Resources will be gone by 2050

by oldflame 69 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    Really? Australia is a net exporter of food and other resources, as is Canada. Last time I looked, our living standards were pretty high.

Oooh, you caught me there, Stephanus. Really, I was exagerating slightly in order to make my point.

• oldflame
    oldflame
    Thought I'd have a coffee. Now I know why vending machine stuff always tastes like monkey urine!

Ian,

It never fails you always know how to make a guy crack up. You should of been a stand up comedian.

which resources are we talking about?

Oh I think probably oil and fresh water ? Eventually things go empty, anyone who thinks that oil will be around forever is only fooling themselves. Water, I just recently took a trip from California to Wyoming. I drove I-80 across and have done so many times over the years. I have never seen the lakes as low as they are now ever. Even the great salt lake is very low and I have never seen that lake like it is now. They cannot blame farmers because it is a salty lake and has no use for crops.

The weather has been changing recently to, it seems that it is getting hotter than normal the last few years. I being born in Washington state have been told by family that they are not getting the rain like they used to and they to are warming up drastically. So if anyone thinks that our resources will last forever are only fooling themselves. Those who say oh well I will be dead by then ? C'mon you mean to tell me that you have no love for your children and your children's children ? Because if you don't care because you will be dead then you really don't have much care for those you leave behind.

I think we need to as a whole earth begin to look for other resources and other methods, hell to be honest I would not mind going back to horse and buggy. I get sick and tired of stupid drivers and besides many more far less died from horse wrecks. LOL But I do think it is very important for all to not just think but begin to use different resources or even try conserving resources. We are all very wasteful in the use of our resources and it has made people as a whole lazy in many ways. Yes I say it is time we do, do something.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I think one of the most worrying things to throw in the conversation is what is happening, not in America and Western cultures, but the far East, China, India and other developing countries. This year, they are building one coal fired power station in China A WEEK. This is on top of the millions of millions of tonnes of carbon already being put out by China. Saying that population growth is going to slow down will not automatically fix these problems.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/4640358.stm

• jgnat
    jgnat

I agree that we ignore China to our peril.

The continents/nations on the verge of economic and social success, however, include Africa, South America, and India.

Edited to add: I think these last three will get their act together BEFORE their land is denuded. India is well on it's way. When is the last time they had a famine? Ten years ago, who knew of Bollywood? I don't have the same optimism for China.

• oldflame
    oldflame

jgnat,

I agree that we ignore China to our peril.

Actually China is the leader today in pollutions and the USA is just under them.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Ten years ago, who knew of Bollywood? I don't have the same optimism for China.

You think so? When I was a kid, China was almost always on the verge of starvation. These days. China exports rice! Recently I read an article about how Chinese bra manufacturers were having to retool their production. Whereas they once majored in A and B cup sizes, they now have more demand for C and D cup. So what does that suggest? That I'm a dirty old man? I won't touch that, but what it also means is that Chinese people are gaining weight, something that someone growing up in the Mao era would never have dreamed possible.

• Satanus
    Satanus

China is currently in a growth spurt, that is a bit like the wild west was in the usa, or the industrial revolution, after that. I don't expect it to pay much attention to pollution problems during this phase. Somewhere down the road, when growth levels off a bit, it will probably get a handle on it's pollution problem. After all, it took it's population problem in hand a few yrs ago.

Africa is a different story. It has lots of natural resources, lots of potential. But, it's people lack any control, vision,etc. Unless some outside contry does something huge, it will be a basket case for decades. China is moving in there in order get raw materials. Maybe china will eventually put some structure into place (at least a few chinese restaurents).

S

• ballistic
    ballistic
    After all, it took it's population problem in hand a few yrs ago.

What literally?

• Satanus
    Satanus
    After all, it took it's population problem in hand a few yrs ago.
    What literally?

Wouldn't surprise me, ballistic. S

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Africa is a different story. It has lots of natural resources, lots of potential. But, it's people lack any control, vision,etc. Unless some outside country does something huge, it will be a basket case for decades.

Perhaps the various colonies took independent nation status too early in the cycle...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit