Old Rutherford vinyl records...

by Sam87 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Sam87
    Sam87

My Mother found some old JW records a couple of months ago, they apparently were what the dubs used to use when they were witnessing, theyd go out with a record player and play these records to people to preach to them.

Just wondering if anyone else has any of these? Im guessing theres probly not that many of them around, i think i have about 6 or so of them and they are quite old, (im at work at the moment so i cant really tell you any more about them) I was thinking that i mite sell them on ebay, maybe ill get a bit of cash for them.

Sam87.

• Sam87
    Sam87

awww someone must've heard of these before?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I haven't, surprisingly enough. Great avatar, BTW.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Sam

I had a friend in NSW years ago who had heaps of those old records! Also a couple of the wind-up phonograph machine. The needles for the phonograph were like steel pins, you could only play a few records before they wore out. I remember the can for the needles was like a pyramid shape with a hole at the apex, you tipped the can over to get a new needle out the hole.

Pope

• Sam87
    Sam87

thanks leolaia, i think my avatar is suitable, lol. I have heard of what you are talking about to pope, im pretty sure they used to take the whole thing door to door! haha, how stupid would you feel putting on a record and standing there for a few minutes while the person at the door is like ''what the hell are you on about'' hahaha

Sam87.

• I quit!
    I quit!

My Mother found some old JW records a couple of months ago, they apparently were what the dubs used to use when they were witnessing, theyd go out with a record player and play these records to people to preach to them.

What songs does he sing on them?

• RR
    RR

Yeah I have a stack of them, but no player. The players go on ebay every once in a while but always sell for hundreds of dollars.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I have heard of the records containing sermons delivered by Rutherford - they were a bit before my time, and I have a CD containing some of the sermons.

RR, do they require something unique in terms of a player. Wouldn't any 33/45/78 rpm turntable work?

Or did Ol' Joe use 144,000 rpm? HA ha!

You can check past auctions on eBay to see what other sets of the records sold for.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The records weren't only used at the strangers doors, they were used in sound cars, sound trucks, and sound trailers. Sometimes those sound cars were parked in front of a church on a Sunday morning during a service time and the records saying Catholic religion was demonism and religion was a racket and a snare, were played to disturb the service, disrespecting the people and the church.

Rutherford was looking for riots against his peddlers and he got more than a few. Schnell's book tells of setting up anti Catholic demonstrations with media called and camera crews ready to record the riots. The Witnesses antagonized people and the riots were set us for publicity and court cases.

The Witness Bible readers saw that Jesus said "my followers will be hated", so the Witnesses thought if they could get people to hate them, they were automatically pure to Jesus just by virtue of the people hating them. They set out to antagonize and aggravate people in order to get the people to hate them.

They applied a WAY toned down approach to that strategy with the current Kingdom News brochure but they have nothing to worry about since they forgot to write anything in the brochure.

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I just sold a whole bunch of Kindom Melodies records on ebay and I saw that the JW sermon records are selling for quite a bit of money. Maybe you should sell them and take yourself out to dinner!

Best Regards,

Chrystal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit