Did you go to your prom?

by free2beme 16 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

My last post doubled up and I ended up seeing it twice, when it should have been once. So I though I would just edit it and make it into another topic related to High School. PROM! I went to mine, even though most Witnesses thought ill of it. I was not baptized until I was out of High School though. I thought it was okay, although it was more hype then reality. I think a lot of kids today, are getting burned out on it. So commercial and about what you spend on this and that. I even know a lot of quote "popular" young people who skip it. I thought it was just an event to mark up there as "did that ... been there" and would not really say it is a most do in life. Although, I am sure when my son does it, it will be photo's all night from a proud mom and dad. Did you go?

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

No. Why? Not because I was a JW, but, well, I posted my reason on the other thread you made. Plus, the money spent on prom could've bought me a handful of CDs, videogames, a new tv, etc.

• blondie
    blondie

I went to mine. It helps to have a non-JW father to "hide" behind. Sort of like a non-JW husband.

In my school it was finances that held most back from going. I had a progressive high school that did not require a student to have a date to attend, so a bunch of us single girls went together.

Blondie

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I did not go, as the person who studied with me, someone I knew at school, told me it would just be a bunch of drunk worldly people, etc. However, I later learned that this person DID go. Kind of hypocritical, doncha think?

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Nope. Didn't go to Prom... or graduation... or football games... you name it - I didn't go.

I think that a lot of the 'events' that they have in High School - while they may seem silly - are meant to expand a kiddo's horizons - and give them some sort of 'social skills' - which may come in handy later on in life.

Regards,

Jim TX

• gwyneth
    gwyneth

When I was a sophomore, I had a junior boyfriend who invited me to the junior-senior prom. I can't believe my parents let me go. I was given strict rules, and I was not allowed to go out after prom (some people drive to the beach, or they eat late suppers) but to come straight home. Even with the restrictions, I was in love and it was a magical night. When he brought me home at 11 p.m., my mother was up, and was very curt and abrupt with us. My date left a little bewildered (and much earlier than planned), and my mother confronted me that she'd read my diary while I was gone. (My diary was UNDER MY BED.) She had read about all the petting experimentation and sneaking out the window that I had been doing. My father had to "step aside" as an elder as a direct result. I could not get over the violation of my privacy for a long time.

Of course, the next year, I was banned from going. The now senior boyfriend dumped me the beginning of my junior year. It was the junior's year to decorate the facility, and I volunteered. We had a new boy in our class that year, and we became fast friends. There were no romantic feelings at all, but since we were both dateless, we decided to go to prom together. I had no money for a dress, so I took a strapless sundress ("What? No princessy dress?" said my Spanish teacher) and shortened the crinolin from the year before, and made an outfit. I then snuck it to my best friend's one afternoon, and later told my parents that I was spending the night with her. My friend's mother did my hair, and my date picked me up there. All pictures were at her house, by her mom. Prom was not that fun, because I was still pining after old boyfriend, and he was there with his new girlfriend. The point was, that I went. I don't remember how they knew, but my parents confronted me with suspicions that I went to prom, and when questioned point blank, I couldn't deny it. I was told I lied by omission. My father gave me the silent treatment for three days, but it was worth it.

My senior prom, I was already married. The night of my senior prom was a Pink Floyd concert. I chose the concert. A stoner girl in my class said, "Pink Floyd will be in concert anytime, but there is only one senior prom." I got deathly ill after the outdoor concert that rained on us, and was sick a month after, almost missing the entire last month of school my senior year.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Not a JW, but I still didn't go. I got pregnant in grade eleven and finished high school by correspondence.

I watched my children go, and I was terribly proud of both of them. My son, for wading through school while fighting crippling depression, and my daughter, well, for just being her. She knew I didn't have much money, so she put her dress together from consignment finds. She made sure the pieces could be used later. She wore a simple white shell dress with a silky green bolero jacket over top. Classic. I thought she was the most beautiful girl there, but I might be biased.

http://sharonhr.blogspot.com/2006/05/frugal-prom-fantasies-fashion-for-less.html

It just goes to show that we can celebrate without buying in to the hype. My JW husband also gripes about Christmas for the same reason. I dryly reply, not my Christmas. My Christmases are full of crafts, fun, people, and food.

http://frugalliving.about.com/cs/christmas/a/blChronsite.htm

• serendipity
    serendipity

My parents, both JWs, would have allowed me to go, with a safe JW boy, but I was required to pay for the dress, etc. I was too frugal to do so. Saving money for a car was a more important goal. I had gone to other school dances, and knew that I wouldn't be missing much.

• sandy
    sandy

I didn't go . . . I had my regrets for maybe a year or so then got over it. I could have gone. My parents were never strict. But, I was one of the good j0dub kids and always felt the need to please everyone. So, I didn't go even though I was sneaking around with my secret b/f. I would do pretty much whatever I wanted if I knew nobody was going to find out. I was too scared though, to go to the Prom. I didn't want to disappoint anyone. I used to feel bad thinking I didn't have a conscience. LOL I know better now.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

No.

I didn't have the gonads to defy my parents and I didn't have the social skills to get a date even if I did.

Since I left the WTS my parents have had a hard time getting used to the idea that they no longer control me and that I now can successfully function on my own.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit