Did you go to your prom?

by free2beme 16 Replies latest jw friends

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Yes, I went, and loved it!! I had just left my JW parents at the end of my junior year, and so I was "free" my senior year. I enjoyed everything about it. My "real" dad and stepmom made sure of that. She and I made my dress. The theme was "southern", so my dress scooped way low and was beautiful. I'm glad I went. But that year I was finally free to be a kid!!

When I started college, I made the cheerleading squad!! Something I always wanted to do!! I made sure my daughter got to do everything she wanted to do while in school!!

• TheKings
    TheKings

hell no!

i wasn't allowed to go to the prom, or any dances, no extra-curricular activites, sports, or going to a friends houses (couldn't even bring one home). it was all worldly and distracted me from god. sometimes i think a nun has more freedom.

• anewme
    anewme

No. My Dad had just remarried and paid little attention to me in those days, along with the fact I began studying the Bible with a JW girl in my same grade.

I was such a depressed teen, talented cellist (musician of the year!)but I was so "out of it" socially I was not aware of the dances, campaigns, proms, or parties going on. I was perfectly happy to be a recluse in my senior year. Upon graduation I was thrown out of the house for getting baptized and went to live with witnesses. It would be another 35 years before I would emerge from the Borg.

My brother, never a witness, moved to the east coast and has raised three great kids. All are experiencing the many milestones that society offers. They are socially adjusted kids, doing well in school and dating and going to proms and graduation and getting into higher education and I expect they will all have careers in the future.

This brother has such a mercy for me. I am so grateful for his understanding what I have gone through in life. He went to college and got a degree (while I scrubbed toilets and attended JW meetings).
    He has been so supportive of my escaping the Watchtower.
    He wants me to live life to the full and have a happy life.
    I would want that for my children if I had any.
    Im all for going to the prom and enjoying the special days that mark our lives and add to our memories.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

When I was a junior, a senior invited me to the senior prom. Of course, I knew I wasn't allowed to date, but I felt pressured by all our friends in the same class. Even the teacher got in on the act and encouraged me to say yes. So I did. My parents were divorced and my mom was inactive so I told him yes but I would meet him there. I visited my mom on the weekends and I think the prom was on a Friday or Saturday night. So when I was at my mom's I asked her if I could go and she said YES! I got dressed at my mom's and caught the bus to the swanky hotel ballroom where the prom was held. He greeted me with wrist corsage (looking very relieved I showed up). It was all very innocent. Lots of teachers and parents chaperoning etc. Very tame.

That summer, same boy sent me a postcard telling me what a great time he had and how he was looking forward to school starting in September. Only problem is, he sent it to my house and my dad, the elder read it. He beat me black and blue with his belt buckle. I had bruises all over my body. Even another sister in the hall who saw them when I was wearing shorts said "That isn't right!" Of course she was a single mom with no status in the congo so that went nowhere.

Well, I didn't go to my own senior prom. I was a little wary (traumatized) of proms after that episode. Yeah, those witness parents are so balanced aren't they?

Cog

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Nope...and it was too bad I couldn't go. I had a handful of girls who asked me to go with them (the result of going to a sissy arts school, high female to male ratio). For a time I imagined that if I could take two at once, that would be pretty much the coolest thing ever.

• aarque
    aarque

I never attended any dances, games or anything until I was a senior. I wanted to attend the prom because it was a combination prom/senior dinner and the class valdictorian was going to be announced then. However, I needed permission from the PO because it was on a meeting night and he said absolutely no. So, I didn't go. But I found out later that he gave the OK to others so they could skip the meeting and go to the prom. I also found out I was named valdictorian.

• restrangled
    restrangled

No, I was allowed no dances, games or any outside activities. Just JW functions and I wasn't invited to those either.

My teenage years were spent mostly alone.

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit