Marijuana & Schizophrenia

by ICBehindtheCurtain 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

Schizophrenics and pre-Schizophrenics are judgement-imparied anyways. It's tough to get them to follow good advice. They are more likely to self-medicate than the general population. I'd say the high proportion of weed-smoking Schizophrenics is due to the higher likelihood that they will experiment.

From my personal observation, marijuana does no good for a Schizophrenic. My son agrees. It's a depressant.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I personally treated people who developed Schizophrenia after using various types of drugs. The people not ill before that and the team of physicians, after reviewing all factors, concluded the cause was drugs. So did the patients. Of course there are other causes sometimes.

Just like smoking and lung cancer, there are some (~20%) who get it for other reasons, and there are some who smoke and never get lung cancer. The public thinks this is a reason to not avoid the risk--typical conundrum of public health. I often wonder if these are the same people who buy lottery tickets and hope to win, though the chance of winning is much less than the gambling they're doing with their health.

We are genetically predisposed to lots of illnesses we may never get. Something triggers the genes. In some, if not many cases, drug or alcohol use is the trigger. It is true that using while the brain is still developing has been proven to be exceptionally harmful.

The prevalence of Schizophrenia is staggering IMO--millions have it in the US and it costs >$62 billion annually in the US economy alone.

The pro-mj movement is a lot more vocal than the healthcare community on this issue, so it gives society a very skewed idea. Public health officials should be ashamed of their silence.

I don't think anyone is saying the plant is at fault--lol. I think they're saying consuming it or smoking it is at fault.

You might be able to find more info at www.samhsa.gov. Good luck with your family members.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

The part that makes me weary of goverment sponsered information is that it is not a good sorce for inffformation becaused it is often used as a propaganda tactic to get you to do what the goverment wants namely make lots of money so we can collect lots of taxes, and anything that seems to interfear with this get the 2 thumbs down from the govermental propaganda machine, and anything that makes one question governmental authority, and think more freerer that the governmental authority restricted society in general.

That's why I distrust goverrrnment sponsored infomercials.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Then you have a very poor understanding of how government works then, frankiespeakin. Bureacrats have very different motives than politicians. I do notice a strong tendency for the bureaucrat to endure well beyond his usefulness. But the bureacrats are not the ones who collect the taxes, and their motive is not oppression. If they do make our life more difficult, it is more due to incompetence or ignorance than malice.

Measurement Canada, http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/inmc-mc.nsf/en/Home It was born when Canada decided to go metric. That was a few years ago. What are they doing today?

Emergency Preparadeness http://www.psepc-sppcc.gc.ca/index-en.asp emerged from the cold war. It evolved from A-bomb shelters.

The American http://www.fema.gov/ is no better. My pet peeve is that long-standing bureacrats are no good in an emergency. One needs a flexible and mobile tactical team for that. Like the army or the Peace Corps http://www.peacecorps.gov/.

But there are many others who make sure they remain useful.

The World Health Organization http://www.who.int/en/ You can be assured they will keep finding diseases to eradicate.

And the United Nations http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/ Will continue to find ways to improve our world. Otherwise, why would they exist? I predict that the UN's millenial goals set for 2015 will not be met, but that each agency will have reports justifying continued funding and support.

• Satanus
    Satanus

The history of the american govt, especially w regards to drugs, has led me to not trust it. The canadian govt is a different story. I think that our govt is much more trustworthy, here in canader. As well, some provincial govts are more trustworthy than others.

S

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

Thank you all for responding, I personally don't blame the plant, since I am sure there are beneficial uses for it, but I do think smoking it can affect you in a negative way. I have seen the negative effects of Marijuana use first hand and I have seen people that were smart and creative who had so many things going for them become isolated, depressed totally incapacitated Bums. It's really sad, that the addiction to this so called innocent drug can destroy so many lives. I suppose some people who use it once in a while and are already succesful, might not disrupt their lives as much as someone who starts doing weed young and is just starting out in their life who might have a predisposition to mental disease, but from what these studies say anyone can be affected negatively from it's use. So....I think for relaxation purposes a little wine is a safer bet.

IC

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    The schizophrenic human however, is a different story. Just leave poor Cannabis Sativa out of the equation of schizophrenia. The human race has been stupid for a long time. It's not the plant's fault that all people are stupid.

AMEN!!!

I always find it astounding that the doctors and drug companies have our population addicted to so many drugs that it is ridiculous and people are having all sorts of side effects from those drugs, yet nobody seems to be alarmed by it. Think I am overstating? Go ask your parents and grandparents what they are on for prescription meds. There are a ton of older people on high blood pressure meds, blood sugar meds, acid reflux meds, sleeping meds...just to name a few. Where is the outrage? Could it be because the big companies and the governments make huge money on the drug business? Pot is a solution for a lot of different ailments, but it is not taxable and the drug companies don't grow it, so it will never be legalized. Now ask yourself if you really think these things are not all connected...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/114660/1.ashx

AMEN!!!

The part that makes me weary of goverment sponsered information is that it is not a good sorce for inffformation becaused it is often used as a propaganda tactic to get you to do what the goverment wants namely make lots of money so we can collect lots of taxes, and anything that seems to interfear with this get the 2 thumbs down from the govermental propaganda machine, and anything that makes one question governmental authority, and think more freerer that the governmental authority restricted society in general.

That's why I distrust goverrrnment sponsored infomercials

AMEN!!!!

and for my novice debate: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/114660/1.ashx

PEACE, Mike

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine

I think the main problem with Marijuana is people over analyzing it. You can find a study that finds in favor of both opinions just like most things. (religion,etc.)

The thing that really bothers me is these studies give parents crazy ideas and they relay them to their children. If you tell a kid that Marijuana will "kill them", "make them go crazy", "make them addicted", and "ruin their life" than what happens when they figure out for themselves that it is not true? I'll tell you. They will remember you telling them the same thing about Heroine and Cocaine and figure you were wrong about that too. The LAST thing you want for your kids is for them to underestimate the power of these drugs! (trust me, I know)

It is better to tell them the truth and not exagerate it at all. They will find out later and "crying wolf" by putting Marijuana in the same category as hard drugs will only hurt you and them. And if it means that one day they experiment with Marijuana then it's not a big deal. It's harmless. The only real downside to it is lack of ambition. If this teaches them to stay away from the real drugs then you did the best thing for them.

I am not throwing out my opinion when I don't know what I'm talking about. The first time Heroine was put in front of me I remembered what they taught us in school about it. But, they said the same thing about Marijuana and I tried that and it was no big deal. So, since they said "all" drugs were the same and they "all" were just as bad I figured "Well, they were wrong about the weed so..."

I wish, so bad, that people would have been honest with me about drugs because I would have never tried the hard stuff. It led me to homelessness for 5 long years as a Heroine addict. I'll remember every night I slept on the sidewalk in the dead of winter for the rest of my life. I've been clean for over 5 years now but I am very lucky. Everyone else either died or are still out there.

So, when I think back to before all that started, the one thing that always stands out is the fact that we were told that all drugs are just as bad and they all are addictive. Please don't let your kid one day think to themselves "Well I smoked weed and never got addicted so..." THAT is the LAST thing you EVER want going through their head.

Be honest and don't listen to these "studies". I studied more than they ever could and I'm telling you how it is.

Save your children from that horror.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

Hey monkeyshine, You hit the nail right on it's F@#$ing Head!!!

... Everybody's got something to hide, Except, me and my Monkey.... LOL

PEACE, Mike

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine

That's just 'how it is' OFG and there's nothing more real than 'how it is'.

BTW...'Schizophrenia' is thinking that Marijuana causes Schizophrenia. That's as 'Schizin'' as it gets.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit