewarm and uncomfortable response. Would've been interesting to press him on that but then again why bother?

Clam (indirectly apostosizing)

• luna2
    luna2

Quite a few years ago I remember being told not to say "I'm a Jehovah's Witness" right off the bat because people have preconceived notions about dubs and might cut you off before you got a chance to get to talk to them. I always thought that was deceptive and was embarrassed when, after skirting around the JW question, it became obvious that I was indeed a JW out in the magazine peddling work.

Actually, its quite a good glimpse at how the WTS is: deceptive, backhanded, and two-faced. They can say its all in a good cause because they get people to take the literature and talk to them who might not, but it seems pretty sleazy to me.

I agree with you that I have better things to do with my time than to converse with them. Maybe someday my attitude on that will change but for now, that's how it is.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

There's a "Mr. C"? Sigh. Guess all hope is lost for me being Mr. C.

I would have asked them if they are denying Jesus as his one disciple did when asked if he was a Christian.

Wing Commander

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Lol Clam and i love your blackadder avatar! And thanks for your vote of confidence guys. I think I would have said more but I was only wearing my pink PJs - I was expecting the plumber.

I just couldnt believe that they came up the drive and just stood on my door step. When they left I stepped outside to test the doorbell just in case! I know young horny pioneer couples arent there to actually ring doorbells or speak to anyone but I thought the elders were meant to take the lead.

It was just a double whammy that they tried to conceal their identity! Like they were ashamed of being JWs and so they should be!

I think my barge-pole comment took them aback as well. I'd say I know about 50% of the neighbours on my street and have made it a point to anti witness to them all. Its quite easy at halloween or borthdays or christmas to bring it up naturally when I comment that I never celebrated all these things when younger - it raises questions.

Wing Commander - thought about taking up plumbing? (See para 1)

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

You did good young Crumpet.

Why would you want to look at something thats part of a religion that has caused you so much grief.

My copy ended in the bin too.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Darling Crumpet,

I was only wearing my pink PJs - I was expecting the plumber.

Are we to infer that you have the hots for the plumber? I mean, what does your wearing pink paggies have to do with expecting the plumber? Was he there to give you a service? Your house, not you (Sheesh!).

Deviant Ian

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I think that you handled it well...

When I said is this anything to do with Jehovah's Witnesses the elder shied away and said "well only indirectly" HELLO what kind of bloody answer is that?

I may have pressed this issue though... telling them it was meant as a simple question to be answered, 'Yes' or 'No'. Make them either own up to being JWs - or not.

Either that - or insult them... saying, in reply to their 'well only indirectly' smart-ass reply... "Oh. So you're Mormons." Then watch their faces.

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit